Author Topic: Questions for the Devs.  (Read 113280 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the Devs.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2005, 10:19:33 am »
I think you mean helium. neon is heavier than nitrogen so it has to be heavier than air.

edit; oh bugger its N2 and neon is monatomic, sorry. your right
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2005, 07:12:44 pm »
Are you sure about the Oxygen?  Seems like it's also there to bind with Carbon and produce extra energy.  Although I suppose you could use an anaerobic metabolism to obviate the need for breathing while sacrificing efficiency.  About the Neon - it's a non-reactive gas, how are you going to absorb it?
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2005, 12:47:29 am »
By eating minerals that are full of trapped neon gas :D, so now weve got a light floating creature that has to eat vast amounts of rocks to keep itself afloat, I see a flaw in that right away. ::)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2005, 08:19:41 am »
Are you sure about the Oxygen? Seems like it's also there to bind with Carbon and produce extra energy. Although I suppose you could use an anaerobic metabolism to obviate the need for breathing while sacrificing efficiency.

I went researching what the body actually used oxygen for, and found this a while ago:

http://www.defrance.org/artman/publish/article_171.shtml

Our bodies can make a ton of energy - but it leaves behind lots of toxic hydrogen. If we can't get that out of us quick enough, we die. That's where the oxygen comes in. And TOO much oxygen causes problems, too. It is a poison, after all - it corrodes metals. We've just figured out how to utilize that to help ourselves.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2005, 08:24:09 am »
By eating minerals that are full of trapped neon gas :D, so now weve got a light floating creature that has to eat vast amounts of rocks to keep itself afloat, I see a flaw in that right away. ::)

Probably why it didn't happen here ;) Make a planet with very tall thin spires of stone that they can gnaw on, then efficiently spit out all the heavy stuff before they sink. Like corn cobs stuck in the ground, with balloon critters chewing and sinking along the side, then spitting/crapping and floating back up. Hardly seems worth it, but I suppose you could engineer a critter like that. Just doubtful anything would evolve it - too inefficient. Just not impossible.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 02:03:24 pm »
Wouldn't it just be easier to create a planet with a very dense atmophere allowing larger animals to fly? Not as exotic as neon gas filled rock eating creatures, but a whole lot simpler.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2005, 03:02:17 pm »
I can see it now..."Jimmy, how did it take you to get to school" Jimmy answeres "The wind was thirty miles per hour and it blew me all the way to school!"
"You and your silly dense atomosphere."
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2005, 03:30:40 pm »
Wouldn't it just be easier to create a planet with a very dense atmophere allowing larger animals to fly? Not as exotic as neon gas filled rock eating creatures, but a whole lot simpler.

What about the crushing burning death?
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Lord_Oberic

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Been waiting a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2005, 11:37:21 pm »
I don't remember if I asked this or not..
Can you have non-symmetrical creatures I.E. 1 large wing on one side, 2 smaller wings on the other. Or perhaps 4 skinny legs on one side of a creature, and 2 really crazy looking ones on the other? A sideways head, but the eyes face forwards.. Similar to a flounder, but on the neck of a humanoid creature.
I refuse to use the spell checker, except on the most grim of circumstances.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2005, 01:54:02 am »
we don't know.

there do seem to be creatures with radial symmetry, unless they're actually bilateral but with deliberately identical sections.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2005, 03:24:32 pm »
I think it would be mean of the developers to deprive us of asymmetrical creatures. the only case for it would be if the procedural engine wasnt good enough to figure it out, in which case the final game would be nowhere near as good as we all expect it to be.

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2005, 11:52:33 am »
The the OctoWill WW made for GS at E3 prob had radial symmetry, no?

Unless they hard-code it to prevent major asymetricallity, I'd be surprised if it weren't just as acessable as 3 legs. The big thing to kep in mind when concieving a creature right now shouldn't be "what can the game do?" since we obviously don't know and won't for some time. Instead, try to think of it from a real-world persepctive. A primate with 2 left arm and 3 right will do fine in the world so long as they're usefull, but a canine with 2 left legs and a tiny fish fin on the right side is going to have mobility problems.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:52 pm »
ha ha ha! that fish fin thing actually made me laugh! :D
Why's it called an octowill? Steve suggested it maybe it should be called an octosteve or a stevepholapod

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2005, 06:53:04 pm »
I have never seen a picture of this octowill, but I would hope it has radial symmetry.  What WW did was shorten the spine to one segment and then place all the legs on that segment. 

Thinking about legs, I wonder, I have never heard of or seen any creature with more than six legs and arms.  I wonder if there is some magical limit of six that they don't want to tell us about yet.  I hope we can have more than six arms.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2005, 06:55:02 pm »
Millipede?