Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights 2
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 06:07:49 pm »
Fallout has a deep, highly interactive storyline, which is something all of those other games lack. They're either hack'n'slashes or action-adventures.

The storyline isnt what makes an RPG :P it's all about gaining skill and customization. Besides, Diablo II has a great storyline, there's nothing wrong with it!. Role play games have many different sub-genres, you can't call something an RPG by it's combat style, storyline, or point of view (first person/third person). Diablo, Fallout, Final Fantasy, Kotor, and System Shock, and Oblivion are all examples of very different RPG's.

NRG is absolutely right. You may choose to adopt a special place in your heart for something like Fallout 2 (which bethesda, makers of Oblivion is now making the sequel to, you may be interested to note) but it has no particular traits that labels it as 'more RPG' than the others. The argument you use to claim Diablo is not an RPG is highly subjective and thus, shouldn't really be used to determine the genre of a game.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 06:14:42 pm »
NRG is absolutely right. You may choose to adopt a special place in your heart for something like Fallout 2 (which bethesda, makers of Oblivion is now making the sequel to, you may be interested to note) but it has no particular traits that labels it as 'more RPG' than the others. The argument you use to claim Diablo is not an RPG is highly subjective and thus, shouldn't really be used to determine the genre of a game.

No, he is absolutely wrong. The storyline is central to what an RPG, not the ability to customize characters or gain skills.

And I'm infuriated that Bethesda is developing Fallout 3.  >:(

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:23 pm »
The company that made fallout 1 and 2 is gone. If bethesda didn't buy the licence there never would've been another one.

Yes, the storyline is central but YOU as a consumer cannot determine which storyline is more deep, more meaningful and more RPG-ish than any other. Oblivion's story is very deep as far as I'm concerned and the gameplay is just as lateral as that of fallout. Just because you dont like that particular game or that particular story doesn't mean its no longer an RPG, it means you dont like it, thats all. The genre of the game is completely independant of your own personal feelings about the storyline. Diamblo, Fallout and Oblivion are all based on crucial storylines, they all centre around gaining experience and improving your character and they all allow the player to participate in Role Play. The quality or quantity of these atributes is of no concern. They have them and so, they define the game.

Offline NRG753

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 06:22:18 pm »
No, he is absolutely wrong. The storyline is central to what an RPG, not the ability to customize characters or gain skills.

And I'm infuriated that Bethesda is developing Fallout 3.  >:(

but every game is centered around a story!

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 07:36:05 pm »
An RPG is NOT about gaining experience. Any game where a character develops as you progress can be a roleplaying game. Hell, even that isn't necessarily true, but there's got to be something to separate RPGs from FPSs. In order to simulate character development, most games use some sort of experience system, but in a game like Zelda (which is undoubtedly an RPG), the character develops by gaining skills and items, but never levels. Metroid could be an RPG in this same way. If it were up to me, it would be defined as one, but unfortunately most people hear RPG and think XP.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 07:39:51 pm »
yes, but if you read the argument, I was saying that you cant determine an RPG by the depth of its story...

Offline Sylvos

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 02:51:27 am »
Wow... lots of good arguments here. I'm not a hard-core gamer so I would consider Diablo as an RPG before I read this thread but now I'm getting a big confused.  ;D

Ah well I cannot really say a single word against Diablo since it was the first game in the genre that I've ever played and it was quite a pleasant experience to be honest.  ::)

Offline NRG753

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 05:09:32 am »
Of course it's an RPG! It's sub-genre would be Action RPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 05:07:51 am »
I was very disappointed in the moding part of this game. Its is almost impossible to make custom content for it. On the good side it has an awesome character creation menu. The best i have seen. They need just that as a stand alone for making character sheets for D&D.

Offline skateboarding118

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 06:26:26 pm »
I didn't like the original neverwinter nights, so I don't think I'll be getting it. besides, I can't run it anyways.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 11:50:22 am »
I Here It Is Good.

I Got It Only To Find My Computer Won't Run It.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 12:30:07 pm »
I Hear It Is Good.

I Got It Only To Find My Computer Won't Run It.

Why capitalise every word?

I never liked the Neverwinter Games. I got bored: click on an enemy and watch your character attack them for about 30 seconds with no player input. Agonising.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2007, 03:13:36 am »
Yeah what i always have had a bit of a problem with is the lack depth in NWN. Both in the terms of character creation, story and actually play. ToEE was a lot more fun for me even if it is a short game with a lot more bugs. Now NWN2 have done some improvements but it still got a long way to go. Like where is the non-lethal damage? Why are so many classes diffrent from the PnP class? Why did they take away those cool wings that Dragon Disciples use to have? And why do they not implement a privative flight system? (Not that hard when you think about it. Just make a simple flight animation and let only range weapons hurt the guy.)

I think a bit part of the problem might be the game engine in self. Like Hydro mention is a lot harder to mod meaning that is also more hard coded. Flexibility is something i would prefer and it would also let the game become more true to a PnP DnD session. It is not the game engine i would try to design.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:14 am »
Its where Obsidian screwed up. They actually used a primitive version of the NWN engine to make NWN2. Hence some of the bugs that have been ironed out of NWN are again present in NWN2 but amplified by the fact that an entirely new set of developers had to work on it.

And wen I say primitive build, I mean the reworked with an old pre-alpha version of the NWN Aurora engine, so it literally started with a whole host of bugs that the new designers either didnt know about or didnt care enough to fix.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 07:54:34 am »
Necro bump!

This is a game I've been wanting to try out for a long time, but unfortunately, it's system requirements are ridiculous.  Especially as it doesn't even look all that great.  I finally got a new computer that's capable of playing it, but even then it gets pretty choppy in places.  So far, that's my biggest complaint, though I hear the expansion somewhat fixes that.

It may not be as good as Baldurs Gate II, but it is a lot better than the massivly overrated, original Neverwinter Nights.  The story, the cutscenes, the characters and everything are just so much better, I'm surprised to see so much hate towards the game.  Fair enough, I never played the earlier, much glitchier versions of the game, but so far I'd rate the game, better than even Knights of the Old Republic, and I haven't even tried out any of the multiplayer or toolset features.   :)

Oh, and I don't think it's been posted yet, so here's the first official downloadable module that will be available for the game: Mysteries of Westgate
http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/142/14212907.html