Author Topic: New Hobbit Movie(s)?  (Read 12081 times)

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
New Hobbit Movie(s)?
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:20:15 pm »
Thats right folks! You asked for it, and you got it! MGM is in the middle of plans to produce not one but TWO, yes count them TWO, Hobbit movies. They will follow the wild and woolie adventures of our favorite midget as first put forth in JRR Tolkiens 1937 novel. As yet, no director has been named, but MGM has stated they'd be thrilled to get Peter Jackson working on this.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/741/741713p1.html

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Hobbit Movie(s)?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:16:30 pm »
OMFG, YES!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do not have a doubt within my mind that Peter Jackson will direct 'The Hobbit' as well. It was a heartbreaking experience for him to leave LoTR behind, so for him to have the chance to go through it all over again would probably make him absolutely ecstatic.  8)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 10:36:02 pm by Khaz-Rhoz-Zek »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:37:47 pm »
All I can say is, what took them so long to figure out this was a good idea?  DUH!

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:44 pm »
All I can say is, what took them so long to figure out this was a good idea?  DUH!

Seriously, I've been dying for this, but eh, if I can get TWO movies out of this, it will be all worth it.  :D

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 12:20:48 am »

Copyright issues.  About three million people, across hundreds of countries own some kind of copyright to the Hobbit.

I'm a little worried about them completely ruining this though.  Two Hobbit movies seem like they're just trying to milk it for as long as possible.  What are they going to do next?  The Silmarillion?   ::)

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 01:02:53 am »

Copyright issues.  About three million people, across hundreds of countries own some kind of copyright to the Hobbit.

I'm a little worried about them completely ruining this though.  Two Hobbit movies seem like they're just trying to milk it for as long as possible.  What are they going to do next?  The Silmarillion?   ::)

That I'd like to see, wonder how long it would be. I always thought it would be kind of cool to see a Hobbit movie, if only for the mental image of Smaug swooping down from his lair to toast the town. But what would the second movie be about?
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 11:23:54 am »
Sorry, the only one who could have captured the dullness of Silmarillon was Andrei Tarkovsky, and he's dead.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 08:00:13 pm »
Seeing about 7 years ago there was some kind of Hobit stage show going around I didn't think it would be that hard to organise right if they could do it for a stage show.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 08:56:59 pm »
I guess in some ways I'm interested to see it be two movies, because hopefully they can fit more of the story into them. Then again, I always assumed there'd be one movie and it does smack somewhat of milking the franchise.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:59:20 am »
Not Peter Jackson again...  :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 06:36:06 am »
Dont complain. If you want an epic, you assign Jackson as director. Its the law.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 07:31:59 am »
There were rumors about a Hobbit movie going around when the second LOTR was released.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 12:54:27 am »
I guess in some ways I'm interested to see it be two movies, because hopefully they can fit more of the story into them. Then again, I always assumed there'd be one movie and it does smack somewhat of milking the franchise.

My point was that the Hobbit was not a long story.  It wasn't even half as long as the Fellowship of the Ring.  There is absoloutly no reason why they need to turn this in to two movies, except to make more money.  I loved the LOTR movies, but I'm fully expecting another unneccesarily long, padded out movie.  Two, infact.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 01:25:07 am »
Dont complain. If you want an epic, you assign Jackson as director. Its the law.

I wanted Uwe Bowl.  ::) (just kidding)

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 11:16:25 pm »
I am worried about this two movie thing too. Were are they going to end movie 1? I loved The Hobbit, but only seeing the first half will leave me feeling like I just watched a two hour advertisement for the next movie.

As to other renditions of the Hobbit, there used to be a puppet show put on every year by this weird shop in downtown Riverside (CA) called Dragon Marsh. I never saw it, but I heard that their Smog was quite the spectacle. Last I heard they had quit doing the show.