Author Topic: The NEW Superpower RP  (Read 234836 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Superpower RP
« Reply #1095 on: February 05, 2007, 02:44:18 pm »
Stranger arrived at the pumping station, one of three structures deep beneath the surface of Obano created to keep the tube system in a vacuum and act as a maintenance center.  He gently rolled out the sphere he had bought with him, its perfectly balanced structure making it simple.  Once out he spread out a small tarp with a teleportation rune on it, allowing the Re-living to begin arriving.  Two Prophets approached the control consoles and began calling more spheres while several standard Re-living began rigging the the ones that were already there with explosives and teleportation runes connected to others that had been dropped in the ocean earlier.  Stranger pulled out his walkie talkie and spoke with Matci.  "Hows the control going?"

"They're in the process of deactivating the access card, but haven't found the back door yet.  We should be safe as long as the A.I. stays down, which should be awhile yet because I'm slowing their progress considerably."

"Excellent, keep me informed."
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1096 on: February 05, 2007, 02:49:35 pm »
"What's taking so long?" Richard asked.

"Not to worry sir, there seem to be a few glitches in the system... it' to be expected." a man at the console said.

"No no this can't be right, he must be doing something to the system..." Richard said aloud "I'll be back. Work as fast as you can!"

Richard teleported down to the warehouse and ran a trace on his old communicator. It took a few minutes but it appeared clear as day, it was at one of the tube system's pumping stations.

"What is he up to..." Richard said "What is he up to..."

He called up Mantar again.

"Mantar, he's at the... number four pumping station for the tube network. Or at least, that's where my communicator got to. He's up to something... and it must be big for him to have broken into the HQ. We need to figure this out fast."

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 05, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
Just as Mantar enters his room, Richard's message finishes.

"The number four? Damnit... he shouldn't even be able to get in there, at least not with your clearance, the A.I. systems shouldn't be taking this long. Ok, I'm going to run my own programs onto the system. I'm going to remove this from my head while it does so, if there's a virus, I have no idea what would happen if it gets infected while connected to me." Mantar starts digging through his drawers and finds his old handheld communicator, he connects it to the on-head computer before continuing, "There's the access for my old communicator. If you need to get in contact with me, use that one for now."

Mantar removes the communicator from the headset and the headset from his head. Plugging it into the computer, he has his headset start running anti-virus/spyware/etc. programs onto the main system. While it does so, Mantar starts manually looking through all files he is familiar with to see if anything is missing or changed in a significant way. As he does so, he places his hand on the side of his head and feels the opening where his head-set would be connected to him. He slides a panel over the opening and does the same for the other side.
Virus Buster.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 06, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »
Chaos, A History

Preface:

Chaos, as it will be discussed here, is the third type of Human Magic, or the third class of the first branch (The other classes being Order and Balance, the other branches being Spirit and The Third).

Although many consider the magic itself to be evil, it is in fact morally neutral, as are the other classes of human magic.  The misconception may exist for a variety of reasons, ranging from the fact that the necromantic uses of chaos magic are considered abominations by many cultures, to the entropic nature of the art.  The most likely reason, however, is that due to the chaotic mindset required to learn and perform chaos magic many of its practitioners are outside the psychological norm in most society's, ranging from eccentric to clinically insane.  Although it is possible to cultivate a mindset that allows for the use of chaotic magic without altering behavior, most consider that path too difficult and prefer to learn the more specialized balance magics.

Magic:

Chaotic magic is defined by a single rule that all others descend from, which is that Chaotic magic can only increase entropy, never decrease it or leave it the same.  This is sometimes hidden, as in the case of necromancy where reanimation appears to decrease entropy, but is in fact over balanced by an extreme increase in the decay rate of reanimated.  As such, it is extremely difficult to create by the use of chaotic magic, and many users must rely on help from other methods to accomplish their goals.

Although chaos spells do not contain balance components, many take the form or appearance of fire magic.  This is due to the fact that, like Order is closely related to certain balance magics, Chaos is closely related to fire.  This leads to the unstructured release of chaotic magic typical to many spells taking the appearance of fire, as do certain more controlled techniques.

