Author Topic: Negativity towards criticism  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Negativity towards criticism
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:03 am »
This is the exact same thread as the "spark" thread - just make one "Spore is going to suck" thread where all the peopl who havent played the game can complain together.

Why is it that whenever someone point out that Spore may not be as great as people want it to be, the above is the inevitable reaction?

(Please note that I am not trying to point any fingers or attack the specific member who made the above statement; that had more to do with the history of the OP of that particular thread than anything else I bet. Also note that I know this is technically the third thread I have started about negative aspects of Spore and the Spore community on here; I just want you to know that I am as excited about this game as you are. It is going to kick ass, and anyone who actually think it will suck are clearly demented. I am just cautiously optimistic about it. ;))

WWWWD?
(What Would Will Wright Do?)

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
Re: Negativity towards criticism
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
Did it occur to you that you are criticizing my criticism of excessive criticism?

My reaction was against the (rather ignorant) criticisms levelled against (once again - with feeling) A GAME THAT HASNT BEEN RELEASED YET!!! Get the point?

So go ahead complainers - vent your profound insights. Tell us about how much this game is going to suck because of a video you saw - or how the physics arent up to your expectations and how easy it should be to fix these problems (given what is I am sure a VAST knowledge of all things relating to game development.) Whine and cry about how the water phase should be included because it was promised (even though it wasnt.) Or how Will Wright promised (even though he didnt) that SPORE was going to be the greatest game ever when it's so obviously not meeting your expectations.

I hope that someone - somewhere - sees my point about these ridiculously misguided criticisms that have no basis in anything approaching reality. You are spreading a virus of negativity and you know almost NOTHING about this game.

Next time you wish to understand my motive - try a PM.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:51:07 am by papaboom »

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:58:11 am »
funny is the fact that those people who say it would be easy to do something are probably the ones who know less about procedural animations, texturing, etc...
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 12:32:18 pm »
funny is the fact that those people who say it would be easy to do something are probably the ones who know less about procedural animations, texturing, etc...

I recall just saying something not too much unlike what you just said yesterday. :) Which with this statement I completely agree, many of us here have no space to say the game is going to be horrible, at least give it a chance. Let's wait til we play it for at least a week before we start criticizing it :P

edit: I'm sorry for ever brining up this negativity, look what it has spawned. Any way it be best to delete this thread, I only see it going in a highly negative direction
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:34:25 pm by mccarty181 »
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 01:36:36 pm »

I recall just saying something not too much unlike what you just said yesterday. :) Which with this statement I completely agree, many of us here have no space to say the game is going to be horrible, at least give it a chance. Let's wait til we play it for at least a week before we start criticizing it :P

edit: I'm sorry for ever brining up this negativity, look what it has spawned. Any way it be best to delete this thread, I only see it going in a highly negative direction

Now you see how it works - some people are just begging for an excuse to whine. The truth is - Temple's point (like yours) has always been, that given the high degree of praise that is lavished on SPORE right now that the actual game - once released - cannot help but disappoint.. This is true - but it's more of a criticism on unrealistic expectations of people then it is a critique of SPORE. The problem is that it goes from a reasonable - if not obvious - assesment on human nature to a free-for-all of half-baked criticisms about SPORE. A game that - before release - has already pioneered several innovations in gaming - and doesnt deserve all the negativity being levelled at it on this board.

Offline derella

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »
Endless, often baseless, complaining has replaced baseball as the national past time... At least for internet denizens. ;) It's gotten to the point that many forums are useless as a medium for communication, because they are inundated with unfounded assumptions and rumors.

I personally don't see the point. If I don't like something, I move on. I don't spend my time complaining about it. When people purchase a product and it fails to meet their expectations, they are completely justified in complaining about it. But why would anyone waste their time talking about how much something is going to suck based on limited information? How about just not buying it?

This is the part where anyone who disagrees can call me a fanboi, and say I'm sucking up to the devs or letting the man walk all over me. Just bare in mind that Will Wright doesn't owe us anything, he hasn't promised anything, and 2 year old information isn't always going to reflect what a product is going to be at release.

Offline Jonny

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:06:21 pm »
I think the main problem is that most people are pretty much just talking out of their ass. Claims that "the spore editor is still ****ty" have absolutly no basis. What have we seen so far? A handfull of videos? Some screenshots? You've seen the interface, which actually looks quite polished. But somehow people think they know the inside scoop on things. Personally I don't mind people expressing their oppinions on Spore as a game, but it's another thing entirely to base your opinions on fabricated facts just to give yourself a bit more leverage.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:39:33 pm »
[Enter stage left]

Actor 1: "Hello.  It is my role (as the person I'm acting) to say something after failing to read fully, and therefore understand, what this thread is about."   [Stroll across the stage, look at feet, and eyes back up to audience]  "This may be something thoughtful, or clever.  But as usual, it will be something childish and pointless"

[Pause]

Actor 1: "I can't actually think of anything to say so...GoodBye!" [Run to stage right].

