Author Topic: Saddam Hussein Condemend to Death by Hanging  (Read 31463 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Saddam Hussein Condemend to Death by Hanging
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 02:22:07 pm »
Some of us support the death penalty.
Hah. Why?

If you have two children and one punches the other on the shoulder, do you punish him by hitting him back? I hope you realise how extremely hypocritical capital punishment is in a society that supposedly places such a high value on the "sanctity" of human life. Or is that sanctity void if the person you're murdering is also guilty of murder?

It's my opinion and I am allowed to have one though I may stopping posting them and keep it to myself from now on.

Keep it civil and on topic please.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 02:29:57 pm by LadyM »

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 02:28:45 pm »
So everyone seems to agree that executing him will cause a major retaliation by his followers? Is there anyone who DOESN'T feel this is the case?
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2006, 03:35:42 pm »
This is not about Capital Punishment.
Quote from: The title of the thread
Saddam Hussein Condemend to Death by Hanging
Explain to me what you understand by the term "Capital Punishment."

Just let it go and quit being an agitator.
Hahaha, I'm an agitator? Saying that everyone's entitled to have their own opinion is nice and everything, but you're going to have to accept that sometimes someone is going to disagree with yours.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
LadyM, I'm not saying that pro-capital punishment is an extremist view, but it is a disciplinarian view.  I don't think an "everyone is entitled to their opinion" argument should be used for it.  I especially don't feel you should adopt an attitude of being persecuted for your beliefs when these beliefs involve exacting punishment on certain people.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 06:22:10 pm »
Jesus Pat, what the hell is wrong? The OP did not really have any major indication about the direction of the thread whatsoever, and given the nature of the topic I think it's only fair that people talk about the legitimacy of capital punishment. If anything, it's the fault of the OP for not posting something of higher content.

That said, I'm going to start another thread to debate the legitimacy of capital punishment, just to keep you happy.

The thread is now about the political implications of Saddam Hussein's execution, for both Iraq and the US.

EDIT: Just an additional note -
LadyM, it would be a shame for you to keep your opinions to yourself, it's rare enough that we get to hear them, and I don't think that there's any need to withhold what you think here. However, you must expect that when you do say something, that someone might disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion, but unless you're prepared to back it up, other people are also entitled to say that your opinion is misguided or ill-informed or just plain wrong. That's what Bastardman did, he wasn't attacking you - he was just stating his own opinion in relation to yours. Now, maybe as a moderator you don't want to get into a heated argument or flame war; but unless you feel you can't control yourself I don't see why any discussion you participate in has to be one. It's unfair to other people to hide behind the "it's just my opinion" defence when they ask you why you feel like you do, but it would also be a loss if you didn't post your opinions at all.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:39:46 pm by Daxx »

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 06:30:59 am »
So everyone seems to agree that executing him will cause a major retaliation by his followers? Is there anyone who DOESN'T feel this is the case?

Yeah I believe a major retaliation will come anyway, or maybe it's already going on. Though you might want to think about who his real followers are...

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2006, 06:17:28 am »
Some of us support the death penalty.
Hah. Why?

If you have two children and one punches the other on the shoulder, do you punish him by hitting him back? I hope you realise how extremely hypocritical capital punishment is in a society that supposedly places such a high value on the "sanctity" of human life. Or is that sanctity void if the person you're murdering is also guilty of murder?

Why? read here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7545.msg260664#msg260664
If one child punches the other, there would be consequences or else they will continue to do it. I do believe in discipline.

I don't feel that way. I don't think much will happen because of it. To most of them, he is probably already dead. He has been out of power for so long now, they know he won't be back. I could be wrong but I'm not concerned about that.

LadyM, I'm not saying that pro-capital punishment is an extremist view, but it is a disciplinarian view.  I don't think an "everyone is entitled to their opinion" argument should be used for it.  I especially don't feel you should adopt an attitude of being persecuted for your beliefs when these beliefs involve exacting punishment on certain people.

I probably do have a disciplinarian view. If you want to see my view on capitol punishment read the thread link above.
I was not feeling persecuted so much as being laughed at for my opinion. I never insist that I am always right, but I do have core beliefs.

