Author Topic: The NEW Superpower RP  (Read 218738 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
The NEW Superpower RP
« on: October 15, 2006, 04:10:12 am »
The year, 2016. The human race is at its economic peak but everyone you ask will admit they are unhappy. The pollution is terrible and global warming effects are visible and still rising. Cars run along roads covering the ground and above, blotting out the sun. The big news this year is that scientists have created a way to create new land, and a large continent has been created over the pacific ocean between Asia and America, they call this continent, "Obano." It is thriving politically, economically and biologically, covered in rainforest's and small towns, Obano has been labeled "mankind's greatest treasure, the clean new world." And it is indeed clean, as it is beautiful in every way. Sadly it will not remain, as more and more people move there to start new, unpolluted lives. To stop this, the nations of the world combined together and opened a new force, for superheroes. There objective, to protect the new continent, so the world will have hope for generations to come. YOU are a member of this force, if you are good that is. Your job, to police i
emigrations and keep the clean world safe from evildoers who want the land all to themselves.

Rules

1. Players may drop in and out whenever they want, make it clear whether you are good, bad, or nuetral, if you are good, you should most likely be part of the international Obano policing force.

2. One super at a time, if you have two you will be removed, no exceptions.

3. You don't have to be part of the main Obano plot, you can jut be a general super villain/hero doing his/her job.

4.Try and keep your posts easy and understandable.

4. If you are gone for a long time and the plot is depending on you, I wil move it on.

5. New rules are open for suggestions.

Universal rules:

GamingSteve Forum Story-Based RP Rules.
Written by Samog, PatMan33, and Krakow Sam. Last Edited 2/25/07

The object of the game is to play a character in a fantasy world of your design. You will tell the story from your character's point of view until the story ends, you die, or something along those lines...(If you do die you could always come back as a ghost or clone or pull a "never really killed" kind of thing. Anything works, it's totally up to you) These games are very fun when you have a dedicated group of players that can write good stories. Remember! The point is not to win, the point is to write an interesting story that people want to read!

Rules You Should Follow (Unless you want Pat to come after you)
-Don't speak for anyone else and don't play as another person's character. Let the other people playing the game respond to anything your character says and does to them. In other words don't do this:

Poster Four: I said no, but "Poster Three" said yes. Then he shot at me.
**This rule is not set in stone so use your own discretion. If you are posting during a drought and want to move the story along you may speak for others, also you may allow other characters to say simple things if it's really not story related.

-If you want to enter the story you can create a new person (In the Out of Character [OoC] thread) and introduce that person; also you can take over for an NPC. If your character has partners in their story, feel free to let us know if there are any open positions that you might like to see filled.

-Any created roles not filled by people (like a bus driver, shop keeper, etc...) can be taken over at any point in the story. Until then it is fair game to write what they do and say and such.

-You are always allowed to leave the story but be careful; if you do this, it's possible you may not have your original character to go back to later on should it be "bumped off" or something. To keep them safe you can make them ride off into the sunset, if you will, and reintroduce them later. If you do not the other players are allowed to do what they want to them.

-Nicknames are allowed.

-If someone's prolonged silence is interfering with a plot line's continuance other players may treat their character as an NPC until the controlling poster returns. You can NOT kill that character though.

-Use spellcheck and proper punctuation or I will kill you. (I think you know who added this rule.)

-Try to stick with the basic rules of the world. No flying monkeys in a world with no magic.

-The RP is a game, but you must be a decent writer if you wish to participate. Posts are expected to have detail and well thought out dialog. You are not allowed to make single sentence posts. We strive to make a story, not a topic full of stage direction.

-Don't be afraid to ask for help or to coordinate plot sequences. Conferring with your fellow players is the key in making a good RP, however don't give up your whole plot or become reliant on other player's ideas. Part of the fun of the RP is trying to "out write" your rivals. It makes for a good time.

-An RP usually follows a set point of view. Generally RPs are written in third person limited omniscient. It is not unheard of to have an RP written in first-person but it is generally seen as more rigid.
**Note that whichever form you write in, be it these two or another, your writing should be heavily influenced by your character's knowledge of the situation.

-Posting rules are simple, don't post unless there is at least one other post by another person after your most recent post. Also you should post regularly!