[Lights dim, curtains drawn]

Offline bluish_wolf

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 02:42:50 pm »
Endless, often baseless, complaining has replaced baseball as the national past time... At least for internet denizens. ;) It's gotten to the point that many forums are useless as a medium for communication, because they are inundated with unfounded assumptions and rumors.

You know, the majority of communication in general consists of unfounded assumptions and rumors. If everyone waited until they had all the relevant information, nobody would have much of an opinion on anything.
Uninstall... uninstall.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 03:19:27 pm »

Now you see how it works - some people are just begging for an excuse to whine. The truth is - Temple's point (like yours) has always been, that given the high degree of praise that is lavished on SPORE right now that the actual game - once released - cannot help but disappoint.. This is true - but it's more of a criticism on unrealistic expectations of people then it is a critique of SPORE. The problem is that it goes from a reasonable - if not obvious - assesment on human nature to a free-for-all of half-baked criticisms about SPORE. A game that - before release - has already pioneered several innovations in gaming - and doesnt deserve all the negativity being levelled at it on this board.

yay I learned something.......for once :P
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 12:05:43 am »
Did it occur to you that you are criticizing my criticism of excessive criticism?

My reaction was against the (rather ignorant) criticisms levelled against (once again - with feeling) A GAME THAT HASNT BEEN RELEASED YET!!! Get the point?

So go ahead complainers - vent your profound insights. Tell us about how much this game is going to suck because of a video you saw - or how the physics arent up to your expectations and how easy it should be to fix these problems (given what is I am sure a VAST knowledge of all things relating to game development.) Whine and cry about how the water phase should be included because it was promised (even though it wasnt.) Or how Will Wright promised (even though he didnt) that SPORE was going to be the greatest game ever when it's so obviously not meeting your expectations.

I hope that someone - somewhere - sees my point about these ridiculously misguided criticisms that have no basis in anything approaching reality. You are spreading a virus of negativity and you know almost NOTHING about this game.

Thanks.

Could I reccomend reading the entire post, not just your favourite parts? Because I did specify that I am fully confident Spore will be a great game, and that this was not intended as an attack on your person...

This, however, is directed at you specifically: Chill, man! Seriously, just chill.

That said, this is evolving ( ;D)  into a worthwhile discussion. Glad to see that happening.
WWWWD?

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 06:26:07 am »
wow....

...the drought must really be extremely dried-up dreadful since this is acutally a topic....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 06:29:28 am by Cosmosis »
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:46:04 am »

Thanks.

Could I reccomend reading the entire post, not just your favourite parts? Because I did specify that I am fully confident Spore will be a great game, and that this was not intended as an attack on your person...

This, however, is directed at you specifically: Chill, man! Seriously, just chill.

That said, this is evolving ( ;D) into a worthwhile discussion. Glad to see that happening.

You could try taking your own advice. Did you not ask "Why is it that whenever someone point out that Spore may not be as great as people want it to be, the above is the inevitable reaction?"

That was MY reaction - so forgive me for - you know - actually answering your question with a truthful and reasonable response. You disclaim it by saying - it's not directed at me - yet include my name in the quote - which is an underhanded way of indicting me while disavowing yourself of the actual indicting. "Reading the entire post" - that in fact is good advice you should consider follwing rather than doling out. Note the following:

"So go ahead complainers - vent your profound insights. Tell us about how much this game is going to suck because of a video you saw"

That wasnt directed at you - and I identify the target of that statement at the very beginning.. Secondly if you had - you know - actually read the entire thread you wouldve seen:

"The truth is - Temple's point (like yours) has always been, that given the high degree of praise that is lavished on SPORE right now that the actual game - once released - cannot help but disappoint.. This is true - but it's more of a criticism on unrealistic expectations of people then it is a critique of SPORE. "

But instead - you just jumped to conclusions and singled me out for a second go round at judging my responses without regard to their actual meaning. So again - how about following your own (condescending) advice and "just chill."

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 07:11:35 am »
My my, arent we touchy today.

Ok, I admit I misinterpreted your post. And leaving your name in the quote may have been por judgement. I thought that by saying that it wasnt an attack on your person, you wouldnt interpret it as such. Obviously that wasnt enough. What can I say, it was a cut and paste thing.

Anywho, this isnt what I made the topic for. I hope you got it out of your system now though. ;)
WWWWD?

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:24:42 am »
Sorry - just hadnt had my coffee yet when I made that post. I didnt realize it came off so mean. Again - sorry for the meanness.