Poll

Should posts in Forum Games count towards your total posts?

Yes, posts in Forum Games should add to the total.
27 (58.7%)
No, posts in Forum Games should not add to the total.
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Forum Games Post Count  (Read 24302 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Forum Games Post Count
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:04:01 am »
So, should Forum Games' posts count? Please vote and give your reasons as to why you voted the way you did.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Games Post Count
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 11:08:04 am »
Stopping Forum Games' posts from counting is a good measure against spam.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:17:55 am »
Once the novelty of the thread's idea wears off, the point of most forum games is to post as much as possible.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:24:46 am »
Whilst post count obviously doesn't and probably shouldn't entirely determine a poster's status, I believe it should at least reflect their contributions to the forum. I don't see forum games as "contributing", as such. It's basically a place to spam, which I believe this forum shouldn't encourage through a reward such as increased postcount. Of course those are entirely normative statements based on my own opinion.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 02:17:01 pm »
Back when we were discussing changing some of the ways the forum works we came to the conclusion that removing the post count in forum games is useless.

The way to solve your problem with forum games is to enforce the rules of each thread.

However, if you do remove post counts you will also have to deal with the people who are going to lose some of their status.

Yeah we all say that post count is useless but you would be upset if you suddenly lost a thousand of your posts.

But, try it and see what happens.

I just have to wonder... why are you bringing it up now? You were given a place to discuss this exact same issue months ago and you chose not to.

Is something going on?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 02:51:10 pm »
Well that place was never the right place to discuss this. But there really isn't anything to worry about. I think this poll is long overdue.

While I don't want to get into a debate myself, let me just say that those of you who voted for "Yes" aren't helping yourselves by not posting anything.

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:01:59 pm »
i voted yes.

i know it is weird coming from on the most avid furom gamers here. how ever i think they shouldn't if steve would make a rping thread becuse i think posts in rps should count. not the rest like the ban chain game.
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 03:10:42 pm »
Well that place was never the right place to discuss this. But there really isn't anything to worry about. I think this poll is long overdue.

While I don't want to get into a debate myself, let me just say that those of you who voted for "Yes" aren't helping yourselves by not posting anything.

That place had all of the people who were concerned about it. YOU never showed up.

You could have at least said something instead of ignoring us.

And I think it is something to worry about. Removing the post count is not going to stop whatever spam is going on there. The forum will be as annoying as ever, except none of it will count toward people's tally.

You are not solving anything by making posts not count. Nobody is going to give a hoot about anything you do unless you dole out punishments for people who break your rules. Don't punish everyone. deal with the people who cause the problem.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 03:19:32 pm »

That place had all of the people who were concerned about it. YOU never showed up.

Okay, I DID show up. But it seemed to die quickly after I did. And having that few of members is not enough to represent the entire forum.

And I never said my reasons for posting, so don't assume that's why I did. I am trying to remain neutral here, I don't want to sway the vote.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 03:23:38 pm »

You didn't exactly help it by being the good rebel leader and only inviting those of us in the clique to that area of the forum. In fact, you deliberately excluded LadyM and Ovi until most of the way through the discussion.

What's more, Pat, I don't think that particular effort came up with anything constructive or reasonable, since people seemed to have very strong and different feelings on what the problem actually was.

I feel the problem is that having post counts in Forum Games encourages people to spam.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:26:00 pm by Daxx »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 03:25:09 pm »
Fine fine.

Still though, removing the post count will not do anything. If you are expecting the spam posts to suddenly go away then you are mistaken.

You know what would be a wild change? Remove ALL of the post counts... then EVERYONE is on the same level (don't deny that a certain amount of notoriety comes with post counts) and any fame a person does garner is done through genuine achievement and not a number.

That could be cool!

Also Daxx, we did come up with some good stuff. Where do you think my argument you are hearing now came from?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:27:43 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 03:30:27 pm »
Also Daxx, we did come up with some good stuff. Where do you think my argument you are hearing now came from? I didn't pull it out of my ass even though I am sure you wish I had so that you could point out how wrong I am.

Granted, you did say that. But there was never any proper discussion on your (or anyone else's, for that matter) ideas. For instance, I would disagree with certain aspects of your argument, but for the sake of not sidetracking from what I considered were the important issues at the time I didn't say anything. Similarly, I don't think we would have had enough insight considering how few people were there.

But anyway, I'm not sure this is relevant. Remember kids, Forum 17 does not exist.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 03:32:16 pm »
Understood.

Still... I think removing all post counts could work out well. Then nobody is pissed by losing more posts than the other guy.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 03:41:53 pm »
Ovi did show up, I'm the one that didn't show up. You have to understand that it's awkward to be in that position. We want to help the forum and we want be here for the members but discussing our mod duties and the powers we have is not something we're suppose to do. To be honest, I wasn't entirely comfortable in that situation though I did appreciate being included in the discussion. Things have improved since that time and alot of good came out of it even if you don't realize it. We did care and we do care.

Nothing is going on here other than a poll to find out what people think. People have different opinions and the topic has come up. There are no current plans to change anything.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:48:46 pm »
Okay then.

Well... an on topic debate!

I think that removing the post counts in Forum Games will not solve the problem, but keeping the post counts in Forum Games it not going to help anything either.