Culture:

The chaotic mages are supposed to have at one time been part of regular human civilization, before events known only to the author as 'The Mage Wars.'  This changed when an insane cult known as the Breakers made a mad grab for power.  After this point chaos mages have only ever acted alone or in cults.  The one binding factor between all of which is that all symbols and coats of arms are composed of two colors, crimson and sable, or, as they call them, blood and shadow.

It is often thought that this strange connection is due to some entity which pervades chaotic culture, some relic of the Breakers final moments.  This being is only ever mentioned by the name-

The text ended with the image, written in what must have been blood.  For one insane moment the eye seemed to wink at Godwin, and an insane laughter poured out and into her mind.  The writer died for this knowledge, a voiced screeched, and you'll die to, soon enough!

The book slammed itself shut, and after a moment the memory was beginning to fade, making Godwin question whether there had been a voice at all.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 06, 2007, 03:02:06 pm »
Godwin blinked, slowly. She reached for her communicator and called Mantar.
"Sir, its Godwin. Since the computers are down I decided to do some research in the archives... trying to learn more about chaos magic. Whatever this Stranger's intentions are, they arent for any sort of personal gain... if he's as powerful a practitioner of Chaos magic as you say, his mind has been permanently warped... whatever he's doing... its just to spread disorder... thats all he CAN do. I'm going to do some more reading... see if I can't root out some way to stop him..."

Order... and Balance... the other two classes. If she had picked up anything from the mages she had known in apprehension its that magical classes didnt mix. OPF policy emphatically stated that two mages of different alignment never be assigned to the same squad.

Another perusal of the creaking shelves turned up Concerning Order. It was almost nothing like the Chaos book at all... it has large and heavy and bound in fine leather edged with gold filligree. The title was in aneat print, picked out with gold, and there were extensive details on the front cover of the edition number and the authors... one name that caught her eye for no reason she could discern was one "Bernard the Tidy".
She opened the book and was confronted with 15 pages of contents... turning to the back she was a good portion was taken up by an index. Finally finding the beginning she began to read...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:28:53 pm by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 06, 2007, 04:08:41 pm »
Mantar sighs as he goes over the various files, checking each of their "last modified" dates.

"Nothing since the power outage..." he thought.

"...ch...war..." sounds came from his headset.

Mantar pulls up the interface for his on-head computer on the desk computer and sees it was a message from Godwin. He takes the old communicator from the desk.

"It's Mantar, I'm temporarily disconnected, you'll need to access me at this for now. Now what were you trying to tell me?"

Godwin repeats what she tried telling him earlier.

"Alright, I'll keep working from here and then we can see where to go after the A.I. is back online."

Mantar brings up the entry for Richard on the communicator and opens the line, and relays to Richard what Godwin told Mantar. Finishing the message, he goes back to looking for mysterious or changed files.
Virus Buster.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 06, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »

Concerning Order

Introduction: A definition, and a background to the most revere'd path of Order Magic

Order Magic comprises the thirdmost class of magic within the Human branch of Magic (Sometimes vulgarly referred to as the Flesh branch). The other two magics themselves being the challenging Balance class, and the dangerous Chaos class. The three form an unjointed circle, following the colours of a spectrum, or prism spectre. Order is of the colours Yellow and White, making it adjacent (but by no means in contact withe) the profane magics of Chaos.
This is reflected in the truth: "That which Chaotic is, must inevitably form Order spontaneous within its roiling deeps".

Magic
Plainly put, Order is a means by which the entropic forces, tugging at the strings of the world, may be held back, even defeated. Applications of Order include the induction of momentum to that which is still, the introduction of Purpose (also referred to as 'Lifestuff'. Purpose resides in all that lives. On the occasion of death, a being gives up its Purpose, which often remains in the vicinity as what is commonly called a Ghost) to that which lies inanimate and the achievement of greater understanding of the Laws which govern that which is, that they may be better understood, and that the practitioner may become aware of how best to operate within them.
Perhaps the most rendition of the latter use is the noble art of Alchemy. The transmutation or summoning of elemental things.

