Author Topic: Is Spore going to be like the "Matrix"?  (Read 24614 times)

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
Re: Is Spore going to be like the "Matrix"?
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2006, 04:20:44 pm »
This is topic is sublimely stupid. I'm no cosmologist - but I'd say ninety percent of the double-speak devoted to this topic is utter hogwash.

most of what he said, although technical, does have something behind it, even if it is hard to understand for most people ;D

If you're referring to sporewars posts then you'd be incorrect. Wavelengths is not two words for instance. "Something behind it" ? Maybe - if by something you mean total crap.

All pseudoscience has to borrow a superficial amount of real science to assume the veneer of credibility.

No i was not refering to sporewars srry should have used the quote button.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline sporewars

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2006, 05:56:04 pm »

most of what he said, although technical, does have something behind it, even if it is hard to understand for most people ;D

I think this forum does have some highly intelligent members who wouldn't mind exploring these ideas further, but the subject matter has gotten too deep for most.  I'm guessing that is why there has been some anger on the part of a few who don't see the point of the discussion.  Which is completely understandable.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:57:50 pm by sporewars »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 06:00:57 pm »
This is topic is sublimely stupid. I'm no cosmologist - but I'd say ninety percent of the double-speak devoted to this topic is utter hogwash. Some of the people sound like they know what they're talking about - but the OP is just trolling.

Really? I think this thread wins.
It's likely the most ridiculous (but mildly entertaining) crap I have ever read on this forum to date.
The topic has come a pretty far way away from Spore by now however.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 06:22:03 pm »
This is topic is sublimely stupid. I'm no cosmologist - but I'd say ninety percent of the double-speak devoted to this topic is utter hogwash. Some of the people sound like they know what they're talking about - but the OP is just trolling.

Really? I think this thread wins.
It's likely the most ridiculous (but mildly entertaining) crap I have ever read on this forum to date.
The topic has come a pretty far way away from Spore by now however.

ehh its something to talk about though. no?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline jb7

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2006, 06:35:51 pm »

I think this forum does have some highly intelligent members who wouldn't mind exploring these ideas further, but the subject matter has gotten too deep for most.  I'm guessing that is why there has been some anger on the part of a few who don't see the point of the discussion.  Which is completely understandable.

I think you should continue discussing the idea that Spore isn't "player-centric", but is experiential. What do you think the average player will derive from the experience? How does this make Spore and a Matrix-like future connected? Bring the discussion back to what most of us on this forum can have an intelligent discussion about.

In fact how do you define Spore as not being a player-centric game? All the content of the game is player created. In fact you play could the entire game where everything was made by you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:51:55 pm by jb7 »

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 07:02:40 pm »
sounds like an idea I will contribute to this tomorrow so for now ttfn :P
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 08:09:09 pm »
heres a timely article about the blending of two worlds.

http://www.destructoid.com/ben-folds-rocks-second-life

Basically a hotel is opening both in second life and later onin real life, at first thats not interesting because second life is used all the time as an ad for things...

but then:

"This is the first time a hotel chain has ever opened it doors in a virtual world, and aloft is definitely the first ever to use this form of feedback to influence its design concepts.”

They are using the virtual hotel to test designs and concepts of the yet-to-be-built real life version.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline DarkAngel

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Sherrif of the south pacific
    • View Profile
    • My PC
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2006, 08:59:17 pm »
Sorry, I just started reading this entire thread and felt compelled to reply to it due to its ambiguity...

The matrix is coming to us.  Your walls of your house will have the matrix code on it.  Inside your car.  At work, at the campgrounds, on and on.  Essentially, after Spore has evolved the creatures will in a sense be able to jump from one environment to the next.   Nothing will be able to stop them either.  Godzilla trampling New York City is a possiblity.   

It will be an exciting world we'll live in, and Spore will be the catalyst for it all.   "...."The sound of inevitablity Mr Anderson."

Are you talking about the matrix as imagined by that film, or are you talking about the matrix as imagined by Gibson et al back when the term "cyberspace" was coined? Or are you talking about some other kind of matrix that you made up?
Can you give us a concrete definition of this matrix you are referring to?

Spore will never quite be exactly like the Matrix..."The movie" that is.  However similiarities to it can be foreseen.   

I'm guessing most of you do not realize how ubiquitious the "matrix" will be in the coming years.   I liken the extistence we are living in now as "pre-spore" period

Can you explain how ubiquitious this matrix is going to be?

I'm a student of programming languages, but have never written any code other than some java and html.

What I'm thinking of is "smart code" that adapts to various wavelengths emitted.   Sound is everywhere.  Some wavelengths obviously cannot be seen nor heard.  I'm currently working on such a theory that could have huge ramifications in matrix technology.
HTML is *not* a programming language.
What course are you studying programming under, or how are you studying them?

This adaptive smart code sounds a lot like the "self modifying code" paradigm that was abandoned decades ago.
Also, how does this code recieve information on these wavelengths? Wavelengths describe a wave, what kind of waves are you referring to? (e.g. kinetic/sound, EMR/light, etc...)

As far as how a "Matrix" could exist, I don't think trying to explain the nitty gritty aspects of it would lead to productive discussion.  It involves using sound wavelengths to create a digital signature for most everything, including our spore creatures.
I think the whole point of this discussion is trying to understand what your idea of a matrix is, and understanding *how* one is to exist might help us understand *what* you are talking about.
This process of using kinetic vibration to create real-world digital signatures sounds intriguing. Please, tell us more

The "Matrix" for a lack of a better term is a "concept" whereby digital spaces can be opened up to sort of create another dimension.   I won't go into it further because it does require you to accept that a paradigm shifting event could occur.  From the comments you've made, and others... It makes no sense to delve further here.  Just realize I'm not assuming anything here, rather postulating a theory I have.
Digital spaces only exist within transistor-based equipment (i.e. computers), does this mean that you are working on a technique to create physical dimensions within a computer?
Also, what is a paradigm shifting event? AFAIK, a paradigm is a human viewpoint, so to shift paradigms is to change viewpoints, such as the shift in the 80's/90's from flat file data storage to relational data storage...

SPORE is not just a game.  No I'm not a nut job who plans to spend every waking moment playing this game.  I'm actually more interested in the "perceptions" it creates once the game is played.   No doubt, it will change a lot of minds.  When you do that it is easier to "jump" to that next level.  I don't think simple CAD software can do it because not every kid in the UK or the US for that matter will have CAD hooked up to the PC...  It will take a game to do it.  I'm betting SPORE will be it.. 
There are allready many "creation-centric" games on the market, the leading one being second-life. Reuters news agency and many other companies have actually opened virtual offices in this game world because it is becoming so popular.
What makes you think that spore will be the catalyst for this "mass changing of minds" when there are allready many simmilar products which have not taken us into the "post-spore" age?

I didn't realize I was being interviewed...   From the tone of your responses to mine, I shall pass on going into this any further.  I don't mind answering questions, but if they become repetitive then I tend to lose interest.  Hope you don't mind.
These are "discussion forums", not "oppinion forums"; the point of this place is to discuss ideas. All he has done is try to understand what you are trying to tell us by discussing it with you. Why do you find it so hard for your ideas to be questioned?

You must be assuming that I'd use today's computing power capabilities to create a "digital" matrix.  That by far is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile.  Thanks for the comical relief.
Well, you did previously state that you were opening up new dimensions within a digital space, which only exists within computers, so I dont see whats so laughable about his assumption. Please try to explain yourself better so people dont have to make these assumptions when trying to understand you (i.e. Please make more sense).

I'm sorry to decline your request, but as I said, repititious questions only serve to fill up space in this thread.  Nothing more.   If you have questions which are new then by all means fire away.  I would be happy to answer them.  That goes for Krackow as well.
These are not repetative questions, but further questions along the same line of discussion (i.e. clarification of your meaning).

I guess the way I see it, is that I presented a question to everyone which has really only been answered by myself and a few others.  Certainly if you have something to add to the discussion, feel free to do so.  Piling on me won't make the "thread" better (right?)
The way I see it, you asked a very vague, ambiguous question that could not be understood without asking for clarification (which has been hard to get, due to your hostile responses).

Different sound wavelengths emitted at precise intervals have the ability to speed up atoms in their natural states.  In alternating the wavelengths one has the ability to suspend energy molecules.  It is at this precise moment whereby one could introduce electronic pulses or "digital signatures" into that static field.  That static field would hold in it I believe unlimited space---a parallel universe if you will whereby unlimited energy could be fed into the space.   Literally this phenomena (although man-made) is no different then how I believe our universe got it start.  Two competing universes got linked together through a magnetic process--kind of positive/negative charge occurrence.  Once linked the other universe began to starve the other one of it's energy.   The rest is history, or shall I say we came in with a bang!
Sound waves are vibrations of atoms, they speed up atoms by other atoms "bumping" into them. How can you suspend an object by making it collide with other objects?

