Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Neverwinter Nights 2
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »
My Collectors Edition Neverwinter Nights 2 (The Lawfull Good Edition) arrived today, and after a few hours of play i'm already hooked, it looks good, plays well and gives you the usual 'soft' introduction to the system before getting right on with some proper action.

The character generator is great, but can be bypassed if you are the impatient type, loads of classes and races, so plenty of scope for making varied charactors, and as it is still a Wizzards of the coast game there are tonnes of spells and feats etc(as you would expect).

Also you get the full edition of the first game and both expasions in the collectors edition, so you get more hours of gamesplay that you can shake a stick at (can you shake a stick at gameplay?) and all for £35. Reccommended for all the roleplayers out there.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights 2
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:27:37 pm »
How good is it, on a scale of one to ten?

One being NWN 1, ten being Baldur's Gate 2.

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:30:13 pm »
not far enough in yet to properly judge but i would say probably some where inbetween NWN and BG2

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 01:07:00 am »
I find that its fun so far.  I have doen the tutorial and I am about an hour into the main campaign and its very fun for me so far killing and all that good stuff.  The story in interesting enough.  I don't know how it is with other classes in the game but as I play I feel like the game was tailored for the class I picked.  Perhaps I just got lucky that the Cleric has alot of options in the story but having my healing abilities help out some of the minor characters is a big plus.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:47:12 am »
Im trying really hard to like it, I loved nwn, but for some reason this game has been an uphill battle so far.
It took a long time to install, it had an 83mb patch waiting, took another 15 minutes to DL and patch.
Then I experienced severe sound stutter and poor video during the 4 load screens for nvidea and so on.
And I have been trying to create a warlock, but I cant figure out what his primary stat is, the manual is like 25 pages long, a horrible piece of dung, and it say absolutely nothing about classes, stats, feats ..... anything, and the PDF manual on the DVD is the same carp, I cant even figure out how to quicksave, since I cant remap the keys from the options menu, at least I couldnt find the remap option, and yet they give the tip "save early, save often", hrmpf, I also wanted to remap the key that highlights all characters and items that you can interact with on screen, its on the Z key now, used to be on TAB.
Graphics are ok, story is fine so far, I have just picked up the drawf at the inn, I gave up making a warlock, and have rolled a wizard then a rogue, but I wanted to play a warlock so I find Im losing interest in the game already .....
Also the conversations seem very unpolished, the voice acting is excellent, but the coding behind it is lazy, there are virtually no pause between the recorded sound files, so it sounds rushed and computergenerated, a 0.5 second pause between sentences could have gone a long way towards more immersion.
Buff effects are annoying, a simple mage armor spell creates a huge intricately fashioned bubble around you, looks pretty, but in a battle, with several buffs going on 3 party members, its just impossible to see who is who and where or what everyone is, couple that with the insanely high walls used for the interior of buildings, wich seem to do its best to royally screw the 3d isometric view, by placing towering walls around tiny rooms so you have to look from straight above the heads instead of from an angle, well suffice to say, that was the reason I deleted my wizard, couldnt see a darn thing during the fight for Bevil's siblings.

On the plus side, the NPCs seem to respond extremely well to your chosen proffesion and character trait, I have played the tutorial with a good wizard and a wicked rogue, and responses were very different, my wizard even found himself being the student of Tarmas.
The overall feel of the game is like a much improved NWN though, the graphics style is nice, the clothes finally look nice, new cutscenes make the story come out much much better than it ever did in NWN, even though the scenes in NWN were voiced, they still felt somewhat generic, talking to important NPCs in NWN2 feels great now.

My biggest gripe is still the manual though, worst piece of poo I have seen so far, because you would expect a rulebook with an official wizards of the coast D&D game, the Americans and Canadians did get those nice big 177 page manuals, why they chose to give Europeans that crappy excuse for a manual is beyond me, it has already ruined a great deal of the pleasure I could have gotten from this game.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:40 am »
After the turtorial I playied for around 1 hour after that I went back to the store to get my money back

The Story was great and the characters was fun especialy Daghal Ironfist  ;D loved him but the game was to much like Baldur's gate  :-\
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 08:26:48 am »
Baldur's gate  :-\
WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS?!

Baldur's Gate is one of the greatest RPGs ever to come to the PC.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:40:16 am »
Baldur's gate  :-\
WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS?!

Baldur's Gate is one of the greatest RPGs ever to come to the PC.

Sure baldur's gate might be the greatest RPG for some peaple and sure i respect that but i dont like it or any game that reminds me of it, I'm more of a FF-,Oblivion-rpg:er  ;D
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 08:51:40 am »
Fair enough.

I still have no idea whether or not to bother with this game, though...  :-\

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:25:07 am »
After the turtorial I playied for around 1 hour after that I went back to the store to get my money back

The Story was great and the characters was fun especialy Daghal Ironfist  ;D loved him but the game was to much like Baldur's gate  :-\

And what's wrong with Baldur's Gate, the king of all RPGs? It practically laid the foundation for all the RPGs of the RPG golden age.  >:(

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 09:26:32 am »

Sure baldur's gate might be the greatest RPG for some peaple and sure i respect that but i dont like it or any game that reminds me of it, I'm more of a FF-,Oblivion-rpg:er  ;D

Let's get this straight, sir: Oblivion isn't an RPG and the FF series, save for only a couple of them, is a mockery of what an RPG should be.

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 09:27:22 am »
Fair enough.

I still have no idea whether or not to bother with this game, though...  :-\

Yeah, after the debacle that was NWN, I'm rather hesitant to put my head on the chopping block again.  :-\

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
How was NWN a debacle? I'll be honest, I've never played more than the demo (a couple times), but I've never heard anything but good stuff.

Khaz, before you get defensive, know that I am earnestly asking what you think about this game. I'm not attacking you for having an opinion, I'm not getting on your case for disagreeing with what I've been told, and I'm not trying to start an argument. I am legitimately curious about the statement you just made.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 11:30:47 am »
It was one of those games that really didn't live up to the hype. Gamespot gave it a 9.2. Baldur's Gate 2 got a 9.2, and believe me, NWN is no BG2.

It's not a bad game or anything, but in the end, it just wasn't that well executed. Running around Neverwinter starts to feel very samey after a while, especially when the tileset system uses tiles that each take up about 10 square meters, so if you want a 2 x 1 tavern, it'll probably look exactly the same as every other 2 x 1 tavern any other player has ever made. This brings up other issues, such as "corridor" tiles being able to hold about 8 characters standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

There's also the fact that the gameplay feels severely dumbed down now that you're only directly controlling a single character, as opposed to the six you could command at a given time in BG2. The plot is also dull and clicheed and pales in comparison to BG2.

That's off the top of my head. It's playable, sure. But it's not a 9.2.

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 12:05:09 pm »
Bastardman summed up my misgivings with NWN quite well, though I would be a bit more harsh in my description of it.