Author Topic: Social should NOT be determined by body parts.  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Rbpolsen

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Reformed Uber-N00B and Moon Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Social should NOT be determined by body parts.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 08:37:13 am »
You should delete your double post, just click the button that says delete.

Good call.  ;)
c[~] A round of beer is nothing to fear!

Offline Siir

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 10:15:11 am »
The social stat isn't determined by how "human-like" the hand you pick is. As far as I know, all the hands in the same column are going to have the same stats. And there is only a single row of primate-like hands, so that only one "human-like" hand will be in each column. As far as hunting goes, hands give humans a huge amount of coordination without speaking, and in animals like dolphins, through sex, and primates, through grooming, contact (best represented by the hand) helps to increase social bonds. Yes there are social animals out there without hands, and as far as I know, you'll be able to form social bonds in the game even without hands, simply by hanging out with your siblings. However, hands will simply make your organism better at socializing, which is entirely appropriate.

Offline Rbpolsen

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 10:18:10 am »
The social stat isn't determined by how "human-like" the hand you pick is. As far as I know, all the hands in the same column are going to have the same stats. And there is only a single row of primate-like hands, so that only one "human-like" hand will be in each column. As far as hunting goes, hands give humans a huge amount of coordination without speaking, and in animals like dolphins, through sex, and primates, through grooming, contact (best represented by the hand) helps to increase social bonds. Yes there are social animals out there without hands, and as far as I know, you'll be able to form social bonds in the game even without hands, simply by hanging out with your siblings. However, hands will simply make your organism better at socializing, which is entirely appropriate.

I guess so, But it should not be ALL Hands.

Offline edspore_91

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 11:53:51 am »
/\   who said that only humanoid hands have high social stats, we haven’t seen all stats for all parts so how do you know.
Now its just a waiting game until next year

Offline Siir

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:03:13 pm »
Are you talking about my post? I'm saying that they shouldn't. For the mouths, rows seem to be organized by type (e.g.  carnivorous beaks) with the columns representing the same stats (i.e. a wolf mouth in the same column as a beak should have the same bite strength AFAIK.

The person that wrote the first post assumes that "human-like" hands have the highest social stat. However, an insect limb in the same column should be just as good.

Rows represen part ranks (those on the left being worse than those on the right) while the columns seem only to represent cosmetic differences.

Offline edspore_91

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 12:08:16 pm »
Are you talking about my post? I'm saying that they shouldn't. For the mouths, rows seem to be organized by type (e.g.  carnivorous beaks) with the columns representing the same stats (i.e. a wolf mouth in the same column as a beak should have the same bite strength AFAIK.

The person that wrote the first post assumes that "human-like" hands have the highest social stat. However, an insect limb in the same column should be just as good.

Rows represen part ranks (those on the left being worse than those on the right) while the columns seem only to represent cosmetic differences.

no i was replying back to rbpolsen post, not yours. sorry for teh inconvince
Now its just a waiting game until next year

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 09:13:36 pm »

I agree, Socal levels should be detemined a lot more by brain level then by parts! I even have a post about brain stats; http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7260.0
 >:(

Not necessarily brain levels.  One's brain size doesn't determine how social one is.  There are many animals out there that are loners and quite intelligent.  ONe's interactions with other individuals of one's species determine how social one is. 
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 09:47:32 pm »
I myself thought that this topic was done at half way through page one. You should stop repeating yourselves and dig into the game more to help find annoying stuff. If you want to continue this social topic you should think of ways to improve it.

Offline bluish_wolf

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 10:07:05 pm »
I myself thought that this topic was done at half way through page one. You should stop repeating yourselves and dig into the game more to help find annoying stuff. If you want to continue this social topic you should think of ways to improve it.

Who died and made you moderator?
Uninstall... uninstall.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 10:10:27 pm »
Thats just what I think. Its true as far as I think, doesint mean you have to listen to it.

Offline Rbpolsen

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 03:15:14 pm »

I agree, Socal levels should be detemined a lot more by brain level then by parts! I even have a post about brain stats; http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7260.0
 >:(

Not necessarily brain levels.  One's brain size doesn't determine how social one is.  There are many animals out there that are loners and quite intelligent.  ONe's interactions with other individuals of one's species determine how social one is. 

True... Mabee then U should be able to buy things with brain points to beocome bunduld with inteclegence.. Like parts, Socal, Hunting ect.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 03:21:42 pm »
Thats just what I think. Its true as far as I think, doesint mean you have to listen to it.

they can say what they want if you dont like it become a moderator or just dont read it
psss(the second one might be easier) 8) ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 04:04:22 pm »
Okay, let's move on to other things.  I don't like how the parts all seem to just add to some generic score in X department, or give you an attack, and it doesn't seem to matter where you put them and how streamlined your creature is.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Siir

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 04:54:43 pm »
Okay, let's move on to other things.  I don't like how the parts all seem to just add to some generic score in X department, or give you an attack, and it doesn't seem to matter where you put them and how streamlined your creature is.

In one of the videos the creatures' power fluctuates as the player moves a weapon over it's body (going up when he places them on the animal's shoulders and decreasing when he moves them down the sides).

EDIT: Here's the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h6E28SEb0jA *Watch the strength meter when he's placing the spikes*
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:00:12 pm by Siir »

Offline MechanicalMonarch

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • The Monarch means King, not butterfly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 05:00:56 pm »
Well, let's stop looking at it like nature and look at it like a game.  Look at any Fantasy RPG, how does a magical robe increase your intellect or wisdom?  I believe the adaptations and such you buy for your creature is like buying equipment in an RPG.  Ineed to deal more damage so I need stronger Power, so I improve my natural weapons.  And so on. 
"It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear." -Douglas Adams

An optimist sees a glass as half full, a pessimest sees it as half empty.  An engineer sees that 50% of the glass is wasted.