Author Topic: So many expectations  (Read 10703 times)

Offline deesru

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Squeek
    • View Profile
So many expectations
« on: March 25, 2006, 12:12:29 am »
I've been coming here for about a week and a half now, just now signed up and started posting now, cause well, Im bored, so thats that.  But what I wanted to know is that with all these hopes and expectations, do any of you worry that youre setting yourself up for disapointment?  Normally Id be right there with you, putting forth suggestions in hopes of somehow contributing to the game we all are so psyched about, but with as broad-reaching a game as Spore is (and lets face it, he wanted to call it Sim Everything for a reason), so too are the ideas from this board and others of what we would want put in the game.  Suggestions are coming in at a rate that browsing casually each day I cant keep track of.  The thing is though, its just one game.  Even with the compression, the revolutionary structure, its still governed by what the fine people devoloping the game can implement in the time and resources available.  Which to me says that with all of whats already been confirmed to be in the game, I really dont see all that much more than a few suggestions and some slight asthetics actually being considered by the team.

Im not bashing anybody posting what they think would honestly make the game better in any way.  I actually agree with a lot of them.  But I also dont want one of two things happening:
1.)  people whove put so much effort into creating these ideas for the game end up dissapointed/offended if most of which are ignored
2.)  the game designers actually listening to them, and worry too much about fitting in these detail that the overall gameplay ends up lacking, or worse, these added features end up pushing players away because the added customablity or whatever is unapealing to them for whatever reasons they have

Sorry for the long post, and again, sorry if its hard to follow (its 2 am here, and Im only on 4 hours of sleep to begin with).  I just really wanted that put out in the open.  Thanks  :)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: So many expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:34:35 am »
This is like the millonth post of new people asking "why do you have expectations? you are just going to be let down". All i can say is i never liked limited myself and sudgest things knowing they might not ever come to pass. Why? Becuase its fun and makes others think to. And guess what? Will Wright contacted me, and the people at mMaxis read this forum. So even though alot of the stuff may be 90% crap we think up aand will never come to pass there is that 10% that of good ideas from the forum they may use. And watched or not i enjoy discussing such things. In short if your worried you will be disapointed then don't post sudgestions. If you don't care like me, then have at it and i will enjoy your own unque view and maybe we will come up with ideas we would not have thought up on our own. And ust maybe the Spore team will read it to. ;)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:37:02 am »

Offline Armadous

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:54:20 am »
I've yet to learn from let downs. I can't help but get excited about this game.

I can't say being realistic is ever that much fun. People who always wana be overly realistic tend to be real downers. I may have a tendency to run away with my imagination but I like it that way.

Besides, the potential of spore makes it worth the risk.

Gaming Stream : winamp required

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 01:08:20 am »
I got pretty hyped for HL2 and it rocked my face off, no reason to think that spore won't be able to do the same.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 01:10:11 am »

you may not belive in Will Wright
but he belives in you "The Gamer"

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 01:14:51 am »

you may not belive in Will Wright
but he belives in you "The Gamer"

I came so close to seeing him.  :'( If only that Security guard hadn't popped out of nowhere and demanded to see my event badge. :(

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:36:47 am »
As WW said: 90% of what people create is crappy, 7% is good, and 3% is exceptional. That's ten per cent that are useful ideas, and I think we're already usually skirting the line between Crappy and Good. There's always the rare exceptional idea we come up with here, the diamonds in the rough, if you will, and one point where I think absolutely every idea is worth the effort is in creating creatures -- not because we expect to be able to realize them to 100%, but because they can give the dev team important hints to ideas they would have never come up with if left to themselves.

Because even dev teams -- they do hallowed work, don't get me wrong ;) -- can only ever think of so much in terms of zany character designs.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:44:55 am »
Its our voiced expectations of a game that help developers find out what is important and what they may need to improve on. For instance Stardock never expected their ship designer to be so popular, now that they know they're improving its functionality and adding in new options.

Offline The M.A.N6

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'M WITH STUPID ^
    • View Profile
    • Le Huitième Jour
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 02:11:18 am »
Like for every game, there is always the people that are too 'in'.
You know, it's a common phenomen.
"Hey ! And if theye add a feature for the creatures can create breed and construct a bakery !!!§§§ loool !§§§" .... Okay, in that case, that's a really stupid exemple than i've find in the worst forum of the french community. There is _absolutly no risk_ for the dev having a so crazy idea.
But here it's different. Here the developpers can see a message like this and say "Hey, creating objects themselves, it's a great idea !". Okay that may be cool, but it's just a feature, and maybe an unuseful feature. No, that's unuseful.
So you're right, there is the risk than the dev want to add too many features by seeing all these crazy ideas in the forum. That's a risk. And i'm a bit feared about that too.
That's clear : i don't want the game of the century, i just want the game i've seen at the GDC 2005, the game that made me imagine a new sort of game.

So now, i can be disapointed when i will (wright ? ahah...>.>) have the game for real. But i know i will not, because it's not a big man with a dirty shirt that is directing the game (Okay, his name begin by a G :-°), it's an intelligent man, more than most of the people, he know what he make and what we want really.
Will will (:°) make the game the good choices, he will not say "Hey, we will add all that they say !", he will continue to make the game he shown, by adding _one_ or _two_ features. And the game he shown, is the game i want. So...
Les pas des soldats
Avançant en c½ur.
Sans peur ni émoi,
Juste, de la fureur.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 02:36:39 am »

I came so close to seeing him.  :'( If only that Security guard hadn't popped out of nowhere and demanded to see my event badge. :(

You should have yelled at him telling him you were from Gaming Steve's forum ;)

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 03:08:51 am »

Well you learned your lesson, in order to get away with things like that you have to look like you know what you're doing, then even the secuirty guard wont question you. It's all about the mind games, ninja power.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 03:09:56 am »
I have super high expectations...  but a full 0% if it comes from hype.  My expectations were maxed out immediately after being introduced to Spore via the GDC demo (which is a tech demo not an ad demo).

As for being let down... I've been let down by Fable, Driv3r, Empire Earth3 and that's only recently... if I were to go back even 5 years I couldn't count all the games that have let me down.  I've learned to expect little and hope for a lot.  Despite how it may be voiced, most of what people talk about on the forums are not expectations, they're hopes.  Expectations are what happens when Will himself says something (or strongly hints that something) will be in the game.

Feed our hopes, in the absolute worst situation these ideas are excellent creative exercises.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 11:00:20 am »
I think part of the exchange of ideas and the creation of creatures has been a good way for people interested in the game to pass the time. A year has been a long time to wait since the first video came out. This community has formed and most people here are regulars. They came to ask questions and stayed to discuss and play. I think most everyone knows that everything they want will probably not be in the game, but to know that Will Wright and the Dev team come here and actually read and listen to the ideas means alot. At least they are being heard. When the game does come out, look at all the people we have to share it with.  :)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 11:02:33 am »
I think you forget LadyM... most of the people from these forums might end up disappearing for a week or two while they make their uber-creatures and forget about the rest of the world.  But I am sure everyone will be back before too long and I hope that even if it does end up super popular that after a while things calm down so that (as with the "new creature" threads) we don't get 100 new threads a day.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail