Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 52563 times)

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
Re: ANIME! It's ANIME!
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 11:59:01 am »
Most anime/manga has a tendency to be an exact copy of the anime/manga next to it on the store shelf.

I agree: There are numerous conventions within the anime industry that are repeated often. Shows of that type I don't really go for very much. I like things that tread new ground, at least to some extent.

The few that I DO like are Paranoia agent, Witch Hunter Robin (Never did finish it... OFF TO YOUTUBE!), that REALLY old show Zoids (The original, not the crappy new one with the tournament and stuff like that), and that's about it. I might watch that Ergo Proxy thing mentioned in the OP along with Witch Hunter Robin if I can find it.

If you like Paranoia Agent, I would highly suggest you try out Satoshi Kon's film, Perfect Blue. He followed it up with Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, but Perfect Blue (and to a lesser extent Tokyo Godfathers) is similar to some of the themes being explored in Paranoia Agent. Witch Hunter Robin was a great show and I would heavily recommend Ergo Proxy since it's being written by the same guy, though the similarities end there; it's a very different show.

Watched the first four episodes of Ergo Proxy. It's painstakingly obvious who the second proxy is. But it is a good show. I'll check out those movies you recommended.
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2006, 02:55:10 pm »
Watched the first four episodes of Ergo Proxy. It's painstakingly obvious who the second proxy is.

I think you're supposed to know.

But it is a good show. I'll check out those movies you recommended.

Awesome. Let me know what you think. And if you like those, I might have some other recommendations for shows that aren't like everything else out there. :)

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2006, 04:51:57 pm »
Berserk - it is a superb anime with a strong, character-driven plot that never falters. Once you're into it, you will be glued to the sceen as the wonderful story unravels before you. It also doesn't hurt that it has some equally excellent actions scenes that serve their purpose very well.

General information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk_%28manga%29
Reviews: http://imdb.com/title/tt0318871/usercomments

Hajime no Ippo - This series is right up there with Berserk in terms of its story, characters, and action. Furthermore, the humor is beyond compare. You'll never laugh at another anime as much as you will with Hajime no Ippo.

General Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Spirit
Review: http://www.thespectrum.net/review_ippo.shtml

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2006, 05:41:00 pm »
Hajime no Ippo - This series is right up there with Berserk in terms of its story, characters, and action. Furthermore, the humor is beyond compare. You'll never laugh at another anime as much as you will with Hajime no Ippo.

What about Azumanga Daioh?

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2006, 08:40:29 pm »

Azumanga Daioh is awesome. But the humor it utilizes is pretty particular to it; in fact, I'd have a hard time finding another series that really matches it in terms of its comedic style. That's not to say it's the funniest anime series, just that it's unique among them.

I personally find FLCL to be about as funny as anything ever, but that could just be me. :)

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2006, 08:42:45 pm »

Azumanga Daioh is awesome. But the humor it utilizes is pretty particular to it; in fact, I'd have a hard time finding another series that really matches it in terms of its comedic style. That's not to say it's the funniest anime series, just that it's unique among them.

I personally find FLCL to be about as funny as anything ever, but that could just be me. :)

Fooly Cooly is more of an acid trip than anything else really, in my opinion.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2006, 08:46:04 pm »

Fooly Cooly is more of an acid trip than anything else really, in my opinion.

Oh, I agree. Doesn't change the fact that I've watched the entire thing dozens of times and still laugh all the way through.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2006, 03:17:52 am »
FLCL is best seen while very drunk and very high.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2006, 07:54:00 pm »
I will just spout off random stuff that I've seen:

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien = best drama ever made anywhere by anyone.
Onegai Teacher/Twins = funny, good to watch in succession as their strengths cover each others' weaknesses.
Hellsing (Ultimate) = 1000 times better than anime as it follows the manga, which is awesome.
School Rumble = Mostly conventional but utterly hilarious and ridiculous. Looking forward to the 3rd season of this more than most any other show.
Berserk = Awesome, manga is better though as it's more violent.
InitialD = Best soundtrack ever.
Ah!/Oh! My Goddess = Very conventional to the point that you can predict the plot of almost every episode just from the title, but then again the manga was started back in the 80s, so it's probably the origin of most of those conventions.
DragonBall/Z/GT = See Naruto.
Ichigo 100% = Derivative, conventional, etc. and has some quality problems creeping in at times. Not bad, not great either though.
Shuffle! = Episodes 1-13 are just fanservice and everything you'd expect from a series based on an h-game. 14-26 suddenly pull a 180 and turn into "wait wtf I didn't see this coming at ALL." Animation quality is really good except for the very last episode which seemed rushed.
Naruto = See DragonBall/Z/GT.

More recent stuff (this season):
Sumomomo Momomo = This will turn you into a pedophile. At least it's funny.
Bartender = Only seen the 1st episode, but it's strangely interesting.

I will type more stuff later, I suppose.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2006, 10:36:51 pm »
Full Metal Alchemist is possibly the only anime I have seen that I enjoyed completely.  Because it had such a dark storyline sometimes, great characters, and alchemy (which I think is awesome) amongst other great factors, I got hooked on it.  No other anime shows have done it for me.
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
Great Teacher Onizuka is the only anime I really collected.  I watched others of varying degrees of interest but GTO is still my favorite.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2006, 03:50:30 pm »
One time my friend made me watch anime. It had both a near naked samurai-girl and a robot turtle, yet it still sucked.

Japan, you amaze me so.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2006, 08:29:56 pm »
That was Love Hina, and that's why it sucked.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2006, 12:11:49 am »
That was Love Hina, and that's why it sucked.

To emphasize the point.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:06 pm »
One thing I really hate about anime on DVD is that they always sell those stupid "part 1 season 1, part 2 season 1" etc. things. They are really ****ing annoying since they all cost around the same as a normal half hour season of any other show, each. How ****ing stupid is that? So now I have to buy four different cases, overpriced, for a single season? Screw you!

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!