Author Topic: RIP: Lik-Sang -- Also, Sony Hates Us  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP: Lik-Sang -- Also, Sony Hates Us
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 07:04:07 am »
I think you need to learn the difference between legality and etiquette, Daxx. Obviously, they weren't doing anything unlawful by ****ing over Lik Sang, but does that mean it was right, or even necessary?

Hey, I never said it was okay. Just that they had the right to do it.

I'm sure the people at Sony aren't inhuman; I'm guessing they either had a good reason, or the alternatives just must have been unfeasible.

It is just simply business. If Sony can squeeze some money out of it by doing this, they will. It's not Sony being jerks; it's Sony being a business.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:59 pm »
I think this is the definition of business that involves making as much profit as possible no matter the cost to anyone and everyone else.

Sony mightn't be "inhuman", but they seem to be trying pretty damn hard to come across that way.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 02:45:04 pm »
I think you need to learn the difference between legality and etiquette, Daxx. Obviously, they weren't doing anything unlawful by ****ing over Lik Sang, but does that mean it was right, or even necessary?

I'm sure the people at Sony aren't inhuman; I'm guessing they either had a good reason, or the alternatives just must have been unfeasible.

It is just simply business. If Sony can squeeze some money out of it by doing this, they will. It's not Sony being jerks; it's Sony being a business.

Meanwhile, no other company whose products are sold on Lik-Sang is raising a ruckus. You can run a business without being a strong-arming prick about it. If nothing else, the negative public persona Sony is building up should have at least made them consider the choice that they could have told Lik-Sang to stop selling their products rather than kill them outright. That's really all they had to do. I also find it strange that Lik-Sang has been doing this for years and Sony waited to do anything about till now. The fact of the matter is: Deep down, I couldn't care what Sony does. Yes, I think most of what they've been doing lately is stupid, whatever. It doesn't impact my ability to have fun with gaming, mostly because I don't buy any of their products currently. What does piss me off is when they choose to destroy an import company where I get other companies' products from rather than simply telling them to stop selling their own. They are doing the same kind of BS that Nintendo did back when Yamauchi was in command and people hated Nintendo for that, so it's only fair to hate Sony for it as well.

If you don't, that's cool. But I still feel that being a business doesn't automatically imply that you screw people over left and right for whatever potential benefit it might serve you. That's a PR nightmare waiting to happen, and it's what Nintendo got in trouble for years ago.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:08 pm »
This news article truly is a great one. Yet another victory against the wicked Japanese.

Hail Microsoft! Hail Microsoft!

I still hate Sony.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:22 pm »
The court hearing took place on October 9 at the High Court of London, without Lik-Sang's legal representatives attending or arguing at the hearing. It is unclear at this point if this ruling will also affect exports of PlayStation 3 and other PlayStation-branded items. Furthermore, Sony intends to obtain an UK injunction against Lik-Sang's sales to the EEA.

Is that even legal? I know English law is different than American, but I would think that the right to be at your own trial would be universal.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 08:32:41 pm »

Meanwhile, no other company whose products are sold on Lik-Sang is raising a ruckus. You can run a business without being a strong-arming prick about it. If nothing else, the negative public persona Sony is building up should have at least made them consider the choice that they could have told Lik-Sang to stop selling their products rather than kill them outright. That's really all they had to do. I also find it strange that Lik-Sang has been doing this for years and Sony waited to do anything about till now. The fact of the matter is: Deep down, I couldn't care what Sony does. Yes, I think most of what they've been doing lately is stupid, whatever. It doesn't impact my ability to have fun with gaming, mostly because I don't buy any of their products currently. What does piss me off is when they choose to destroy an import company where I get other companies' products from rather than simply telling them to stop selling their own. They are doing the same kind of BS that Nintendo did back when Yamauchi was in command and people hated Nintendo for that, so it's only fair to hate Sony for it as well.

If you don't, that's cool. But I still feel that being a business doesn't automatically imply that you screw people over left and right for whatever potential benefit it might serve you. That's a PR nightmare waiting to happen, and it's what Nintendo got in trouble for years ago.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it

Despite this, my opinion of them hasn't changed. I still dont like them, but then again, they are a business. What else do you expect?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:13 pm »
Ethics?