-Finally, if you feel inclined to join an RP that is in progress make sure you are not jumping in during a scene that is pivotal to the plot or at the climax of a story-arc. This can ruin an RP.

What different fonts denote:
Normal Text: Denotes plot development and character actions. The bulk of the RP is made of this.
"Text in quotations": Denotes speech. A large part of the RP is usually made of up speech.
~"Text in quotations preceded by a tilde": Denotes a translation. If your character speaks another language and you wish to write what they say in English, put a tilde (~) before the first quotation. This kind of speech is rarely used, but it adds to the atmosphere.
Italics: Denotes thought and inner monologue. Also is used for flashbacks, dreams, books, and computer readouts.
** There is no need to use Italics for books if the entire post is an excerpt from a book. Just make mention that it is an excerpt from a book and Italicize that one line. (Ex: Excerpt from A History of Obano...)

Here's an example of how the game works: (Written in first person)
Poster One: Well, it was Monday again and yet another day of school was coming; I was waiting lazily at the bus stop. When the bus came I got on to find it empty save for the bus driver and myself.
That's weird. I thought to myself I'm like, the fourth to last stop... There are usually no seats left when I get on.

Poster Two: I got on the bus and saw 'poster one', but no one else.
"Where is everyone?" I asked.

Poster One: "I don't know" I said back to her "Maybe they're all out sick."

Poster Two: "I don't think everyone could be out sick..." I replied.

Poster Three: I silently agreed with her in my head. I had been driving this bus for 3 years, and usually only 1 or 2, if any kids were out sick. I didn't say anything at that point though because i was just there to do my job and drive the bus. Still i couldn't help but wonder where everyone else could be.

And the story would basically go on until the problem is resolved or at least the current conflict ends. Sub plots are very likely to lead into another RP where it becomes the main plot.

Your super

Be free and original with the origins and powers, I will soon start an OOC thread, when I am sure people are actually interested.

Finally, sorry for my spelling, I am using a laptop and the keyboard is weird.

All content in this thread is copyright the respective poster.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:07:25 am by Alwayswatching »

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Superpower RP
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:47:30 pm »
I think I'll be Dr. Julius Sutherford, evil megalomaniac genius. My power is mind control on the weak (free minions, yay!)
muahahaha!

;D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:50:24 pm »
Okaaaaaaaaay... I'll go OOC this RP..

Offline The Tormentor

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • VOTE WDP
    • View Profile
    • S.S Retribution
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:52:55 pm »
I'm gonna be Truth, a superhero who can fly, cling to walls, shoot red and grey energy out his hands, and read peoples minds. Oh and hes really agile and fast.

P.S: Is it possible for a charecter to have an evil opposite, or turns evil for a bit or something like that?
Vote WDP in the Election!!! Unity!!!<br /><br />

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 02:06:46 pm »
He woke up, and it hurt, very much so. The light was harsh and his bones were aching, and he was sure that if he attempted to move he would find he couldn't. Out of focus figures stood over him. He groaned and the figures moved suddenly. Where was he? Who was he? What was he? He stretched his fingers, the felt strange, yet familiar. Suddenly, his surroundings changed.

He was standing on a street, and a shadowy figure was standing acroos from him. He raised his hand, and the figure across fro him shivered and dissapeared, suddenly it got a lot colder, and he started to soin around, faster and faster.... The surroundings glowed and blinded him, he could hear screaming, pain surged powerfully forward.

Back in the room, on the bed. He was still screaming, his arms waving around and hitting what he could. There was a strong beeping noise over his right ear and the figures were running around like crazy. He calmed down and piped up in an unfamiliar rough, low voice, some of the words he remembered.

"Help.... Help me...."

Offline The Tormentor

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • VOTE WDP
    • View Profile
    • S.S Retribution
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:28:37 pm »
Truth was searching the streets for the screaming noises he had heard. He thought it had came from the abandoned hospital in the east part of town. He sped off in it's direction...
Vote WDP in the Election!!! Unity!!!<br /><br />

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:04:31 pm »
"What's our ETA?" asked a loud feminine voice.

"About thirty minutes ma'am." replied a deep voice.