History
It is written, and also plainly preserved for all to see in such wonders as the fragments of Atlantis occasionally discovered by fishermen, that Order magic once formed the cornerstone of human civilisations. However, a Cataclysm often uncouthly referred to as "The Mage Wars" rent the world of magic asunder, and the Chapters of Order waned in power. It is thought some persist to this day, working beyond the sight of most to restore the days of bygone glory, although this task is in reality impossible, as was discussed in the book "On the Nature of the Cataclysm, and of its aftermath in the affairs of man".
It is well known that these chapters were concieved and guided by an elemental manifestation of Order magic. It holds no true name, but the most adept in Order magics claim to have communed with, and even glimpsed this glorious thing. Below is a crude rendering based on an account by the Grandmaster of the Guild of the Followers of the Magnificent Disc.

________
Godwin winced as she turned the page and saw the woodcut... then wondered why. It was just a perfectly ordinary picture... she thought back to the chaos book but wasn't quite able to recall what it was she was supposed to have expected. She shook her head and frowned. The book on order had certainly been interesting, but held no trace of information on how to combat Chaos. It made no sense at all. The mages in the OPF were always at each others throats about their alignments... but there was no record of any real conflict... aside from these 'Mage Wars', which just seemed to fanciful to be real. Fragments of Atlantis? Please! The people that wrote these books obviously had a screw loose.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1102 on: February 06, 2007, 04:43:44 pm »
Richard sat in his chair and pondered for a bit.

"He wants to cause chaos...? Pump four... tube access... Xeno-Fission fuel...? What is the connection... what is   the connection?" Richard spoke to himself in his office.

He went to his computer, it was working since the warehouse had been powered up much longer than the rest of the HQ. The mainframe was down so Richard used a cached version. A report on Obano and it's tube system came up. Richard found nothing and brought up a report on the pumping stations, again, nothing.

"Stranger... what are you doing... what are you doing..." Richard said "Perhaps the OPF is not going to be able to help me here..."

Richard went into his personal databank and brought up his own files, specifically the ones from the terraforming project. He spent a while looking over them and still he found nothing.

"Damn... I don't understand..." Richard said, giving up.

There was a large image file, a fully detailed schematic of a completed Obano. It was one of those things that was probably restricted to those with Level 0 clearance but since he'd helped draw it up he made sure he kept a copy. He opened it and looked it over, his eyes traced the intricate network of tubes. There were thousands of miles of tubes under Obano. He found pumping station four and held his finger on it.

"Okay so the pump he is at is here... and the others..." He said, finding the various other pumping stations "Are there... so what?"

Richard wiped a spec off of the bottom of the screen. He looked past it and at the image, it was a sea floor. Obano was not seated on a layer of bedrock, only the soft sea floor. It was assumed that an object of that size would not really need a hard surface to be built on, it seemed to be a valid assessment.

"Okay so he wants to cause a problem... disable the pumps and the tube system breaks down halting all OPF operations. Perhaps... maybe flood them? Give the OPF something much worse to deal with and take them out of commission for a while so he can attack. That sounds good... but why the Xeno-Fission fuel..." Richard thought for a while "He can't make a reactor, even his computer can't manage that... too complicated... think simpler... bio-weapons? Mass irradiation of the continent... a bomb?"

Richard felt he was on to something. A Xeno-Fission bomb, while still very complicated, was entirely feasible if you spent enough time working with it.

"Okay so he has a bomb... maybe more than one. He won't be able to destroy much of the continent... the explosion will just retract back into itself during it's collapse. Underground would do more damage because the energy waves would travel through... hmm..." There was a spark in Richard's mind "Fill the tubes with water, detonate a bomb in there and the resulting shock wave would carry through the entire system... a large portion of Obano would crumble and there is no bedrock... the whole thing turns to jelly and it sinks... that could work... that could work..."

Richard was about to send a message to Mantar.

"Although... maybe that's too simple for someone like Stranger... I mean he isn't even using his precious magic..." Richard said, turning back to his console "Maybe I need to think about this some more..."

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 06, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »
Stranger shuddered, it felt as though the thing he had felt before was back for a moment, but it slipped away.  Oddly enough, it wasn't as threatening anymore, it felt as though...  Well, it felt like he was being congratulated.  He remembered what it had said in that first dream, so many months ago.  You will do my bidding, even if don't know it, like you've always done it.  He felt a wave of revulsion, and a horrible thought occurred to him.  What if he was being used?  What if this thing was somehow manipulating him?  He would have to find out when this was over.  He would finish this, and then he would finish whatever claimed mastery over him.

