This thread is a set of meta-game rules for Starbound that help guide a player to play the game in a different way. This is similar to The Sims Challenge games, in that its more of a sandbox type way to play.
Things You Need
1. You need to be able to make NPC spawners.
2. You need access to many types of decorative objects.
Things That Make Playing Easier
1. Pixels. If you have a lot then it makes this game easier to do.
2. Gravity Bubble tech. This just allows you to place blocks easier.
3. Diamond Drill. This just allows you to terraform easier.
4. Good Gear and Weapons. This just keeps you from dying when your trying to build.
1. First you will have to decide if this is a single player or multiplayer game. If single player than you will need lots of NPCs if a multiplayer game then your friends can help out in roles.
2. You will need to find a habitable planet. Moons and Asteroids are not the best place to play this type of game. You will want one with trees and water, so Desert and Ice Planets will be more difficult.
3. You will also want to try to find a planet without huge Dungeons. These will just get dismantled once you expand your city. This is a ground up challenge so no taking over existing buildings.
4. Once you have decided upon a planet you will want to go there and make sure everyone in your party is there too (if multiplayer).
5. The place you teleport to the surface is where you settlement will start.
You, your friends and NPCs will be filling roles in the village. Each person will pick a role, which will unlock what you can build and how the village grows. The roles include ...
Leader - If single player this will be you, otherwise you and your friend will have to choose a leader. The leader decides how the village should run, where things are built and overall be the driving force of the game. Having one Unlocks basic Stone Tools and items required for most other Roles.
Farmers - Farmers requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), 5 seeds and a Stone Hoe. They can farm up to 25 crops (to start). As technology advances each farmer can farm more crops. Otherwise you will need more farmers if you want more crops.
Miners - Miners requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer) and a Stone Pickaxe. Having one unlocks all mineral resources found on your planet.
Woodcutters - Woodcutters requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer) and a Stone Axe. Having one unlocks chopping down trees and plant fibers on your planet.
Hunters - Hunters requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer) and a Hunting Bow. Having one unlocks the use of raw meat from monsters on your planet.
Fishermen - Fishermen requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), a source of water with water monsters and a Spear. Having one unlocks "fish". one fisherman can provide 5 fish per day. Note other technologies can improve this, such as fishing traps.
Carpenters - Carpenters requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Woodcutter Role Filled, Raw Wood, Tool Bench. Having one unlocks Wood Planks and the ability to build Wood Plank based buildings. Also unlocks Bamboo blocks.
Stone Masons - Stone Masons requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Miner Role Filled, Stone Tool Bench. Having one unlocks Cobblestone Brick and the ability to build Cobblestone Brick based buildings. Note that other stone based bricks are unlocked too if you have them.
Glassmiths - Glassmiths requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Miner Role Filled, Sand and Stone Furnace. Having one unlocks Glass and the ability to build add Glass Windows to buildings.
Blacksmiths - Blacksmiths requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Miner Role Filled, Ore and Stone Furnace. Having one unlocks Smelting Ore and the ability to make metal based objects and blocks.
Potters - Potters requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Miner Role Filled, Clay and Stone Furnace. Having one unlocks Making Roof Tiles, Pottery Such as Plates and the ability to make brick blocks.
Weavers - Weavers requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Plant Fibers and Yarn Spinner. Having one unlocks Cloth and Cloth based decorations like rugs and drapes. Also unlocks rope. also unlocks Thatched Roofs and Wicker blocks..
Tanners - Tanners requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Hunter Role Filled, Leather and Primitive Tanning Rack. Having one unlocks Leather and Animal Hide based decorations.
Tailors - Tailors requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Weaver Role Filled, Tanner Role Filled, Leather and Cloth. Having one unlocks making Clothing.
Furniture Makers - Furniture Makers requires an NPC Spawner (or Multiplayer), Carpenter Role Filled, Weaver Role Filled, Cloth and Wood Planks. Having one unlocks basic wooden furniture such as Wooden Chairs, Wooden Tables and Wooden Beds.
I will post more later.