"Good, once we dock we will have twelve hours to refuel and restock before the passengers begin to arrive. Make sure everything goes as usual!" said the female voice.

"Of course. I will make the final checks now." replied the deep voice again.

A man saluted a woman dressed in an elaborate suit and walked out the door. The woman, Captain of the Golden Heron, walked to a control panel and began punching in various codes. A small red light went off on the panel and the Captain sighed. She lifted up her arm and pressed a few buttons on a device implanted in her wrist.

"Likely! Likely wake up! RICH!!" She yelled.

Down below the bridge, far below the dining halls and cinema and the Olympic sized hover rink; so far away from the bathrooms that you could run for an hour and still not get there, was what the crew called "The Dungeon". The Dungeon was where the Head Engineer and his crew resided. The Dungeon was not a particularly bad place. Granted it was not as nice as the rest of the ship or even some of the expensive hotels in the area; but The Dungeon was far better than anything else around. It took up the entire first three floors of the ship, plus the engine room. It was the perfect place for any gear head to live. Plus it was big enough that you could rearrange some things and make the perfect lab that nobody would ever find. And that is exactly what one man decided to do.

Way off in an obscure part of the Dungeon was a room that few knew about and even fewer knew how to get to. And in that room was probably one of the greatest mechanical minds of all time, even if nobody knew that but him. Yes, Richard B. Likely was that man and he was proud of it. He was also a humble man who would do anything he could to help people with their problems. Richard B. Likely was a force for good in the universe (Even if he doesn't care who uses his machines). Right now though, he was sleeping on the job.

"---ely w--e up! RICH!!" A voice came thundering through Richard's communicator.

Richard opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling.

"Yeah?" He mumbled.

"Rich, I've got a light blinking up here, it says there is a problem with the central rotator gyro. Can you get one of your guys to fix it?" The Captain asked.

"Yeah I'm on it." He mumbled again.

"Thanks Rich!" The Captain said, ending the communication.

Richard looked at his communicator and slid it into his pocket.

"Damn thing... oh well... at least it isn't in my wrist." he said to himself.

Richard walked out of his hidden lab and went through a series of hallways, elevators, and hidden hatches until he came to a keypad. He entered his code and the wall opened up. Once Richard was on the other side a large metal shipping container slid back into place, hiding the entrance. Richard was back in the real world. He walked down a few dozen corridors and arrived at a large steel door with a DNA scanner. He put his finger into the scanner and the door slid open.

Before him was the massive Twin Hyperflux engine that powered the entire ship. It produced enough energy to power a medium sized country. There were service bots running around doing some cleaning, Richard liked nothing more than to keep his workspaces clean. He walked over to a computer panel and unlocked the engine entry panel. Richard walked inside and headed for the central rotator gyro. Around him were sights and sounds that only a handful would ever see. At the end of a long walkway was the central rotator gyro chamber. When he walked in he saw service bots trying to fix the problem with the device. Their attempts were met with their titanium bodies being vaporized by the gyro's xeno-fission rings.

Richard looked around the room for the problem. There it was! One of the matrix control lasers was out of sync with the rest of the system and was causing a slow but steadily increasing leak in the matrix. He walked over to the xeno-fission ring array and watched them. Without much effort Richard jumped through all of the rings and over to the matrix control panel. Normal operating procedures dictated that the machine must be shut down to reach the matrix control panel but according to Richard, "That takes too damn long and I have a thing soon".

At the panel Richard lowered the laser down to his level and pulled out a long rod that appeared to have many buttons and complicated functions about it. He concentrated good and hard and positioned the rod in just the right spot. He swung the rod really hard and nailed the back of the laser. It shut off.

"Three... two... one..."

The laser turned back on and Richard sent it back into position. He turned around and hopped through the rings again and left the engine core. His communicator began to beep.

"Rich! You got it! Good work!" Said the Captain.

"Anytime, Miss." Richard said.

"Thanks to you we will be able to keep our schedule! See you topside in five minutes!" The Captain said, closing the communication.

Richard grinned and walked through the engine room door.

"Thanks to me the Northern Hemisphere didn't just get a thousand degrees warmer."

He laughed a little bit and headed to the service elevator. Hopefully it would be nice outside.