EDIT: Just an additional note -
LadyM, it would be a shame for you to keep your opinions to yourself, it's rare enough that we get to hear them, and I don't think that there's any need to withhold what you think here. However, you must expect that when you do say something, that someone might disagree with you. You're entitled to your opinion, but unless you're prepared to back it up, other people are also entitled to say that your opinion is misguided or ill-informed or just plain wrong. That's what Bastardman did, he wasn't attacking you - he was just stating his own opinion in relation to yours. Now, maybe as a moderator you don't want to get into a heated argument or flame war; but unless you feel you can't control yourself I don't see why any discussion you participate in has to be one. It's unfair to other people to hide behind the "it's just my opinion" defence when they ask you why you feel like you do, but it would also be a loss if you didn't post your opinions at all.

Since you have asked so nicely, I have decided to post my opinion.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7545.msg260664#msg260664
I'm sure everyone will disagree with me and thats okay. I"m used to it by now and it won't change how I feel. I can control myself just fine in a discussion and I wasn't hiding behind my statement. I just have concerns about getting involved in some discussions. I actually hate debating and arguing in real life so its not something I choose to do.

As far as Saddam Hussein, he was tried in his own country and sentenced to death by his own people. If they cheer his death, then that is their choice. I won't be cheering but I won't be sad.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2006, 06:33:21 am »
However, in case you have not heard, Saddam can still appeal. All he has to do is guess the words...

-Lego

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2006, 03:46:24 pm »
I don't think Saddam is "forgotten" by the people. He was their supreme ruler for decades, his face was on every building, his name was in every speech.

And if you have two choices: A) get killed for something you did, however trivial, or B) get killed for taking the bus, going to the mosque, standing on the street etc, well, they choice is really simple.

I also noted people tend to get very patriotic when their country is bombed into civil war. A serb I know says that most people were quite unhappy with Milosevic when he was in power, but when NATO bombs were falling on civilian targets, opinions changed fast.

Regarding the death penalty, I have no moral objections to taking the life of someone who comitted a terrible crime, but there's always a chance the person is innocent. As long as that chance exists, it's unreasonable to exact that punishment. When it comes to the US system, well, I cannot agree with it at all. The costs are insane and there are several cases of innocents executed.

Proof can be falsified. Remember that. It's harder today, but it is possible.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2006, 03:51:32 pm »
you can find footage of steven irwins death on the internet for gods sake, i would not be surprised if this got out,

You serious? Steve Irwin's actual death clip? That's inhumane!

So when is Saddam's death gonna be televised? ;)

But to be serious a moment here, Death by Hanging aint too bad. He could of gotten punished by worse things. I think I saw burning at the stake up there. I always thought they give him the needle or something.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:00:05 pm by Met »

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2006, 06:32:40 pm »

I don't feel that way. I don't think much will happen because of it. To most of them, he is probably already dead. He has been out of power for so long now, they know he won't be back. I could be wrong but I'm not concerned about that.

I'm just as happy as the next guy/gal to see Saddam getting his just deserts, but I have to disagree with you on this. I think there will be an upsurge in violence. I agree with you that to most of the insurgency he's already dead, thats if they cared that he was ever alive in the first place, but it will be another highly visible excuse for more killings. They'll do it to continue to break the US's morale, and to give the intellectuals another pair of dots to connect in a growing picture of why they should think we shouldn't be there. (No offense ment to those who feel that way. I just have to deal with A LOT of professors who like to use their classrooms as a soapbox)

EDIT: None of this is to say I don't think Saddam should be exicuted. In the long run I think it will be for the best. I just think that things are going to get worst for a while.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 06:37:03 pm by Fade2gray »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006, 10:41:59 am »
However, in case you have not heard, Saddam can still appeal. All he has to do is guess the words...

-Lego

the cover of the newspaper "the sun" gave out its own "saddam hangman kit" in which they had a the gallows and saddam cut out peices that you used to play hangman.
Never mind your own business.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:28 am »
They'll do it to continue to break the US's morale, and to give the intellectuals another pair of dots to connect in a growing picture of why they should think we shouldn't be there. (No offense ment to those who feel that way.)

About that...
1. So you're saying the terrorists / loyal followers of their leader, just want to "break the US's morale? You don't think they want to send some kind of message, you don't think they sacrifice themselves because they think it's for a greater good for their own country/nation/people?
2. I wonder why the lower people in europe are so afraid of terrorists, if all they want is to harm the US. (Seriously)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2006, 12:47:19 pm »
2. I wonder why the lower people in europe are so afraid of terrorists, if all they want is to harm the US. (Seriously)
Tell the terrorists that. Remember the London bombings?
Your grouping all terrorist groups under one banner-The IRA, for example, is a Catholic Irish terrorist organisation.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006, 01:23:51 am »
Actually I was saying that that's what Fade2Grey is doing.