Author Topic: RIP: Lik-Sang -- Also, Sony Hates Us  (Read 7109 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
RIP: Lik-Sang -- Also, Sony Hates Us
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:47:51 am »
Quote from: Lik Sang
Important Notice: Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits
Tue Oct 24 2006 21:58:51 Hong Kong Time - Corporate Info

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".

Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

Seriously, I've never made it a secret that I resent Sony for various issues. But with this announcement: **** Sony. Seriously. I now hope they die.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: RIP: Lik-Sang -- Also, Sony Hates Us
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:41:39 am »
>:(
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:02:49 am »
I have to wonder what's the point of having your console be region-free if you're going to go around and target import companies??

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:10:31 am »
I have never used Lik-Sang but I hate to see them go, they had alot of unique items.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:44:47 pm »
I buy stuff from them and now I can't find any of it anywhere.

**** you Sony.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:50:14 pm »
FAKE!!!

The real notice is here: http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3900

Lik-sang is checking it's options, it's not out of buisness... phew  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:54:25 pm by FoxSpirit »
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:35 pm »
Oh sh.... what's next, play-asia?

And really... what kind of court can render such a stupid judgement?  :-\

This is what I've gleamed from other sites: There is an EU directive stating that any company can control the methods by which their trademarked items are sold in and out of the EU. What does that mean? It means that a Japanese company has lawsuited a Hong Kong company to death using an obscure EU directive rather than simply having Lik Sang remove all of Sony's products from their website (which I'd imagine they would prefer to do in lieu of closing up shop entirely).

EDIT: Regarding Lik Sang checking out its 'legal options': I think that has more to do with whether they can avoid extreme litigation if they close.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:58:33 pm by PHI-1618 »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:00:55 pm »
FAKE!!!

Unfortunately, it is not :(
Link on the official site

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm gonna check out play-asia.com.
Lik-sang had the best customer service...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:07:03 pm by danzik »

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:09:18 pm »
FAKE!!!

Not fake.  You need to check more recent news than 4 days ago.  I wish it was fake though.  I know alot of people that use them even if I never did. 

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:23:28 am »
There is an EU directive stating that any company can control the methods by which their trademarked items are sold in and out of the EU. What does that mean? It means that a Japanese company has lawsuited a Hong Kong company to death using an obscure EU directive rather than simply having Lik Sang remove all of Sony's products from their website (which I'd imagine they would prefer to do in lieu of closing up shop entirely).

Wrong. Sony Europe is, surprise, European. They have every right to use EU legislation in EU courts, because they are based in the EU. ::)

Frankly, I'm not surprised. Sony has every right to control who its products are sold to and by whom; I can see why you're complaining because you'd rather buy cheaper stuff, but they're not doing anything wrong whatsoever.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 10:30:10 am »
I think you need to learn the difference between legality and etiquette, Daxx. Obviously, they weren't doing anything unlawful by ****ing over Lik Sang, but does that mean it was right, or even necessary?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 12:05:21 pm »
Yeah, Lik-Sang had a lot of very hard to find items...

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 12:19:55 pm »
There is an EU directive stating that any company can control the methods by which their trademarked items are sold in and out of the EU. What does that mean? It means that a Japanese company has lawsuited a Hong Kong company to death using an obscure EU directive rather than simply having Lik Sang remove all of Sony's products from their website (which I'd imagine they would prefer to do in lieu of closing up shop entirely).

Wrong. Sony Europe is, surprise, European. They have every right to use EU legislation in EU courts, because they are based in the EU. ::)

Oh, I'm aware they're able to do it. Just not sure it was necessary in this case.

Frankly, I'm not surprised. Sony has every right to control who its products are sold to and by whom; I can see why you're complaining because you'd rather buy cheaper stuff, but they're not doing anything wrong whatsoever.

They could have told Lik-Sang to remove its products from their website. It's that simple. They chose to screw them over hard enough to kill them. That's why people are questioning this and aren't overly happy with Sony about it. They were bullies in this case. There were other options that would have addressed their concerns that wouldn't have made them look like the evil Empire. Nintendo's products are sold on the same site, but you don't see them going after import companies. And what's also odd about this is that Sony, a company that has been sued several times in the last year for copyright and trademark violations, is getting so up in arms when a small company like Lik-Sang does something similar ... when Lik-Sang had no idea that such a situation was possible. You can defend Sony by saying that they didn't legally break any rules and had the option to screw Lik-Sang over. My problem is that they chose to do so when they didn't have to.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:35:52 pm »
It really sucks, but what can you expect? It's business.