You mention that by alternating the rate at which atoms "bump" into each other, you can suspend "energy molecules"; what are "energy molecules"?

You also mention a "static field", does this refer to the suspended "energy molucules" or a field of free flowing electrons (static charge).

Am I correct to assume that these "digital signatures" you have been talking about are created by applying a flow of electrons to an "energy molecule" that is in a "static field"?

How did you come to the assumption that this "static field" is in effect a portal to an infinite space? And what do you mean by "space" in this context? (the classical space-time?)

btw:  You won't find any of this in a textbook.   In fact it is probably the first time you've heard of this.  So don't wet yourselves trying to "google" it.   It's one man's theory that he has kept to himself for a few decades, that is until now...
So, this entire topic of "matricies" and "digital signatures" is your own original research which no-one else knows about, but you decided to ask us if we thought spore would be simmilar to your research, without explaining what your research was?
When you used the word "matrix" in your original post, were you referring to the idea of a matrix that has come from your research? If so, then the original post is illogical. If not, then its just ambiguous. Either way it doesnt make much sense without clarification.

I believe he refers to the fictional universe, "The Matrix".
Key word- "Fictional." Up till recently, this idea didn't really exist. VR had been thought up- but this idea of the "Matrix," some alternate computer universe created in a fanciful (although reasonably OK) trilogy of movies is new, and, well, fanciful.
Actually, the film "The Matrix" is a rip off of many sci-fi novels from the 70's and 80's; its not a new concept, people thought of it before there was an internet.

To sum up -
The term "matrix" has dozens of meanings; anyone who programs 3d video games will use "matricies" every day to position objects. You really need to give context to that word for it to have meaning, or in this case, explain what you have defined the "matrix" as in your head.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2006, 10:36:54 pm »
^ wow.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:07 pm »
two thumbs up @ DarkAngel
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:23 pm »
Next you'll be telling me you can suspend photons by emmiting special 'light frequencies' at them  ::)
Actually, we can suspend (or slow down alot) photons  by shooting them through near absolute zero rubidium. Or something along that line. But if we could suspend photons by shooting light frequencies at them, then it would be comical.  :D
Here you go.
Light stopped in its tracks
Light Captured In A Crystal
“Stopped Light” Six pages.

As for the rest of the mess in this thread:

you're just looking for an excuse to use more of your new smileys, slartibartfast!
Could be . . .
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:30:09 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2006, 11:23:13 pm »
you're just looking for an excuse to use more of your new smileys, slartibartfast!
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
Re: DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2006, 12:28:45 am »
let it die please.
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2006, 04:12:48 am »

So what's preventing you actually responding to some of the criticisms of your ideas? You can claim all you like that "some people won't understand", but that doesn't mean others don't, especially on this forum where we actually have capable people from many scientific and philosophical fields. Furthermore, it is no reason not to respond to those criticisms. In a discussion forum, you're generally expected to back up things you say, as Manna already pointed out.

Please, why don't you actually continue the discussion instead of posting offtopic and spurious justifications for your lack of response?

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2006, 09:54:03 am »
Wow.  Just.... wow.

I just read the whole thread (waiting to go to lunch at work, why not?).  What an amazingly diverse collection of ideas.  I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy, but physics hasn't exactly been a focal point of my development.  So some of the concepts discussed here are considerably beyond my grasp, but I still found some of this stuff quite interesting (and entertaining).

As for my opinion on the matter....  From what I can tell, the original poster has some very advanced ideas about Spore's role in the development of much larger-scale virtual worlds (ie. The Matrix).  The validity of those arguments, or how easily defended or understood they may be, is already being fleshed out by others.  However, I think the main point is to say that Spore is (as another poster put it) a "stepping stone" towards a universe-sized, human-developed alternate reality.

Personally, I think that's a rather broad implication to make.  Sure, the AI and procedureal generation techniques said to be in Spore could very well be the beginnings of some much more sophisticated advances.  And perhaps the concepts are just too far above me to see the link clearly, but I for one feel that more direct adapatations of Spore's technology are far more relevant to discuss.  Just as an example, I think said technology could be more easily applied to the future development of independent problem-solving programs, or even sentient computer systems, than a full-fledged Matrix reality.  Furthermore, I think those kinds of advances (along with many, many others) would be necessary steps towards creating an alternate universe.

So... is Spore a step towards the The Matrix?  Well, I guess so.... but only insofar as it may lead to some of the more preliminary advances that will make The Matrix possible.  Linking the two directly, in my opinion, is akin to saying band-aids led to the CT scanner.  There are too many milestones between the two to say that one directly caused the other.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....