Offline jb7

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 11:15:51 pm »

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 02:47:20 am »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it.

Here's the part I think you're missing: There are Japanese game publishers that don't have the money to bring their games overseas; they can't afford a lengthy localization process or any of that jazz. So they count on people importing the games from other regions into how they're going to make money. Often there are games that are massive hits as imports that sold like crap in Japan. So do I think this hurts things? Yes. Perhaps not for Sony, though that's really debateable considering they're looking like total douchebags right now, but it is negatively going to impact the industry to some extent. And that bothers me, considering I take an active interest in how the industry is going both domestically and overseas, as the one affects the other and vice versa.

Despite this, my opinion of them hasn't changed. I still dont like them, but then again, they are a business. What else do you expect?

What did I expect from Sony? This. Without doubt. But then, I think the company is one giant, massive ego right now so I guess I wanted to see that maybe they're not completely full of crap. Oh well.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 05:30:49 pm »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it.

Here's the part I think you're missing: There are Japanese game publishers that don't have the money to bring their games overseas; they can't afford a lengthy localization process or any of that jazz. So they count on people importing the games from other regions into how they're going to make money. Often there are games that are massive hits as imports that sold like crap in Japan. So do I think this hurts things? Yes. Perhaps not for Sony, though that's really debateable considering they're looking like total douchebags right now, but it is negatively going to impact the industry to some extent. And that bothers me, considering I take an active interest in how the industry is going both domestically and overseas, as the one affects the other and vice versa.

You're right; this doesn't hurt Sony. Sony isn't getting a huge uproar of hate from the majority of gamers right now. Sure, some people are pretty pissed at them, but so what? It is a minimal effect for the vast majority of people out there. It will hurt others, but if it helped Sony in any way, which you can be sure it did, than it doesn't matter to them.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 07:20:18 pm »
Ethics?

Sony+Ethics=?

Sony+Ethics=Unholy dimensional rift in the space-time continuum

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 08:20:42 pm »

So no-one else is going to open up a business exporting games from Japan now? I see a golden business opportunity. I would do it myself if I had the expertise and the start-up cash. It's not like these companies will now never be able to export again, some other export company will just take Lik-Sang's place, albeit without Sony's products.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 10:10:41 am »

So no-one else is going to open up a business exporting games from Japan now? I see a golden business opportunity. I would do it myself if I had the expertise and the start-up cash. It's not like these companies will now never be able to export again, some other export company will just take Lik-Sang's place, albeit without Sony's products.

There are others that do it as well, but it's only a matter of time till Sony goes after them on the same grounds. It seems like they wanted to gut the biggest fish first though, as Lik-Sang (as far as I know) was considered the #1 exporter of games. The potential problem is, I could see this becoming an omen to others either in the business or interested in getting into it. If Sony can shut down Lik-Sang this easily using the EU directive, what's to say that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other company can't do the same thing at a later date? I could see exporters, using this as an indication of possible liability, to stop shipping to the EU altogether. Which would be bad for EU gamers that enjoy getting copies of games either early or at all depending on the title.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 10:42:50 am »

There are others that do it as well, but it's only a matter of time till Sony goes after them on the same grounds. It seems like they wanted to gut the biggest fish first though, as Lik-Sang (as far as I know) was considered the #1 exporter of games. The potential problem is, I could see this becoming an omen to others either in the business or interested in getting into it. If Sony can shut down Lik-Sang this easily using the EU directive, what's to say that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other company can't do the same thing at a later date? I could see exporters, using this as an indication of possible liability, to stop shipping to the EU altogether. Which would be bad for EU gamers that enjoy getting copies of games either early or at all depending on the title.

Well, it's about risk. If another store wants to take the risk of Nintendo or Microsoft suing them, then that's the risk they take. There must be plenty of importers there already, and they're not all just going to stop selling Microsoft products because Sony sued someone else.

Your argument, however, sounds to me something like "if they catch all the drug dealers, there'll be no more drug imports for us :'(". If what they are doing is illegal, then they shouldn't be doing it. If what they are doing is legal, then they have nothing to worry about. And either way, it's not going to totally stop imports since it'll be impossible to crack down on all importers (and that's even if things go that way, which I doubt). Risk is a relative thing to various people. I don't think this is going to stop imports.