Author Topic: *New* Long Spore Article  (Read 14528 times)

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
Re: *New* Long Spore Article
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 07:00:39 am »
Yesterday I didn't need to either, but today I had to! Weird, isn't it?
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 07:21:57 am »
Did you guys notice how that guy managed to avoid talking about thhe water phase at all in that article? :(
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 07:32:46 am »
That could be good news too, you know. You could just aas easily have said the game "turns 3D when you crawl onto land" or some such sentence.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 07:37:55 am »
yeah, that'd have been worse. the thing is he talks about every stage but didn't say anything about staying in water <_<
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 09:28:59 am »
Maybe they are unsure still if it will be included in the final game.  So the best option is not to mention it.

Offline ProfPendragon

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Enigma University Life Sciences Experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 10:09:22 am »
Forgive the long quote, but I love this bit at the very end:

It occurred to me as I wandered through the halls of the Spore offices that a troubled school system could probably do far worse than to devote an entire, say, fourth-grade year to playing Spore. The kids would get a valuable perspective on their universe; they would learn technical skills and exercise their imaginations at the same time; they would learn about the responsibility that comes from creating independent life. And no doubt you would have to drag them out of the classrooms at the end of the day. When I mentioned this to Eno, he immediately chimed in agreement. I thought the same thing, he said. If you really want to reinvent education, look at games. They fold everything in: history, sociology, anthropology, chemistry you can piggyback everything on it.

But my wife made a good point when I was talking about this the other day. She says its important for kids to do boring things too. Because if you can find excitement in something boring, then youre set up for life. Whereas if you constantly need entertainment, you might have a problem, because life is full of things that arent entertaining. So I think Id have three days of Spore and two days of obligatory Latin.

Working at a grade school as I do, I found this quite amusing.  And you'd find me suddenly volunteering alot for the fourth grade. ^.^
Spore ID: ProfPendragon

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 10:54:01 am »
And you'd find me suddenly volunteering alot for the fourth grade. ^.^
Even when that means teaching latin 2 days a week to those 4th graders? :p
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline edspore_91

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 11:32:14 am »
Well sign me up for that school, I would happly do my GCSEs on spore, I wold get a big fat A* and all I would have to do is spend more time of my life on spore, and theres nothing better than that  ;D
Now its just a waiting game until next year

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 02:07:27 pm »
What I dislike about the article is about the game being released, quote late next year, which to me sounds very much like in about a year from now, which is the same ever since I found out about the game (March of this year). There's something very wrong about it staying the same all the time... 
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 02:33:05 pm »
What I dislike about the article is about the game being released, quote late next year, which to me sounds very much like in about a year from now, which is the same ever since I found out about the game (March of this year). There's something very wrong about it staying the same all the time...

It's simple "Butt-Covering" talk that the Gaming Industry needs. If you say "in a year" every day for a whole year, you will EVENTUALLY be right. Savvy?
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 11:22:15 am »
HTTP Server Error 503

No available server to handle this request

/sigh, and I was going to link it to people I know too.
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 01:19:55 pm »
says released late next year ???

We already knew that.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 06:11:44 pm »
Forgive the long quote, but I love this bit at the very end:

It occurred to me as I wandered through the halls of the Spore offices that a troubled school system could probably do far worse than to devote an entire, say, fourth-grade year to playing Spore. The kids would get a valuable perspective on their universe; they would learn technical skills and exercise their imaginations at the same time; they would learn about the responsibility that comes from creating independent life. And no doubt you would have to drag them out of the classrooms at the end of the day. When I mentioned this to Eno, he immediately chimed in agreement. “I thought the same thing,” he said. “If you really want to reinvent education, look at games. They fold everything in: history, sociology, anthropology, chemistry — you can piggyback everything on it.

“But my wife made a good point when I was talking about this the other day. She says it’s important for kids to do boring things too. Because if you can find excitement in something boring, then you’re set up for life. Whereas if you constantly need entertainment, you might have a problem, because life is full of things that aren’t entertaining. So I think I’d have three days of Spore and two days of obligatory Latin.”

Working at a grade school as I do, I found this quite amusing. And you'd find me suddenly volunteering alot for the fourth grade. ^.^

I did latin last year, 7th grade, it's FUN! Latin rocks.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2006, 10:48:33 pm »
Fabricate Diem, Pvnk!

And it's been a year from now since I joined too, which is almost a year ago...  :(

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 11:27:33 am »
Someone please copy-paste the entire article so I don't have to register. Pweez?
No way dude, you're trolling me.