(Take note, he is neutral.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:46:49 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 09:57:08 pm »
Mantar Yasipolitz emerges from the now-ruined laboratory. He looks around trying to see any odd-looking men like the ones who smashed up the lab.

"I guess they're gone." he whispers to himself.

He steps through the doorway and closes it behind him and locks it with his passcard.

After returning the card to his wallet, and his wallet to his pocket, he takes a better look at his surroundings. People walking, and vehicles whizzing by, as if nothing had happened.

"I wonder what kind of technology the raiders were using... cloaking devices?" Mantar thought to himself while sighing.

He walked towards to the local policing department to file a report of the incident.

After a few blocks, he arrives at the door of the department and opens the door. After stepping through the door, he closes the door and sits in a nearby chair and waits for the receptionist.

(Oh yeah; Mantar is generally a good person. )

OOC here a bit, I guess I'm a bit unsure of how the the departments function, so if what I did was wrong, someone inform me and I can adjust my RP to fit what should be done. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:10:14 am by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:27:56 pm »
“I’ve finished another figurine for you.” Basil McLaren announced as he walked up the front steps into Yuki’s small roadside shop. As soon as she had learned that he could carve more than a simple wooden handle Yuki had begun ordering as many of the grim looking wooden figurines as Basil would make.

“Oh! Let me see them!” She said excitedly in her slightly raspy voice. “Aww. You always make them look so mean. But they still sell well enough I suppose.”

“The money’s over on the counter.” She said pointing to the far side of the room. “So, I heard that another town jus’ down the road was hit by one of those roving gangs just the other day. It really scares me how close they’re getting. What do you think?”

“I don’t think much about it.” Basil lied as he picked up the small wad of cash on the counter. “I doubt we have much they’d want anyways. There are still bigger targets for them down the road in the opposite direction”

“So what do yah do out there all alone in that tiny little shack of yours out in the middle of the jungle?” Yuki asked, just the same way she did every time he came by.

He decided to give her a different answer than normal this time. “It’s not what I do out there that matters, it’s what the rest of the world does, and that’s leaving me alone.”

“Now do you have those groceries I asked for last time?” He asked quickly trying to change the subject.

“What? Oh yah. They’re right there behind the counter.” She answered somewhat distractedly. “So, uh, do you think you might want a little… company out there in that little shack?”

“Where’s the mayonnaise I asked… What!” he said as he realized what she was saying. “Look, you’re nice woman and everything but..”

*Bang*

Just on the other side of the plywood siding of one of Yuki’s walls all sorts of loud noises where being made. Chief among them were the sounds of motor engines and gun fire.

“Oh my God! Basil, it the gang! Yuki shouted as she began quickly pacing the room.

Basil took on the sudden look of a tiger in a cage. Quickly he lowered himself to one of the wall’s many empty knot holes. Peering through, he saw a small group of men. Clearly not the whole gang, but they did still have a leader calling the shots.

“Oh! Basil your gun!” everyone in town knew about his gun. It never left his side, and so was easily visible when ever he took off his shirt to work on larger pieces of lumber.

“Shhh.” He hushed as he pressed a finger to her lips. “I only use that if I need it.”

He began quickly rifling through the shop’s shelves grabbing things like tuna cans, work knives, and scissors. Carefully he crept to an open window facing out over the street and threw a tuna can so that it arched unseen over the street and landed loudly in a metal barrel. Startled, the gang ran to investigate the noise. Four men, that’s how many he counted. Taking a deep breath he leapt out of the window and, upon landing, unleashed a single volley of four sharp objects, each one seating itself soundly in the neck of its target. With a simultaneous *thud* all four men collapsed, dead.

“Ask Derrick to take care of these bodies” Basil said to Yuki, who was now staring with a stunted face through the window. “And I wouldn’t worry about more of these men showing up. I think the rest of the gang went in the opposite direction like I said.”

With that Basil grabbed his groceries from the other side of the window a left back into the jungle.

(Note: Basil McLaren is moraly good, but his aprehensions about trusting other, particularly those who claim to act on other's behalf, make him act somewhat more neutraly)

Like Yossitaru, I'm somewhat new to this, so please try to help me out if I'm doing any of this wrong. :-\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:46:56 pm by Fade2gray »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 04:57:04 am »
<beep beep! Beep beep>

Arthur Fab rolled over in bed and picked up his watch. Pressing a dial on the side, the beeping halted and a stern face appeared on a video-screen built into the front of the watch.

