Author Topic: Consoles  (Read 3745 times)

Offline bumbyknuckles

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Consoles
« on: June 12, 2005, 07:56:22 am »
       well since no one has brought up the fact about steve saying that the xbox is losing so much money on its console and didnt let the facts out that just about, no let me rephrase that, all console lose money and all companies who create consoles lose money on the hardware. to say that xbox or microsoft loses money and sony or nintendo didnt is just silly. makes me wonder if a little bias is slipping into the show. 

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Consoles
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:55:02 am »
Yes but not 1.5 billion per year.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 09:07:31 am »
Xbox

Nintendo <-On page 28 is a breakdown of sales, console sales were 54,366 million yen last year.

PS2
Sony's game division saw operating revenue drop 6.5 percent to $6.82 billion. Operating income decreased about 36 percent to $407 million.

PS2 Linux

Microsoft was breaking into the industry with Xbox, and they were trying to be at the level of Sonsy and Nintendo, and they succeeded, but it cost them. That's no suprise to me. I don't sense any sort of bias from Steve, I'm pretty sure he owns all 3 consoles, and if anything he likes the GameCube more.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 06:56:32 am »
I am farily certain that both Sony and Nintendo make money on their consoles.  Heck, when the GC went to $99 the took out the component port to save money.  Sony had to be making money hand over fist seeing as their console was out first and was the last to drop its price.  I was amazed the other day going to local game stores that both the PS2 and Xbox are still at $149.99.  I thought I remembered them being at $129.99.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:54:59 am »
Wow I am getting a lot of feedback on this topic. I will talk about this a bit more in my next podcast, but basically what I was trying to say is that Microsoft isn't making money on the Xbox console or the Xbox division in general. I have to check but I believe that the Xbox division (consoles, games, everything Xbox) has made a profit in only one quarter since it started. And that is what I was getting at, that not many companies can continue to do business year after year losing millions of dollars on a single division ... except Microsoft that is.

Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo make a ton on their systems. Sony makes millions on the PS2 (consoles AND games) and Nintendo makes a ton on the GameBoy system (consoles and games). Again, I'll talk about this more in the next podcast to clear everything up.

And "for the record" I owe every system and actually really like the Xbox system quite a bit. When a game comes out on multiple platforms I almost always buy the Xbox version and I'll be buying my Xbox 360 on day one.

I am a gamer and I am looking for good games, I don't care about the system. A good game is a good game...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:59:02 am »
When you say
Quote from: Gaming Steve
I owe every system
are you including ones that are no longer made?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:02:59 am »
I own a ton of older systems, probably not every single one, but nearly so (Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Lynx, etc.)

Probably the rarest thing that I own is the Starpath Supercharger. Damn I loved that thing.

Offline bumbyknuckles

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 01:11:55 pm »
   well every systems loses money in the first few years of developement. cause the consoles are so expensive to make that they have to sell it at a lower price cause who would have bought a ps2 for like 600 bucks or a xbox at 600. im not sure how much nintendo lost on its system but they havent began to start making their money back on their gamecubes yet. but thats the buisness and if you need some help getting some figures up let me know. oh and i have been gaming since i was a child and i have just about every system every created and sold in the us. hows that for being a gaming fanatic.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 06:38:19 pm »
im not sure how much nintendo lost on its system but they havent began to start making their money back on their gamecubes yet.

According to their financial statements, they have.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 07:56:19 pm »
but thats the buisness and if you need some help getting some figures up let me know.

Sure, I'd love that. Make sure to include all years during the lifecycle of each console not just the most recent years with each quarter broken down. Thanks.