I never used Lik-Sang, but they seemed to provide a great service. I know I would have liked to get an import DS game or two.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 03:32:21 am »
I think you need to learn the difference between legality and etiquette, Daxx. Obviously, they weren't doing anything unlawful by ****ing over Lik Sang, but does that mean it was right, or even necessary?

Hey, I never said it was okay. Just that they had the right to do it.

I'm sure the people at Sony aren't inhuman; I'm guessing they either had a good reason, or the alternatives just must have been unfeasible.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 07:04:07 am »

I'm sure the people at Sony aren't inhuman; I'm guessing they either had a good reason, or the alternatives just must have been unfeasible.

It is just simply business. If Sony can squeeze some money out of it by doing this, they will. It's not Sony being jerks; it's Sony being a business.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:59 pm »
I think this is the definition of business that involves making as much profit as possible no matter the cost to anyone and everyone else.

Sony mightn't be "inhuman", but they seem to be trying pretty damn hard to come across that way.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 02:45:04 pm »

It is just simply business. If Sony can squeeze some money out of it by doing this, they will. It's not Sony being jerks; it's Sony being a business.

Meanwhile, no other company whose products are sold on Lik-Sang is raising a ruckus. You can run a business without being a strong-arming prick about it. If nothing else, the negative public persona Sony is building up should have at least made them consider the choice that they could have told Lik-Sang to stop selling their products rather than kill them outright. That's really all they had to do. I also find it strange that Lik-Sang has been doing this for years and Sony waited to do anything about till now. The fact of the matter is: Deep down, I couldn't care what Sony does. Yes, I think most of what they've been doing lately is stupid, whatever. It doesn't impact my ability to have fun with gaming, mostly because I don't buy any of their products currently. What does piss me off is when they choose to destroy an import company where I get other companies' products from rather than simply telling them to stop selling their own. They are doing the same kind of BS that Nintendo did back when Yamauchi was in command and people hated Nintendo for that, so it's only fair to hate Sony for it as well.

If you don't, that's cool. But I still feel that being a business doesn't automatically imply that you screw people over left and right for whatever potential benefit it might serve you. That's a PR nightmare waiting to happen, and it's what Nintendo got in trouble for years ago.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:08 pm »
This news article truly is a great one. Yet another victory against the wicked Japanese.

Hail Microsoft! Hail Microsoft!

I still hate Sony.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:22 pm »
The court hearing took place on October 9 at the High Court of London, without Lik-Sang's legal representatives attending or arguing at the hearing. It is unclear at this point if this ruling will also affect exports of PlayStation 3 and other PlayStation-branded items. Furthermore, Sony intends to obtain an UK injunction against Lik-Sang's sales to the EEA.

Is that even legal? I know English law is different than American, but I would think that the right to be at your own trial would be universal.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 08:32:41 pm »

Meanwhile, no other company whose products are sold on Lik-Sang is raising a ruckus. You can run a business without being a strong-arming prick about it. If nothing else, the negative public persona Sony is building up should have at least made them consider the choice that they could have told Lik-Sang to stop selling their products rather than kill them outright. That's really all they had to do. I also find it strange that Lik-Sang has been doing this for years and Sony waited to do anything about till now. The fact of the matter is: Deep down, I couldn't care what Sony does. Yes, I think most of what they've been doing lately is stupid, whatever. It doesn't impact my ability to have fun with gaming, mostly because I don't buy any of their products currently. What does piss me off is when they choose to destroy an import company where I get other companies' products from rather than simply telling them to stop selling their own. They are doing the same kind of BS that Nintendo did back when Yamauchi was in command and people hated Nintendo for that, so it's only fair to hate Sony for it as well.

If you don't, that's cool. But I still feel that being a business doesn't automatically imply that you screw people over left and right for whatever potential benefit it might serve you. That's a PR nightmare waiting to happen, and it's what Nintendo got in trouble for years ago.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it

Despite this, my opinion of them hasn't changed. I still dont like them, but then again, they are a business. What else do you expect?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:13 pm »
Ethics?

Offline jb7

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 11:15:51 pm »

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 02:47:20 am »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it.