"Fab" said the face. "We have a new assignment for you"

"Already?" Replied Arthur "But I only just thwarted Dr Haemorrage and his missile plot yesterday. Give a man a break"

"Its nothing strenuous Fab, just some light reconnaisance. You do need to do the occasional bit of grunt work to justify what we're paying you. I tell you, if the taxpayers found out there would be widespread rioting..."

"I think I could handle them" interuppted Arthur, smirking.

"This is no time for macho posturing, 119. Now, onto business. I'm assuming youve heard of Obano? Or have you been too busy playing baccarat and bedding every floozie you meet to pay attention to major events of the last decade?"

"The new continent the eggheads cooked up? Yes, ive heard of it. Is something big going down there?"

"Perhaps. We want you to check out the business of a man called Dr Julius Sutherford. He's a wealthy industrialist and an utter genius. He holds over 10 doctorates in sciences, and a number more in arts. He is also a suspected metahuman with extreme megalomaniac tendencies. We've been receieving tip-offs that he has recently been active on Obano and we dont like it. That continent is humanity's greatest hope for the future, and we dont want some maniac destroying it all."

"My contact?"

"A man by the name of Riddle. Meet him at Obano international airport. He will be wearing a large grey coat and a wide-brimmed hat. Ask him for directions to the Victoria and Albert Museum."

"Alright. I'll tell you if I find anything..."

Pressing another watch dial Arthur ended communications and turned back over. It was only 11am. Still plenty of time to sleep in. 
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:59:30 am »
A door opens across the room from the seating area. A young woman steps through.

"Next?" she calls.

Mantar looks around to make sure there wasn't anyone there before him. He stands up and walks over.

"Your name and business, sir?" she askes as he steps forward.

"Mantar Yasipolitz. I wish to file a report of an attack on the lab where I work." he said.

The receptionist turns around for a moment and takes something from the other side of the door. She turns back around and hands Mantar a clipboard.

"Fill this out and we will send them to the proper channels to help you with your problem." she told him as she handed over a pen.

Mantar returns to his seat and starts to fill out the sheets.

About a half hour later he finishes filling in the forms. Under the final sheet of the report papers, he notices an extra sheet, an application to join the "Obano Protection Force". He removes the application from the clipboard and folds it up and slides it into his shirt's front pocket. Taking one last look over the papers, he stands up and walks back towards the door. It opens and the receiptionist walks through once more. He hands her the clipboard and pen. She flips through the papers and nods.

"Everything looks in order." she says, then pauses before saying, "I see you are interested in joining us, as you have taken the application form at the end. I hope you will fill that out and return it soon, we can use all the help we can get."

Mantar nods slowly as his only reply.

"Now then," the receptionist speaks up again, "I will make sure these get to the proper people, and we can send a team as soon as we can. Someone from the department will contact you when things are ready."

Mantar nods once more. The receptionist returns through the door and it shuts behind her. Mantar turns around and heads out the door back on to the street.

"So much red tape..." he thinks to himself and sighs.

He turns to return to the lab to gather up his equipment. Ariving, he pulls out his passcard and swipes it through to unlock the door. As he steps in, he sees his bow and quiver of arrows where he left them, but the bodies are gone. He takes a quick search around the lab but can't find the bodies anywhere.

"Great they must have returned... what did they want the bodies for?" he says quite loudly to himself.

Taking one last quick look around but sees nothing else missing and takes up his bow and quiver and slings them both over his shoulder. He exits out the door and locks it again before heading home to his apartment.

Another short walk, about as far from the lab as the department was, but south instead of north, he arrives at his appartment complex. He takes the elevator the his floor and decides to get some leftovers from the refrigerator before head to bed to sleep for the night while waiting for the call to come.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:13:05 pm by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:31:01 am »
The man in the shady looking hospital kept screaming. The pain was terrific. He felt like is right hand was cut off and the blood was running out without the help of platelets causing a clot. He concentrated, time to release his anger. It felt like years of forcing out his power from all openings. Suddenly the shackles holding down his arms and legs snapped by themselves and he lept up. One of the shackles appeared to dematerialise into ashes, which floated into his hand and rematerilaised into a handgun. Holding it up, he looked panicky, but the doctors and nurses had their hands up, and one of the youngers was crying. He slowly backed to the door, and before he left the operating theater, he managed to shoot most of them. Noticing his nakedness, he grabbed a robe hanging on the door and wrapped it around him. A woman looked over the bed at him.