He turned his mind back to the matter at hand.  Spheres were being sent out almost constantly now, going to major intersections where the explosions would do the most damage and the water would spread fastest.  Soon enough there would be enough of them to fill the entire system in a matter of hours, and he would set them off.  After that it would all be over, the bombs had no dramatic countdown timer, they were rigged to go off when the pressure in the tubes was enough to transfer the shock.  After that...  Well good bye and good riddance to Obano, followed by the end of civilization.  He took out his walkie talkie.  "How are the other posts doing?"

"The other two pumping stations are matching production, all three bombs are set."

"Very good, and our escape?"

"Ready to take the entire base at any time."

Stranger thought for a moment.  "Can you expand the field to take the ruins?  I have...  Unfinnished business."

"Of course, just a minor adjustment."

"See that it's done."

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 08, 2007, 05:56:44 pm »
Stranger looked up, the sounds of work had stopped.  He saw the last of the spheres depart, and after a quick check confirmed that the other pumping stations had also finished.  After a moment all the spheres were in place, ready to unleash hundreds of thousands of gallons of water into the OPF tube system.  He gave the order and every sphere detonated at the same time, making most of the tubes impassable and swiftly pouring water into all of them.

On the surface the whole of Obano felt a low vibration equivalent to an earthquake of 2.4 on the Richter scale.  Citizens looked at each other with a mixture of surprise, confusion and fear.  Earthquakes were supposed to be impossible on Obano, but there had been one.  A single thought passed through all their heads, Somethings wrong.  Then the panic started.

On the far side of reality a great being watched events unfold on Obano with as close as it would ever come to glee (it knew of emotions, but had never felt any but rage, hatred, and the constant gnawing hunger).  Despite his insubordination, it appeared that Stranger would accomplish his goal.  And if that happened, opening the gates would be unnecessary, the balance of power that had long ago slipped to its favor would clatter to the ground, and its bonds would weaken to nothing.

Of course, it was by no means reliant on Stranger.  The man had always been...  A back up.  And with the gate back on earth, escape was nearly guaranteed.  Sooner or later someone would break the seal, and then it could at long last set about the task of satiating its hunger.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 08, 2007, 06:09:52 pm »
"Aha!" Mantar exclaimed, finding the back door installed by Matci, "This shouldn't be here, no wonder our A.I. is taking so long."

He tries to delete it.

"/File currently in use by another program/"

"Damnit!" Mantar shuts down the anti-viruses running from his headset and removes it from the terminal to return it to his head.

He runs out of his room and starts taking the stairs down, heading for the security room. As he does, he contacts Richard.

"I found that we've been hacked, nothing serious, just delaying our A.I. from coming back on, I'm heading to the security room so they can stop it and delete it. We should be able to have things up and running in a few minutes after the file is removed."

Just then, the ground starts to shake. Mantar trips down a few stairs but is otherwise unharmed. He picks up speed to reach the security room.
Virus Buster.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 08, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Godwin felt a great jolt as the bookcases lurched forward. Shoving the books she had been reading back on the shelf she checked the internal sensors and left the archive room.
"Sir" she, activated her communicator and called Mantar "Did you just feel a sort of shuddering jolt?"

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 08, 2007, 06:37:25 pm »
"Yes, and I'm going to help the security team look into it as soon as we get the A.I. back on." Mantar continues to race down the stairs, "I'll let you know if we find anything worth while, but for now, I haven't heard anything from Sam in a while. I was told that girl, Valerie was with him last, can you see if you can find them?"
Virus Buster.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1108 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:12 pm »
The warehouse shuddered a little bit and Richard instinctively bolted upright, out of his wheelchair. He grabbed his legs in pain and fell back down into the chair, he was breathing heavily.

"An earthquake? Impossible!" Richard said, his communications line still open with Mantar "What kind of sick joke is this?"

Richard rolled out of the office and looked around, the workers in the warehouse had all stopped. As Richard made his way into the room there was dead silence. A low rumble could be heard at the far end of the warehouse. He stopped over the point where the sound was loudest, got out of his chair, and put his ear up to the floor. Below him, maybe only twenty feet, there was the sound of rushing water. He had known there was a tube there but the excessive noise coming from it made no sense. The noise quickly stopped and Richard sat up straight, his brainstorm about Stranger's plan flashed through his mind. Clumsily Richard got back into his wheelchair and turned around.

