Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 52405 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: ANIME! It's ANIME!
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2007, 07:44:54 pm »
One thing I really hate about anime on DVD is that they always sell those stupid "part 1 season 1, part 2 season 1" etc. things. They are really ****ing annoying since they all cost around the same as a normal half hour season of any other show, each. How ****ing stupid is that? So now I have to buy four different cases, overpriced, for a single season? Screw you!

Most companies bringing anime overseas, at least to the States, are moving away from that style of packaging. In fact, there's a strong movement towards thin-pak sets that include the entire series and rarely go over $60 for the entire thing. They used to charge insane prices for shows because they could get away with it. People would pay for it. Even the extreme expense represented by the original release of FLCL on DVD is being fixed now to some extent with a set being released at the end of January.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2007, 09:51:15 am »
Europe is always behind in these things. Lucky with the superfast internet I am getting soon I will show those companies, think they can get my money, HA!

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2007, 08:56:08 pm »
For the sake of example, Cool AN, I purchased the entire series of Last Exile in a special Range Murata box for $40. :)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2007, 04:58:27 am »
I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL YOU DAMN AMERICAN!

*ahem* I mean, that's good... for you... yeah....

Edit: I was so proud when my little brother told me he watches anime, until I figured out it was Love Hina! Where did I god wrong?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:11:26 am by Cool AN »

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Thimon

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:12 am »
I've seen some..
Berserk - Big sword = Gore
Cowboy Bebop - very hard to describe.. funny crimes in space?
Elfen Lied - short (13 eps) and has gore nudity and a storyline.. one of my favorites.
Full metal alchemist - good story
Gundam Seed + Seed Destiny - only gundam I've seen but with great characters and story.
Trigun - western in space..

Still watching..
Bleach! - ... come on.. you must at all times follow atleast one Shoujen...
Death Note - very very interesting mystery/fantasy
Colbert:  Is Spore a sex game?
Will:       In its very basics, yes.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2007, 03:49:55 pm »
Dragon ball GT sucks. Z was ok, and the original was meh.

The english version of naruto makes me want to gouge out my ears and choke naruto with my own spinal cord, YOU WANT SOMETHING TO BELIEVE!?!?!

BELIEVE THIS YOU SON OF A BI***!!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:48:57 pm by LadyM »
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2007, 08:30:28 pm »
I'LL EAT YOUR SOUL YOU DAMN AMERICAN!

*ahem* I mean, that's good... for you... yeah....

Edit: I was so proud when my little brother told me he watches anime, until I figured out it was Love Hina! Where did I god wrong?

Heh, don't worry, everybody has to start somewhere.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 03:59:46 am »
I know. It isn't to bad, though is rather addicted to it now. He got me to order the last to volumes of Love Hina because they are not animated, apparently.

Offline Global Nexus

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 08:40:19 am »
...no mention of Miyazaki's works?  Those do classify as anime, at least as far as I know.  I just ordered his Castle in the Sky from Amazon.com, which is incredible.  <3  Sadly, I can't find it in actual, physical stores...which is a shame.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 05:31:33 pm »
Check out his Howl's Moving castle, and Spirited Away. Both are great stories. I love the moral of those stories.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:12 pm »
...no mention of Miyazaki's works?  Those do classify as anime, at least as far as I know.  I just ordered his Castle in the Sky from Amazon.com, which is incredible.  <3  Sadly, I can't find it in actual, physical stores...which is a shame.

I think Miyazaki's works sometimes are ignored on anime threads for two reasons:

1) He doesn't consider his films anime.
2) Everyone loves them. Discussing them is equivalent to a en masse clapping / hooting session.

That said, yes, Miyazaki rules. Hard.

Offline Global Nexus

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2007, 06:57:54 pm »
2) Everyone loves them. Discussing them is equivalent to a en masse clapping / hooting session.

I didn't know that he doesn't consider them anime.  In fact, I just discovered his works a relatively short while ago so excuse my ignorance about how much they're liked and everything. ^^;

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2007, 10:19:03 pm »

I didn't know that he doesn't consider them anime.  In fact, I just discovered his works a relatively short while ago so excuse my ignorance about how much they're liked and everything. ^^;

Oh, don't take what I said as me chastizing you. Just was being honest about the situation. I think everyone within the anime hobby, for the most part, loves Miyazaki pretty deeply. He's done simply amazing work throughout his career.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2007, 12:42:43 pm »
Lol, while I think that Miyazaki is awesome at what he does, I also think not considering his films anime, is like fat nerdy guys insisting you call their comic books graphic novels.  :D

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:32 am »
Lol, while I think that Miyazaki is awesome at what he does, I also think not considering his films anime, is like fat nerdy guys insisting you call their comic books graphic novels.  :D

I think it's mostly for marketing rather than an overinflated sense of self. He made those claims when 'anime,' by and large around the world, implied things like DBZ, Pokemon, and the like. Shows that are part of a status quo, where they can be classified under any number of sub-genres like 'Magical Girl Show' or 'Fight Anime.' His movies, on the other hand, don't follow any of the common anime stylings, so I think he wanted to make sure people understood that there's a difference. And there is.