"Please! Just go. Don't hurt me! Don't hu-"

It was too late, the man raised his hands and the woman slowly but surely dematerialised into nothing. Clutching his gun, he took one last look at where the woman was kneeling then turned and fled.

Running along the heavily mirrored corridor, he realised that he was still exhausted, and his right arm was still killing him. Holding it up, he noticed a thick steel bracelet wrapped around it, with nothing visible on the outside. He attempted to destroy it, but it didn't budg. Strange. He wasn't used to things he couldn't destroy.Looking at the bracelet, something else caught his attention, the mirror on front of him reflected an unfamiliar body. Walking over to it, he raised a hand to the cold glass. Looking back at him was an older man, around 22. Nowhere near the boy of 12 he used to be. Also, he had no more colour, he had redish eyes, and pale skin and hair. He had read about people like him, albinos. His robe, which was still dangling open, showed to him something else, he now, clearly, had a six pack, examining the muscles, he realised he had no idea of how they got there. This wasn't him, he concluded, it was a dream or something. It wasn't him.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 09:45:05 am »
//one-one-nine... there has been a change of plans//

"Oh dear. Paperwork getting mixed up is it Sir?" Smirked ASrthur as he drove his Alton Marvin sports car down the winding streets of somewhere in the Mediterranean"

//well... frankly... yes. But show some damn respect. We havent been able to get you plane tickets to Obano, so we're using ther next fastest option//

"its not another rocket is it? I remember what happened to 116 you know. they never did find his head"

//No, we have secured you a place on the Golden Heron. I'm almost certain you would have heard of that//

"The name certainly rings a bell. You should have told me sooner, I would have packed another Tuxedo"

//Yes, I thought you might know of it. Just make sure youre on board when that ship leaves Europe.//

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 12:20:59 pm »
With a gasp Basil threw himself awake. The night after the attack had been a bad one. As calm and collected as Basil may have seemed the day before, inside he had been panicking. Even worse, he hated killing. His dreams were filled with screaming and death. He saw his mother’s casket close shut for the last time, his father shot to death on what should have been one of the best days of his life, the only woman he had ever considered proposing to shot in his own bed, and now the blank stares of for men laying on a dirt road running through the jungles of Obano. But the dreams didn’t stop there. When they ran out of the images of the dead he known they began creating more. More people dead or dieing, some nameless and faceless, others he knew.

Looking outside he was amazed to see how late into the day it was. The Sun stood nearly directly above, one of the only times it was clearly visible through the thick vegetation. He knew Derrick was going to be upset, but he wasn’t going to have another load of lumber ready for him until almost sundown.

Grabbing his ax, he began chopping large branches down to more manageable sizes that the people in town could use. As late as his start was, the day still seemed to drag on at a lazy pace. That’s why he loved his new home. He was alone.

By the time he was done he knew he would only just have enough time to drop off his lumber and get back before it was too dark to see. Whistling an old song he learned as a child he set out.

“Sorry I’m late Derrick! I hope those bodies didn’t give you too much trouble!" Basil shouted laughingly as he stepped out of the jungle and into the lumberyard behind Derrick’s furniture shop. He was greeted only by silence. Opening the back door to the shop he found Derrick’s lathe running unattended. The front door to the shop was also wide open. When he stepped out through it he saw a sight he would never forget.

Forming a large pile in the middle of the street just outside Yuki’s shop were the bodies of every townsperson. Basil ran to them but before he was even halfway there he collapsed. He knew that there was nothing to be done, they were all dead.

