Author Topic: 300  (Read 19776 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: 300
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 04:39:25 pm »
Me and a few others are gonna go see this at an IMAX theater.
I usually don't get stoked for movies so much, but this time I sure am.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 05:59:28 pm »
Ah, is there nothing that unites man (specifically men) like the prospect of extreme violence? I challenge anyone to find a single guy who isnt looking forward to this movie (provided theyve heard of it, obviously)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 06:55:36 pm »
i like the statment from time magazine that having the actors in such good shape showing off ther abs was the only hope of geting any wemon into the theator

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007, 03:57:04 am »
Ah, is there nothing that unites man (specifically men) like the prospect of extreme violence? I challenge anyone to find a single guy who isnt looking forward to this movie (provided theyve heard of it, obviously)

A friend of mine is refusing to see it... he's a history buff.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 04:57:08 am »

he refuses but he want to

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 06:00:18 am »

Pah, I have history buff freinds that were opposed to it... until they saw the trailer.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 06:42:56 am »

Pah, I have history buff freinds that were opposed to it... until they saw the trailer.

In his own words, "It just looks stupid... the Spartans didn't do it just on their own, and they didn't fight against Persian rhino-riders and ogres."  Well, you don't say I suppose!  But his point I guess is that it's stupid to do a film about a historical period/event if you don't try to do it accurately.  I agree to a certain extent, but when a film like this one doesn't even pretend to be historically accurate, it isn't classed as a history film and therefore shouldn't be judged on that basis.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 07:46:53 am »
I agree to a certain extent, but when a film like this one doesn't even pretend to be historically accurate, it isn't classed as a history film and therefore shouldn't be judged on that basis.

Exactly. If a film is historically accurate enough that the historical inaccuracies would cause confusion and misinformation, that's when you should be opposed to it. When a movie is so over-the-top fake that there are ogres fighting against Greeks, that's when it turns into an action movie. The only things that I see that's similar between the actual battle and the movie:

1) Greeks are fighting Persians
2) It's set at a mountain pass
3) The name of the battle is the same.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2007, 09:05:26 am »
No-one complained about the historical inaccuracies inherant in the Disney animated feature The Sword in the Stone, after all.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 09:48:42 am »
Yeah, because this movie is clearly being sold as a historically accurate interpretation of events. ::)

In his own words, "It just looks stupid... the Spartans didn't do it just on their own, and they didn't fight against Persian rhino-riders and ogres."  Well, you don't say I suppose!  But his point I guess is that it's stupid to do a film about a historical period/event if you don't try to do it accurately.  I agree to a certain extent, but when a film like this one doesn't even pretend to be historically accurate, it isn't classed as a history film and therefore shouldn't be judged on that basis.
Seriously.

Everyone who's thinking of this as a historical movie needs to get their head checked.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 10:23:44 am »
Everyone who's thinking of this as a historical movie needs to get their head checked.

Which was the point I eventually made.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 07:07:09 pm »
I always figured this movie to be more along the lines of the works of Herodotus, who's historical writings often incorporate fanciful aspects, like ogres and such. As for the rest of the movie, yes, the Spartans didn't stand alone, and yes, they didn't charge the field of battle in nothing but a helmet, but hey, the movie isn't supposed to be aired on the history channel, its just a good story.

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 12:15:43 am »
I won't be seeing it because it strikes me as another Sin City debacle; a hollow vehicle for senseless violence and bland characterizations.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 02:45:02 am »
I won't be seeing it because it strikes me as another Sin City debacle; a hollow vehicle for senseless violence and bland characterizations.

Uh.... what?

Have you SEEN the trailer?

Rhino riders, man!

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2007, 06:30:08 am »
I didn't realise that Sin City was considered a "debacle".  :D