Poll

Should posts in Forum Games count towards your total posts?

Yes, posts in Forum Games should add to the total.
27 (58.7%)
No, posts in Forum Games should not add to the total.
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Forum Games Post Count  (Read 24659 times)

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Games Post Count
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 04:26:21 pm »
I think post counts are important for new members. I've noticed that new comers to the forums often have some question about spore they want answered and if 15 people reply, sometimes it's hard to determine which answers are useful and which are just guesses from other new comers. The post count isn't the definitive proof that your point of view is the correct one but it can certainly help determine how seriously you may be taking the topic. If your post count is made from spamming 1 word responses to forum games then I cant see that it is a useful contribution to the forum and I dont see how it would help a new comer to determine if this post is helpful or not.

On the other hand, the role play forum games, riddle me this and other such threads where a great deal of thought and effort has to go into the post could be considered to be beneficial to the thread, if not for the sake of the spore forums then definitely for the entertainment factor of the forums in general. I've seen how long it can take for someone to formulate a post for the role play threads and I think it would be a shame if this wasn't counted as contribution to the forum. Unfortunately, I dont see how you can determine WHICH forum games are positive contributions and which are just spam.

Programming forums often use a system whereby the newbies vote on how helpful a poster has been in answering a question. In this system a poster with a high number of points is more likely to give you useful advice but this system can be abused by users with a personal vendetta and I can certainly see people taking it to heart which I'm sure would be more trouble than it's worth.

I guess I'm going to vote that forum games shouldn't count towards post counts because I think that makes post counts the most useful, but I will be sorry to see those more epic games not count towards post counts if it does change. If the system were to change is there any way that it could only start not counting from now? IE, any posts made in the forum games before today DO count so people aren't upset by a sudden lack of posts?
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 04:35:11 pm »
I think people retain their post counts when it's done after people have already posted, they just don't get any more posts added to their counts. At least that's how it works in the forum I have...

It isn't SMF, though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:36:54 pm by Lualmoba »

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 05:40:47 pm »
I've seen a few forums where instead of implementing a "post count", they'd give an option to give a member points. The more thought-provoking, relevant, interesting, well-thought out [insert positive adjective] the post was, the more members would give the poster kudos, and he'd have a higher count. It just makes perfect sense. Though this system has the potential of being abused, post count is already abused.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 05:47:36 pm »
I've seen a few forums where instead of implementing a "post count", they'd give an option to give a member points. The more thought-provoking, relevant, interesting, well-thought out [insert positive adjective] the post was, the more members would give the poster kudos, and he'd have a higher count. It just makes perfect sense. Though this system has the potential of being abused, post count is already abused.

I'm sorry, did I not just say that?

Programming forums often use a system whereby the newbies vote on how helpful a poster has been in answering a question. In this system a poster with a high number of points is more likely to give you useful advice but this system can be abused by users with a personal vendetta and I can certainly see people taking it to heart which I'm sure would be more trouble than it's worth.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 05:53:54 pm »
Yea you did. Forgot to add the part that stated "Manna just said this, but I thought it needed some reinforcement, as it is not only implemented in programming forums and could work here".

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 05:56:06 pm »
Noted, just making sure I'm not talking to myself  :)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 06:02:24 pm »
Well, I for one have only seen that system once, and it was horribly abused (and as a consequence ignored) and subsequently removed, even with (perhaps especially with) a page to track karma increases/decreases. Perhaps that was not the best introduction to it, but I would hate to see the same thing here.

EDIT: I was reading up on this, and apparently they have/had this system at GameFAQs. Does it work there?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:04:58 pm by Daxx »

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 06:08:46 pm »
I've seen it at gamedev. it works well there because it helps to know the person you're asking for programming advice is competent. Unfortunately the moderators at gamedev are power hungry scum and they abuse the system by lowering people's hard earned kudos as a punishment for not worshiping them as god. I dont think we would have that kind of problem here, since our moderators are decent human beings.

unless they suddenly become...DRUNK WITH POWER!!!  da da daaaaa....

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 06:23:53 pm »
GameFAQs should be the model of things NOT to do unless you want a forum full of babbling idiots.

The only think Karma is used for at GameFAQs is to say, "I have more Karma than you so you are wrong.".

Don't use Karma.

I hate to linger on this but Karma and prestige points were all discussed during the reform thing and we didn't think any of them would work here.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 07:16:34 pm »
Giving a member "good points" is a terrible system to use. The Sims 2 forum uses this system, and it becomes horribly abused, and the board becomes filled with posts promising a certain amount of points for answers to questions.

Pat is right in that removing Forum Game post counts won't completely eliminate spam, but it certainly won't hurt, and would probably even help.

It is true that post counts do make certain members appear smarter and more experienced, and in many cases this is true, and helps new members know who to ask and who to trust.

However, there is also a false sense of noteriety given to those who 2/3 of their posts are in the Forum Games section, where no real thought or knowledge is required to post, yet their post count appears the same as those who do give real thought to their posts and help fellow members in
sections other than Forum Games.

I think that post counts should be eliminated from this forum. However, I think that the "Mario Stars" (or "Mario Clouds" for the Mods) should remain visible, and upgrade in the same way that they do now (1-99 posts=1 Star, etc.) This would eliminate people competing for post counts, yet inform new members who the "usual" participants of the forum are.

Every system can become abused in one way or another, but I think that this would certainly be an improvment.

I also want to thank Oviraptor for bringing this discussion up. I think it is important for all members to have the chance to take part and discuss how the forum is run, and what they would like to see changed. This is our forum (or rather Steve's, but you know what I mean ;)); it is important that we all have the ability to take part and have a say in how we believe the forum should be run.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 08:55:24 am »
Keeping the starts is going to cause the same troubles that post counts have.

You either remove all of it or none of it. Keeping any part of it is not doing anything to change the problem.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 01:35:44 pm »
I believe Kaze made this point when we were discussing this a while back. If spammers are doing it just for post count in forum games then removing post count from that forum would cause them to reach the conclusion that they would need to spam everywhere but there to increase post count.

When we were discussing it before, we concluded that we should completely remove the post count from under the names, and leave the stars and title. Posts would still be counted, but only visible on the profile page. From there a person can check statistics to see where that person posts the most, and their total time logged in.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 01:51:53 pm »
I believe Kaze made this point when we were discussing this a while back. If spammers are doing it just for post count in forum games then removing post count from that forum would cause them to reach the conclusion that they would need to spam everywhere but there to increase post count.
The difference between Forum Games and everywhere else is that Forum Games is supposed to be the only place where rules are bendable (read: ignored) and they're technically supposed to be enforced in the other forums.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 02:31:24 pm »
When we were discussing it before, we concluded that we should completely remove the post count from under the names, and leave the stars and title. Posts would still be counted, but only visible on the profile page. From there a person can check statistics to see where that person posts the most, and their total time logged in.

I thought it was that ALL post count references were removed from the main page, including stars.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 02:34:47 pm »
nah, I cant see why there'd be a problem with stars, I mean if spammers are doing it just for the post count then they're gonna get capped at 5 stars and the novelty will wear off.