Author Topic: Questions for the Devs.  (Read 107528 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the Devs.
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2006, 06:37:17 pm »
Can you make plants carnivores like the Venus fly trap?

Can you make the plant life sentient?

Can a creature still move if it has just arms?

Could you make a worm creature without any of the “parts” (legs, eyes, ect;) and still have it function within the game? (Well, it would still have a mouth.)

Can you make Herbivores that eat leaves on trees (like a giraffe) instead of grass?  What about small shrubs instead of grass?

Can creatures have shells?

Welcome to the Forii  :)

Your plant questions are (at this point) a no. The no arms and worm one is as of yet unknown. As for the herbivores, they can eat fruit, and I'd say that's the next best thing, right? You can find a picture of the fruit in a prototyping slide if you dig around in the image archives. As for shells, if you go to Spore's website: www.spore.com then go to the a closer look section, there are some pictures. The one called Borsch with the two arms way above its head seems to have a shell.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2006, 01:12:01 am »
In both Sims games they had a picture option, i dont see why will wouldnt put one in
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline Phantasmo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2006, 06:35:34 am »
Thanks for the welcome. Fruit eating is cool. I didn't think of it and that should have been just an intuitive as harbivores eating leaves. Crazy me.

Offline cubed05

• Breakout Battler
  • I sold my hat to a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2006, 04:13:46 pm »
Will there be any kind of bugs in the game? As far as I know, most bugs aren't hamster size...

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2006, 11:52:01 am »
well, the ability to throw animals with the abducto beam is  a bug, its proof that some bugs are fun
Never mind your own business.

Offline cubed05

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2006, 03:20:49 pm »
Haha, I mean bugs as in insects.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 24, 2006, 01:43:29 pm »
I don't see why not. There are insect parts in the creature editor.

Offline kalcion

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • I am the key master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2006, 08:40:33 pm »
If we give our creatures an invisible texture will they be invisible to other AI controlled creatures?
So uh....what happens when your creature won't stop jumping off cliffs like crazed lemmings?

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2006, 09:12:57 am »
If we give our creatures an invisible texture will they be invisible to other AI controlled creatures?

What do you mean an invisible texture?  Not texturing them or one that actually makes them invisible?
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2006, 10:51:56 am »
Creature-tribe:
- Can you delete unwanted creatures that you encounter early in your game while you are playing like "I dont want to meet that creature ever again because its too strong, adult content, ugly, any reason" to get it replaced instantly ingame?
- Can creatures kick or stomp (other creatures)?
- Can creatures bite/cut off parts off each other and still stay alife, lose limbs in battle?
- Can creatures throw stuff around, throw rocks and spears?
- Will trees and grass burn?

City-Civ:
- Do streets in cities have any effect at all?
- Will there be streets outside of cities?
- What functions will buildings have, and what functions will not be implemented. Are there hospital, sport arena or power plant or just "temple, factory, storage, turrets"?
- How many cities fit on a planet, how many are there averagely?
- Does foraging and bombing change the planets appearance by adding dark holes?
- Is there a technology tree for buildings, items and vehicle parts or are they buyable nonlinear by level?

Planet Space:
- Can you make large walls,fences on a planet to keep it divided in subsections like simlife had walls?
- Do planets oceans have currents or wind?
- Will there be weather with rain, lightning, tornado?
- Are there different clima zones on one planet, warmer equator, passat winds.
- Can you conquer, dominate (and colonize) other solar systems planets (even if already inhibited) by own colinies and vehicles on them or just interact with other systems by one UFO?
- Will AI controlled species from other solar systems build colonies, even try to colonize my homeplanet?
- Can you blow up your homeworld without "losing"?

Offline kalcion

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • I am the key master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2006, 06:25:15 pm »

What do you mean an invisible texture?  Not texturing them or one that actually makes them invisible?
One that actually makes them invisible, just not texturing them means they are completely white.
So uh....what happens when your creature won't stop jumping off cliffs like crazed lemmings?

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2006, 04:04:06 am »
Just noticed that this images show buildings outside the city with yellow circles around them.
Looks like growing wheat.

http://i2.tinypic.com/xo075w.jpg

and

http://www.planetspore.co.uk/screengalleries/thums_may142006/image_23.html

and the building editor splits buildings in 4 categories: http://www.sporewiki.com/Statusbars#Building_Editor
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:43:18 pm by ollj »

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2006, 08:50:21 am »
Woa, you're right. I guess this confirms farms without a doubt.

Offline sporewars

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2006, 06:47:41 pm »
Questions for Devs...

1)  Will there be any "search" capabilities built into the game so I can specifically look for "particular" creatures I want to eradicate.  Would be kind of cool to do a "scan" of the "spore" universe to see where a particular friend's world is located so I could take my "ship" to "his" location, etc, etc.

2)  Will there be "mapping" technology built into the game.  Again, the ability to navigate one's universe in a orderly manner would make the game even that much better

3) Finding various creatures and worlds would get boring after awhile if it's all "random"...  To conquer one needs a "layout"....

4)  Is there "genetic" transference in this game.  If a "superior" creatures mates with another like creature, should not the result be the spawn of a creature that is "genetically" gifted.    Again, if you have "random" mating instead of players actively looking for superior mates, the game would get boring.

Offline cubed05

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2006, 06:55:20 pm »
Hmm farms...

Will plant life grow over time, and spread seeds?

Creature-tribe:
- Can you delete unwanted creatures that you encounter early in your game while you are playing like "I dont want to meet that creature ever again because its too strong, adult content, ugly, any reason" to get it replaced instantly ingame?
I don't think so. You can try killing off a species by hand. (Adult Content will be filtered too)

- Can creatures kick or stomp (other creatures)?
Don't see why not.

City-Civ:

- What functions will buildings have, and what functions will not be implemented. Are there hospital, sport arena or power plant or just "temple, factory, storage, turrets"?
From GDC 05, it showed Factory, Farm, Entertainment, and Housing for building types. (link)

Planet Space:

- Will there be weather with rain, lightning, tornado?
There will be weather. I'm not sure what though.