Author Topic: The fire-bread "Duoos"  (Read 2277 times)

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
The fire-bread "Duoos"
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
O I remember the time before there was a seperate area for Spore creatures, and back in say.. august of 2005. Anyway, I finnaly got around to creating a creature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, first off, the picture!

The Name:

The Duoos is a Latin Derived  name, the "Duo" meaning two, and "os" meaning mouth. "Two-Mouth" or now known to us as the "Duoos."

Demensions:

Average Height: 4 feet, 5 inches.
Average Width, from tail to jaw: 4 feet, 6 inches.(May vary due to jaw length)
Jaw Size: 4 inches to over one foot.

Pack Style

- The Duoos can usually be found in packs of 5 to 7 males, and being lead by one Alpha-Male. The Alpha-Male is decided in a series of duels, where the challenger and the previous Alpha-Male fight until one gives up, or dies. The females are usually found together, in groups similar in size to the males, with the exception of no Alpha-Female. The Females are to guard their young until they too can join the hunting packs with their fathers. If the child is a female, they join the other adult females in raising the young.
-The males follow the alpha male to a target. They split up into pairs and surround the target, but they do not pounce. The Alpha-Male walks out alone to the target, getting it's attention. The Alpha-Male sprays a certain pheromone which is believed to anger the local prey into chasing the Alpha-Male. This pheromone is sprayed by the use of the two probes on the ends of the tails. The A-Male leads the prey usually towards where the females are holding the young. When the prey reaches the distance where the smallest young can safely come out and feed on the prize, the males jump out and slaughter the beast, allowing everyone a nice meal.
-If meat is not available,  the males will go out independently to gather plants for food, until a victim for the pack is located. They use their jaws to grab and hold the plants until they get back to the females and the children.
-Due to the hostility of the usual enviorment, the prey is often a single large beast, with it's own natural defenses to the heat and fire of the enviorment aswell as other beast.

Fire Hardened Skin:

- The Duoos' have an exsrtremly rugged outermost layer of skin. This layer, usualy hot red to a redish brown, is the result of fire-intensive pressure in the local enviorment. The skin itself is supported underneath by interlocking layers of skin, which create a network, in which, whem the skin is attempted to be grabbed and pulled in one direction, or ripped, the skin's layers lock up to keep it in place. The outer layer isself is exstremly rugged, fire-proof and can abosrb exstreme amounts of blunt, or precise pressure, all by reorginizing the interlocking skin layers to provide support, depending on the damage to be inflicted.

Everything Else:

-The Duoos is a four legged creature, living in volcanic and extremely hot environments. It has a rugged outer skin layer which is extremely resistant to fire and high pressure situations.
-The Duoos has two jaws that can operate independently from each others, are usually in sync when the creature is hunting. The creature's usual diet consist of anything that can survive in the same climate as itself, which includes other heat resistant creatures and plant life. The two jaws are extremely effective at crunching hard skinned surfaces by putting too much pressure on one portion of the skin, and not allowing said pressure to be distributed to other portions of the victim, thus cracking or shattering the victim’s hard skin.
-The two pouches on the ends of either tail are used to spray a pheromone. These pheromones can be used to attract mates, and the Duoos have been using it to ward off attacks from moving towards their young. 
-At this time, the Duoos are not a fully sentient life form.
-The Males have much longer jaws then the females, up to a foot long, versus a female's average half a foot.
-The two bottom eyes are used for normal, human-esq vision. The third eye is used to help the creature see different amounts of heat energy, as they live in exstremly hot enviorments.
- The jaws can each rotate away and towards each other. This allows the jaws to each bite one side of the item, say a leg. By rotating each jaw away from each other, then can crack the leg into two, or any other item which needs cracking. Like say... a giant peanut!
---------------------------------
Questions: Comment?: Anything to help for the next creature?

UPDATE: 5-6-06: Fire Hardened Skin:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:12:17 pm by OmniOck »

-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
Re: The fire-bread "Duoos"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:38:11 pm »
I guess these are none sapience?

Cute creature, I still didn't understand why evolutionary it needs two mouths.

I like the way you described their pack lives.

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 01:40:30 pm »
How silly of me! By giving each jaw to rotate away from each other, they can each hold one end of the same item. By rotating the jaw, they can rip the piece into two. Like cracking the item.
-----

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:34:43 pm »
How silly of me! By giving each jaw to rotate away from each other, they can each hold one end of the same item. By rotating the jaw, they can rip the piece into two. Like cracking the item.

Nice! For a long time I was searching for a good reason why a creature should have two mouthes. Very original

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:12:40 pm »
UPDATE: Skin Profile.
-----

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:02:16 am »
You know... I've seriously been wondering..
is "fire-bread" actually supposed to be "bread" as in the stuff you eat each morning? Like a joke? Or is it supposed to be "bred" as if it made in fire?