Here's the part I think you're missing: There are Japanese game publishers that don't have the money to bring their games overseas; they can't afford a lengthy localization process or any of that jazz. So they count on people importing the games from other regions into how they're going to make money. Often there are games that are massive hits as imports that sold like crap in Japan. So do I think this hurts things? Yes. Perhaps not for Sony, though that's really debateable considering they're looking like total douchebags right now, but it is negatively going to impact the industry to some extent. And that bothers me, considering I take an active interest in how the industry is going both domestically and overseas, as the one affects the other and vice versa.

Despite this, my opinion of them hasn't changed. I still dont like them, but then again, they are a business. What else do you expect?

What did I expect from Sony? This. Without doubt. But then, I think the company is one giant, massive ego right now so I guess I wanted to see that maybe they're not completely full of crap. Oh well.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 05:30:49 pm »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that it sucks that Lik-Sang is being shut down as well. I am just saying that this is business; sure it took a few years, and yes they didn't need to, but they did, and for purely business reasons. They exist to make money, and if this benefits them without great penalties, than they will do it.

Here's the part I think you're missing: There are Japanese game publishers that don't have the money to bring their games overseas; they can't afford a lengthy localization process or any of that jazz. So they count on people importing the games from other regions into how they're going to make money. Often there are games that are massive hits as imports that sold like crap in Japan. So do I think this hurts things? Yes. Perhaps not for Sony, though that's really debateable considering they're looking like total douchebags right now, but it is negatively going to impact the industry to some extent. And that bothers me, considering I take an active interest in how the industry is going both domestically and overseas, as the one affects the other and vice versa.

You're right; this doesn't hurt Sony. Sony isn't getting a huge uproar of hate from the majority of gamers right now. Sure, some people are pretty pissed at them, but so what? It is a minimal effect for the vast majority of people out there. It will hurt others, but if it helped Sony in any way, which you can be sure it did, than it doesn't matter to them.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 07:20:18 pm »
Ethics?

Sony+Ethics=?

Sony+Ethics=Unholy dimensional rift in the space-time continuum

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 08:20:42 pm »

So no-one else is going to open up a business exporting games from Japan now? I see a golden business opportunity. I would do it myself if I had the expertise and the start-up cash. It's not like these companies will now never be able to export again, some other export company will just take Lik-Sang's place, albeit without Sony's products.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 10:10:41 am »

So no-one else is going to open up a business exporting games from Japan now? I see a golden business opportunity. I would do it myself if I had the expertise and the start-up cash. It's not like these companies will now never be able to export again, some other export company will just take Lik-Sang's place, albeit without Sony's products.

There are others that do it as well, but it's only a matter of time till Sony goes after them on the same grounds. It seems like they wanted to gut the biggest fish first though, as Lik-Sang (as far as I know) was considered the #1 exporter of games. The potential problem is, I could see this becoming an omen to others either in the business or interested in getting into it. If Sony can shut down Lik-Sang this easily using the EU directive, what's to say that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other company can't do the same thing at a later date? I could see exporters, using this as an indication of possible liability, to stop shipping to the EU altogether. Which would be bad for EU gamers that enjoy getting copies of games either early or at all depending on the title.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 10:42:50 am »

There are others that do it as well, but it's only a matter of time till Sony goes after them on the same grounds. It seems like they wanted to gut the biggest fish first though, as Lik-Sang (as far as I know) was considered the #1 exporter of games. The potential problem is, I could see this becoming an omen to others either in the business or interested in getting into it. If Sony can shut down Lik-Sang this easily using the EU directive, what's to say that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other company can't do the same thing at a later date? I could see exporters, using this as an indication of possible liability, to stop shipping to the EU altogether. Which would be bad for EU gamers that enjoy getting copies of games either early or at all depending on the title.

Well, it's about risk. If another store wants to take the risk of Nintendo or Microsoft suing them, then that's the risk they take. There must be plenty of importers there already, and they're not all just going to stop selling Microsoft products because Sony sued someone else.

Your argument, however, sounds to me something like "if they catch all the drug dealers, there'll be no more drug imports for us :'(". If what they are doing is illegal, then they shouldn't be doing it. If what they are doing is legal, then they have nothing to worry about. And either way, it's not going to totally stop imports since it'll be impossible to crack down on all importers (and that's even if things go that way, which I doubt). Risk is a relative thing to various people. I don't think this is going to stop imports.