Author Topic: Advice on buying or building a PC or Laptop  (Read 115194 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Advice on buying or building a PC or Laptop
« Reply #840 on: January 25, 2016, 03:20:38 am »
I'm curious as to why the Windows Update Service needs to sit there idle but still take up 20% of my CPU.
Just gonna
disable that garbage.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 25, 2016, 04:38:03 am »
Gaph no!

your computer will be overrun with viruses!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #842 on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:30 am »
Oh yeah. I disable auto-update and whatnot.

Thing is dumb. Anything "auto" is dumb. Just alert me and I'll make the decision myself.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #843 on: June 30, 2016, 07:35:24 am »
Looks like AMD may have cheaped out in the wrong way with their new line of cards, exceeding the PCI-e energy consumption specification. A few people were saying if they'd just used a slightly more expensive connector, rather than opting for the cheap ones, the problem wouldn't have happened.

Tom's Hardware Results
German Tech Site Confirms Flaw
French Confirmation
GPU-Z Creator Confirms GPU is Source of Power Draw

Thing ends up pulling nearly the same amount of wattage as the Nvidia 1080 series, which is significantly more powerful.

But this AMD card. You need the "extreme" style motherboards because the damn thing sucks so much power that standard-style boards can't deliver enough power consistently to all the components. For a ****ing nice mid-tier card. Ugh... oh AMD what have you been doing lately? Nvidia is gonna kill you if you don't stop the bleeding soon.

Hey we should run them in Crossfire, then overclock them and see what happens! :3

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n3ZzWKXaU4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n3ZzWKXaU4</a>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:48:55 am by PatMan33 »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #844 on: August 02, 2016, 07:09:23 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXf8P8FLz9c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXf8P8FLz9c</a>

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #845 on: October 19, 2016, 12:01:49 am »
www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/18/13316750/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-price-release-date-amd

This is a pretty nifty series of card for anyone looking to do a inexpensive build. Looks nice! Nvidia are wrecking the place up, it seems.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:12 am »
Hey I'm having PC issues. My GPU usage is fairly workable when I first open up my computer, but eventually something will trip it up and it will start going into a spiral of constant spikes, freezing my computer for a split-second every few seconds.

I have an NVidia Geforce GTX 660.

Here's an image of it ripped from MSI Afterburner, where you can see a visual representation of what I mean. You can see the "normal" part of it functioning at the beginning, and then it starting to spike. Each one of those spikes represents a small freeze of maybe somewhere from an eighth to a quarter of a second.

I took my graphics card out and gave it a dust cleaning, which fixed the problem for about an hour and a half before it started up again.

I suspect this is just my graphics card aging and accumulating problems- at this point, it's a few years old. If it isn't, though, and somebody here recognizes this problem and has some sort of solution, I'd love to hear it.