Author Topic: Steves RetroReview: Shining Force  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Steves RetroReview: Shining Force
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:52:57 pm »
So I went to the store to pick this up, but I couldn't remember the name, and got Shining Soul 2. Does anyone know if it's the same type of game that Steve talked about? Something like Fire Emblem. I think it's in the same universe as Shining Force.

Has anyone played it? What are your thoughts?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Steves RetroReview: Shining Force
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:17:35 am »
So I went to the store to pick this up, but I couldn't remember the name, and got Shining Soul 2. Does anyone know if it's the same type of game that Steve talked about? Something like Fire Emblem. I think it's in the same universe as Shining Force.

Has anyone played it? What are your thoughts?

Haven't played Shining Soul 2 yet, but Shining Force was relatively similar to Fire Emblem. [Though Fire Emblem came first and is better. ;) ]

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:27:51 am »
Shining Soul is nothing like Shining Force... I hope you won't be too disappointed. It's a Dungeon Crawler where you go into Dungeons, kill monsters, find better stuff with random modifiers (hello Diablo) and earn levels to dump skillpoints into your various abilities.
Nice little game but no strategy game  ;)
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:13:18 pm »
Haven't played Shining Soul 2 yet, but Shining Force was relatively similar to Fire Emblem. [Though Fire Emblem came first and is better. ;) ]

I like Fire Emblem, expect for the fact that if your guys die then you are screwed.

Shining Soul is nothing like Shining Force... I hope you won't be too disappointed. It's a Dungeon Crawler where you go into Dungeons, kill monsters, find better stuff with random modifiers (hello Diablo) and earn levels to dump skillpoints into your various abilities.
Nice little game but no strategy game  ;)

Damn it

I havn't even had time to play it yet, so thats why I asked

Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I wasted $10  :(

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:37:59 am »

I like Fire Emblem, expect for the fact that if your guys die then you are screwed.

I have beaten the game with three people in my party before. You're not 'screwed,' it just makes it more challenging. [I intentionally let them die, BTW, to see how many I needed to beat it with.] Losing characters also teaches you to be more careful.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:46:07 am »

I have beaten the game with three people in my party before. You're not 'screwed,' it just makes it more challenging. [I intentionally let them die, BTW, to see how many I needed to beat it with.] Losing characters also teaches you to be more careful.

But then you never get any new people. You have to use certain members of your party to talk to people on the field to recruit them

Anyway, Shining Soul II isnít that bad. Itís a Diablo like game on the GBA

The only problem is that you canít really go out and grind. The only way to grind (which you need to) is to play entire levels again along with the non-skipable cut scenes.

There is more then that, but thatís my biggest gripe.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:18:58 am »

But then you never get any new people. You have to use certain members of your party to talk to people on the field to recruit them.

The majority of new people are brought on through the main character. And the main character can't die or the game is over. There are ways to screw yourself over, that's true, but they aren't as common as you're making out. The game is still excellent whether you have a full army of people or only several. And there's nothing requiring that you have access to every single potential teammate.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 11:24:41 am »
I just picked up a second hand copy of Shining Force about an hour ago,  for Twenty Euros.

This is so cool, first I get Rocket Slime the day Steve Reviews it, and now I have the retro review game as well.