Author Topic: Questions for the Devs.  (Read 131087 times)

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the Devs.
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2005, 04:00:09 pm »
Yes, the grovebacks! :D

Also, aside from do we sleep, drink water, and some of the other good questions, will the other creatures around you evolve as well?

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2005, 06:25:38 pm »
There should be day and night cycles, in the demo you can see the planets moving around the sun... ;)

planets moving around the sun creates seasons, not day/night. the rotation of the planet is responsible for that.
true, but if I'm right, wasn't there a dark side to Will's main planet? Although whether this means day or night is uncertain, though having half a planet in constant darkness may be annoying...

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2005, 07:01:06 pm »
Well if you were in a weird enough situation where the planets year was shorter than its "day" then the day/night cycle would be driven by revolutions, not rotations.
Hooray for pointless arguments!

Anyway, I think the GDC demo was so far from complete that we can't really use it to say anything about day/night cycles.  IIRC, the dark side of the planet wasn't really dark, but from space the sunward side was really really shiny.  Day/night could be really cool though.  Jumping prey animals while they sleep, hunting with Predator heat vision...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2005, 07:00:55 am »
There should be day and night cycles, in the demo you can see the planets moving around the sun... ;)

planets moving around the sun creates seasons, not day/night. the rotation of the planet is responsible for that.
true, but if I'm right, wasn't there a dark side to Will's main planet? Although whether this means day or night is uncertain, though having half a planet in constant darkness may be annoying...

true, but it's possible. this has been brought up in another topic, i'm too tired and probably too lazy to point out where it was said, but look at our moon. it always has the same "Darkside", the same "face" always looks at us. so it's possible a planet might have that. But something in my head says that a planet needs to be rotaing in order to help keep an atmosphere, or something like that, so now i'm not so sure.... eh... sleep what's that?

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2005, 07:05:10 am »
Wouldnt have much to do with atmosphere, but the spin, I believe, is a side effect of the way planets are formed.

Stuff likes to spin in space.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2005, 07:48:24 am »
well i had some sort of half formed memory that nagged my mind about it. but the atmosphere does do some funky turbulence because of the rotation of our planet... wow i brought us off topic. sorry people. (not calling you all sorry people, just that i was apologizing...) ack i need sleep.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2005, 11:47:54 am »
if the planet were tidally locked (caused by tidal forces slowing it's rotation to be synchronized with it's orbit) the dark side would have no sunlight and be colder.  if a given area were below the freezing point of the primary gasses of the atmosphere, they would freeze in that area and the remaining gasses would rush in to fill the vacuum and also freeze.  fortunately, such an environment would probably have a convection system that moved air/ocean between the hot day side and the cold night side.  it's likely that the only habitable areas would be in the twilight zones.  primitive seafaring would be rather interesting.  the oceanic convection would cause the top layers of the sea to be always moving towards the night side, while the atmopheric convection would create a perpetual surface wind towards the mid-day hot region.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2005, 07:00:32 pm »
if the planet were tidally locked (caused by tidal forces slowing it's rotation to be synchronized with it's orbit) the dark side would have no sunlight and be colder. if a given area were below the freezing point of the primary gasses of the atmosphere, they would freeze in that area and the remaining gasses would rush in to fill the vacuum and also freeze. fortunately, such an environment would probably have a convection system that moved air/ocean between the hot day side and the cold night side. it's likely that the only habitable areas would be in the twilight zones. primitive seafaring would be rather interesting. the oceanic convection would cause the top layers of the sea to be always moving towards the night side, while the atmopheric convection would create a perpetual surface wind towards the mid-day hot region.

That depends greatly on the type of sun, and the planet's orbital distance. In "Extraterrestrial" there is a planet like this. It has a large ongoing storm in the center of the sun-pointing side, it is frozen in the dark half and the are between the dark side in the storm is a temperate zone, well suited for life.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2005, 07:06:08 am »
during the day that i was extremely tired, i was thinking about saying much the same as you, Oviraptor, but i couldn't think straight at the time, and after i read what i wrote, i decided against being flamed for the rest of my life.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2005, 07:52:42 am »
I have a question:  Will you be able to have your creature use other senses to process their environment?  Say instead of eyes, your creature can have heat sensors or echolocation or touch as the primary sense. ;D
Under construction

Offline noodles

• Pong Paddle
  • Hot Dogg
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2005, 11:01:46 pm »
Unknown.
It's mostly you who guides your creature until they can think on their own.
So....even if your guy COULD use echolocation, you would still be holding his hand.
PLANET ZEBETH FO LIFE

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2005, 03:54:58 pm »
Right, but his question was if your screen could display smells if you give your creature a giant nose, or if your screen would display vibrations if you gave it a great sense of touch.

The answer is still unknown, but doubtful. Be thankful for what you get.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline jafe816

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2005, 11:01:24 am »
Will there be solar systems that has two or more suns? Oh, and in the evolution stage, will you be able to hunt in packs? Or are you the only one of those species...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:20:48 am by jafe816 »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2005, 01:42:22 pm »
Will there be solar systems that has two or more suns?
If there aren't, then Maxis should hang its collective head in shame.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2006, 12:50:21 am »
Hehe, and if they dont add it, then Im sure somebody here will  ;D