He felt helpless. Everyone he had final learned to trust had died again. A part of him wished that he was in that pile too. But then something else woke in him. It was an anger that hadn’t felt before. He had responded to every other death in his life with fear. He had fled to the far places of the earth every time, but now something was different. He had nowhere to run to, Obano had been his last refuge. Alone in the jungle he still found people he formed a bond with, and again they died. Now it was time to fight back. As he stood up he noticed something, a body was missing. He walked around the morbid heap to be sure, but it only confirmed what he had already realized. Yuki wasn’t in that pile. He searched through town for her but she wasn’t there. She must have either fled or…

Running back to his shack in the failing light his mind sifted through all the possibilities; where was Yuki, who had killed every one, and why? By the time he had collected all of the things he planned to take with him he had decided that the gangs where his only lead. It wasn’t their MO to kill everyone in town that way, but if someone else was killing everyone on their turf they would know about it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:24:22 pm by Fade2gray »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 02:11:36 pm »
As the elevator made it's slow ascent Richard took out his communicator. He hit it against his hand a bit. Over the last few days the signal was getting worse and worse. He pondered for a while and then popped the plate off of the back of it. Just as he thought, the battery was dying. He made a note to get some when he got off of the ship.

When the elevator finished it's ten minute journey to the main deck Richard stepped out. He hated that elevator. It was so damn slow... maybe he could get the higher ups to put a slide in or something... but that was for another day. The sun was just rising over the horizon, the air was cool and there were some seagulls flying about. A hand grabbed his shoulder.

"How about it? Great place isn't it?" Said the Captain.

"Yeah, it's real nice. It's gonna be good business with this third European port open." Richard replied.

"Yes indeed! Putting this thing in Italy was a good idea!" The Captain said.

"Yup... anyway, if you will excuse me, I have some errands to run. I'll be back in a bit. Don't shove off without me!" Richard said with a grin.

"Of course not! What would we do without our head engineer on board!" replied the Captain, waving.

Richard headed off into the city. He needed to find a pharmacy or something. Walking down the empty streets reminded Richard just how many people were leaving the old lands and heading to Obano. He was not sure how to feel.

A little ways down the road he found a army surplus and went in. He was happy to find the place, army surplus stores were very rare and had the best stuff, especially if you were the right person. As Richard walked down the aisles he grabbed a few mundane things: three retinal enhancement lenses, some super glue, and a case of carbon oil. He walked up to the counter.

"Hey I am going to need three holomorphic batteries..." Richard said, trailing off.

"HMs? Yeah I've got 'em but I will need to see some ID first." The man said.

Richard gave him his ID card and the man nodded. He walked over to a large safe and entered in a few combinations. He removed a shock proof case from the safe and brought it over to Richard.

"You gonna be able to pay for this?" He asked.

"Yeah, don't worry." Richard replied.

The man smiled. Then he looked at Richard who was being very quiet.

"You need anything else?" He asked.

Richard looked around. He walked over to the door and locked it.

"Yeah, as a matter of fact I do." Richard called across the store.

The man behind the counter looked around a bit and motioned to the back door. Richard followed him in.

"What do you need then, sir?" The man asked.

"I need a xeno-fission power core." Richard said. The man stepped back a bit.

"That's a rare item... not many people carry them... lucky for you I just got one in." He said.

"Yeah, I know. How much do you want for it?" Richard asked.

"Um... how's twenty million credits sound?" The man said with a laugh.

"Deal." Richard replied, much to the man's surprise.

"Oh... uhh... okay then! I-I am going to need to see some ID though... you know... I-D." The man said.

Richard pulled out a small box from his pocket and handed it to the man. The shopkeeper put it in a slightly larger box that he had and a bright light started flashing.

"Holy Winter Holiday!! I've didn't even know they had civilian clearances this high!" The man said with a start.

"Only me!" Richard said with a smile. "Here, take my card. I have a little "business" on the side if you catch my drift.

The man nodded and took the paper card with a small analog transmitter in it. Nobody used analog signals anymore anymore so it was all but assured that it was perfectly safe to hand out. The man rang up the order and handed Richard another briefcase, this one was an Ironclad munitions class case. They were known to have survived a sub-atomic collapse and still not open. Richard made his way back to the Heron and walked up the long ramp to the deck. A few of the crew members waved and he smiled. He walked to the back of the ship and gazed out as the refueling and resupply ships began their work.

Today was going to be an easy day.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:41:00 pm by PatMan33 »