Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 52470 times)

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 04:22:41 am »
Oh yeah american entertainment has nothing like that

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANN!!!!

FREEEDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

At least it's understandable.

What the hell are you, dense or something?

Its only understandable because you happen to speak english.

If you spoke japanese the anime shouting would make perfect sense.

Yeah, and I don't, that's why I hate it.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2006, 08:06:39 am »
O_o  Wow, that's remarkably xenophobic. Are you one of those people refuse to watch "forenn" movies cause "I want to watch the movie, not read it!" ? If so, your loss.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 12:11:38 pm »
Watch the Hellsing OVAs, it pretty much ruined all other anime for me because it's so awesome.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 02:55:05 pm »
Why does no-one just watch cartoons anymore? Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is where it's at, even though I very rarely get to see it. Damn Cartoon Network.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 06:35:41 pm »
Grim adventures is like on constantly down here in Australia.

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 07:32:01 pm »
That show hurts my eyes... haha
I really never got into anime... I just don't understand the appeal.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 03:24:11 am »
O_o  Wow, that's remarkably xenophobic. Are you one of those people refuse to watch "forenn" movies cause "I want to watch the movie, not read it!" ? If so, your loss.

No. I just hate people yelling in Japanese/Chinese/Whatever. Sounds so horrible with their girl voices.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
ANIME! It's ANIME!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 09:11:28 am »
Decided I'd make a general purpose Anime thread since most smaller ones regarding particular shows tend to die off somewhat soon and don't allow for as much discussion as I'd really like. So yes, once again this is all about me. What I'm looking for in this thread is an ongoing conversation about anything dealing with the hobby, the industry supporting it, and your personal experiences. Recommendations are great, so long as you provide some information about the show -- be it in the form of a link to a Wikipedia page about it, an image that doesn't break the H-scroll, or a link to a Youtube video of the show's OP, ED, or a scene that you feel epitomizes what the show is about (preferably without ruining the show by linking to a vid containing spoilers).

I'll go ahead and get us started: The show I'm currently the most interested in is Ergo Proxy.

The lead character from the show, Ri-L.

It takes various elements from Japanese horror and science fiction and puts them all together in a way that makes it rather compelling. The animation and music are spectacular, especially the Opening Credits sequence, which is bar-none one of the best I've ever seen. It's being written by the lead writer from Witch Hunter Robin and animated by manglobe, the company behind Samurai Champloo. 

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Re: ANIME! It's ANIME!
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 10:07:05 am »

...Naruto
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2006, 09:27:02 pm »
I like that.  It seems they understand the tension in modern Japan between the native Wind totem and the imported Faustian totem.

(partial explaination: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_the_West)
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 07:42:21 am »
Wow. So yeah, I've no idea what they're going for here. I ordinarily love Gonzo's stuff, but Shakespeare is turning over in his grave so much he's getting splinters.

For those unaware of Gonzo's previous works, it's the animation company behind Last Exile (opening), Full Metal Panic (opening), and the literary reimagining of The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou (opening & ending).

Last Exile and Gankutsuou, in particular, are standouts. Oh yeah. They also did a lil'-somethin' called HELLSING. [The original OVA series, not the Ultimate one; that's being handled by satelite.]

Also: If you're curious why this thread is titled 'Anime! It's Anime!,' it's a reference to the 1st Disgaea trailer.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:54:08 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 08:08:44 am »

...Naruto

Made it smaller for you.

Also, I have a tendency to hate most anime/manga. Most anime/manga has a tendency to be an exact copy of the anime/manga next to it on the store shelf. The few that I DO like are Paranoia agent, Witch Hunter Robin (Never did finish it... OFF TO YOUTUBE!), that REALLY old show Zoids (The original, not the crappy new one with the tournament and stuff like that), and that's about it. I might watch that Ergo Proxy thing mentioned in the OP along with Witch Hunter Robin if I can find it.
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:48 am »
Most anime/manga has a tendency to be an exact copy of the anime/manga next to it on the store shelf.

I agree: There are numerous conventions within the anime industry that are repeated often. Shows of that type I don't really go for very much. I like things that tread new ground, at least to some extent.

The few that I DO like are Paranoia agent, Witch Hunter Robin (Never did finish it... OFF TO YOUTUBE!), that REALLY old show Zoids (The original, not the crappy new one with the tournament and stuff like that), and that's about it. I might watch that Ergo Proxy thing mentioned in the OP along with Witch Hunter Robin if I can find it.

If you like Paranoia Agent, I would highly suggest you try out Satoshi Kon's film, Perfect Blue. He followed it up with Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, but Perfect Blue (and to a lesser extent Tokyo Godfathers) is similar to some of the themes being explored in Paranoia Agent. Witch Hunter Robin was a great show and I would heavily recommend Ergo Proxy since it's being written by the same guy, though the similarities end there; it's a very different show.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 11:14:37 am »
Also: If you're curious why this thread is titled 'Anime! It's Anime!,' it's a reference to the 1st Disgaea trailer.
They're not actually saying "Anime! It's Anime!" you know...

Although it does sound like that, now that you mention it...

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 11:23:57 am »
They're not actually saying "Anime! It's Anime!" you know...

Although it does sound like that, now that you mention it...

I know. But the fact that it sounds like they're saying it is what made me laugh back when they first showed it. Used to frequent a couple of different anime boards and everyone was jazzed about the game after the trailer due to them believing it was shouting, "Anime! It's Anime!" over and over again for a good two minutes.