"Everybody go over to the teleporter now... Davidson, go into the classroom and roll the cabinet with the Xeno-Fission cores over." Richard said, his voice wavering.

Everyone did as they were told and a minute later they were assembled.

"Ah... um... shoot I can't think. Davidson, what was the largest empty room in the Dungeon on the Heron?" Richard said, his mind racing.

"Sir? I-it's about ten thousand square feet... y-you built it yourself." Davidson said worriedly.

"Oh... ah... right. I um... I forgot, that's all." Richard said, turning the other way and looking at the floor.

"What's going on? You never forget that stuff." Davidson asked.

"No time... no time. Okay you are all going to the Heron... with all the stuff." Richard barely irked out.

"W-what!?" Davidson yelled.

Richard entered a coordinate into the teleporter and a power setting and rolled onto the warehouse floor, Davidson approached him.

"Sir what the hell do you think you're doing!?" He yelled "You can't do this!"

"I can and I am! T-the earthquake... didn't you feel it?" Richard asked with fear in his voice.

"Yeah so what? It's an earthquake... we are on the Earth!" Davidson said sarcastically.

"But we're on Obano..." Richard said slowly.

"Yeah so wh-" Davidson began, his eyes widening. He slowly stepped back into the crowd of people at the teleporter and sat down on the floor.

There was a loud bang and the teleporter, generator, office, equipment, and the workers all disappeared. The room went dark.

Richard rolled past the spot where the noise had been and over to the hanger teleporter. He stopped about half way there. His hands were wet like he had rolled through a puddle, Richard sped up. The floor behind him creaked a bit and a new sound, like a broken water spicket, could be heard. Richard reached the teleporter and entered in the passcode for the hanger, the floor heaved up behind him and water began pouring into the room. Within seconds there was a foot and a half of water in the warehouse, in a few moments it would be full up. Richard frantically hit the enter key on the console and the wall lit up with an image of the hanger. There was a strong current that pulled him through the portal and he fell with a thud into the hanger. Thousands of gallons of water came with him and there was a good inch of water on the hanger floor. A few guards ran up and looked at Richard.

"What in the hell is this!?" One yelled.

"T-the tubes... they're full of water. Sound the alarm!" Richard said.

The guards looked at him strangely, only OPF members with high clearance knew about the tube system. Richard laid down on his back and rested his arm on his chest, he dialed Mantar's number.

"Mantar... Mantar this is bad. The tubes are full of water... the warehouse is flooded I don't know what to do. It's got to be Stranger... I think he's trying to sink Obano." Richard said.

There was another tremor and the guards, having just heard Richard, bolted out of the room.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 08, 2007, 07:07:57 pm »
"Damnit damnit damnit..." Mantar exclaimed as he makes a sharp turn and heads towards the arcane rooms.

On the way to the mages' rooms, he opens a connection with Godwin again.

"Jennifer, change of plans, Richard believes that Stranger's intent is sink all of Obano. Get to the communications room and broadcast a message for everyone in the building on high alert and ready for evacuation at any time. Hold off on broadcasting a continent-wide broadcast, we'll gain nothing by panicking the entire populace this early on. Between Richard's efforts, and the earth and water mages, we should be able to save this continent."

Mantar bursts into the arcane studies room.

"Hydro- and geo-mancers, report!"

"Sir." several people in brown and blue robes assembled and saluted.

"Acolytes, go to the sub-basements and see what you can do to pump out the water and keep the ground stable." several people in plain robes file out at Mantar's command while several in runed robes remain, "And you, take the magic teleporter and position yourselves at various points around Obano, at least one pair at each pumping station for the tube system. I'm pretty sure it can be used without the A.I., if not we will have it up and running in less than fifteen minutes." the remaining mages file out and head towards the teleporter.

Mantar turns around and rushes down the stairs towards the security room again.

"I found why the A.I. isn't back yet!" Mantar exclaims as he bursts into the security room.

He explains the problem and they start working on it with furious speed and the aid of Mantar.
Virus Buster.