Author Topic: Advice on buying or building a PC or Laptop  (Read 114101 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on buying or building a PC or Laptop
« Reply #510 on: April 03, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
I'm trying to decide on a monitor.   17" or 19", I don't mind.  I'll be keeping it at 1280x1024 so whatever's best for that for under 80.  Any ideas?  I'm awful with monitors I have no idea whatsoever what would be a good one to run things on 1280x1024.

Cheers.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:13 am »
a minor question, what would you expect a desktop with an intel core 2 quadcore processor, 4GB of DDR2 RAM a 500 GB hard Drive and an Nvidia GeForce 120Gt 1GB graphics card and Vista Home Premium to cost (in stirling)?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #512 on: April 03, 2009, 01:11:39 pm »
I'm trying to decide on a monitor.   17" or 19", I don't mind.  I'll be keeping it at 1280x1024 so whatever's best for that for under 80.  Any ideas?  I'm awful with monitors I have no idea whatsoever what would be a good one to run things on 1280x1024.

Cheers.

I've got a 19" widescreen myself and it looks fantastic and displays all of those resolutions just fine. I guess if you an afford it, go bigger.

a minor question, what would you expect a desktop with an intel core 2 quadcore processor, 4GB of DDR2 RAM a 500 GB hard Drive and an Nvidia GeForce 120Gt 1GB graphics card and Vista Home Premium to cost (in stirling)?

I can barely find any prices on that model of video card but let's see. It will definitely be more expensive than what we just built for Janos and that was about 520. He also didn't need an OS so that's gonna add another... 65 to the cost. Mt estimate would be somewhere around 650, though it could be higher.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:33 pm »
Well thats good because i know where i can get one for 480 :D

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 03, 2009, 01:21:34 pm »

Cheers.

I've got a 19" widescreen myself and it looks fantastic and displays all of those resolutions just fine. I guess if you an afford it, go bigger.

I can barely find any prices on that model of video card but let's see. It will definitely be more expensive than what we just built for Janos and that was about 520. He also didn't need an OS so that's gonna add another... 65 to the cost. Mt estimate would be somewhere around 650, though it could be higher.

I was going to go for this Samsung: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151386

And munchkin, I'd seriously just use your old XP OS and wait for Windows 7, or if you don't have a spare XP lying around then just buy XP Professional.  You can run things on 1gb less RAM (or think about it this way... you basically unlock another gig of your RAM which you paid good money for).  Vista is TERRIBLE in every respect, I hate it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #515 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
Janos... I want that monitor. NOW!!

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:36 pm »

Cheers.

I was going to go for this Samsung: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151386

And munchkin, I'd seriously just use your old XP OS and wait for Windows 7, or if you don't have a spare XP lying around then just buy XP Professional.  You can run things on 1gb less RAM (or think about it this way... you basically unlock another gig of your RAM which you paid good money for).  Vista is TERRIBLE in every respect, I hate it.

I'm running Vista now actually, and the one mentioned there is for a family P.C and they want Vista. Although there are problems with it, it's not so terrible to not be worth the low low price from argos extra.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
Janos... I want that monitor. NOW!!

=) Guess that means it should be good.  My reckoning was 19"=good, 1000:1=good, Samsung=generally good.

And Munchkin... that's fair enough.  And Vista isn't SO bad that if given to you on a deal or virtually free (like with my laptop), then it's bearable.  I still wouldn't choose it, mind.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2009, 07:32:55 am »
Gawd dammit, we've already had one problem with vista, the windows updater window won't open from the toolbar so you have to go all the way through the control pannel to get it. Fortuantely this is barely a problem and everything is running smooth.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #519 on: April 06, 2009, 05:02:02 am »
I went out shopping Saturday for a case and ended up finding all the other components I needed for less than I would've got them online. Got it all assembled now, just need a hard drive and an OS. It's a pretty sweet machine, too.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:17 am »
*shrug*

Were you planning on telling us what you got? :P

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2009, 02:28:43 pm »
Let me see if  I can remember off the top of my head.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 + a motherboard
GPU: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
Memory: 4G of 1066MHz DDR2 RAM
600W power supply + a very well-ventilated case

What I already have lying around:
500Gb hard drive
DVD-RW drive
monitor, I think it's 17"
Keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc., etc.

And I think I've made up my mind about an OS, I'll stick with XP until Windows 7 comes out. Maybe a few months after.

(Unless someone can convince me that there won't be performance issues. I also plan on getting the 32-bit version if I do get Vista.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:33:19 pm by Kishmond »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #522 on: April 06, 2009, 02:35:24 pm »
I'd definitely go for the 64 bit version. It's the future, man. I've never had a single problem with 64 bit.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #523 on: April 07, 2009, 04:34:55 pm »
Why are operating systems so ridiculously expensive?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #524 on: April 07, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »
You tell us, we don't know!