Author Topic: Destruction and Dieing Creatures  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Destruction and Dieing Creatures
« on: June 11, 2005, 07:47:51 pm »
I was just drawing up the design for my creature on paper and was thinking and this broght up a concern.

If anyones seen the movie on the offical Spore site. Well the tanks get zapped and decentrigrate and the city collapses into ruins.
In the GDC movie the creature the willosaraus killed to eat jsut fell over, and wasn't very visible do to its small size.

Well we weren't able to see a medium creature die, vechile, or a building in game(Will zoomed out on the planet when the tanks destroyed the building in his city.

What's bugging me is how vechiles, buildings, and creatures will die/get destroyed. With the person choosing the way their content looks, it may not be easy for the object to get destroyed.
I've never played a rts with custom content, but if u used mods it had to be programmed.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Destruction and Dieing Creatures
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 07:52:37 pm »
well the destruction in the game looked good,remeber the planet blowing up?Remember the spider creature that implodes? About the tiny creature will killed, yes it just fell down, but what is it supposed to do, explode?

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:40:26 pm »
well the destruction in the game looked good,remeber the planet blowing up?Remember the spider creature that implodes? About the tiny creature will killed, yes it just fell down, but what is it supposed to do, explode?

Hehe, reminds me of a couple of Simpsons episodes where they take the mickey out of how in movies things always seem to explode even when they don't need to. Homer making cereal and that bursting into flames when he added milk was funny (after all his other cooking attempts ended in flames).

Back to the subject at hand, Star Wars Galaxies has a similar problem where you destroy these creature lairs and they explode but 9 times out of 10 they are just made up of piles of leaves and don't have anything explosive in them. When the devs were confronted the reason given for it was that most players like to see things explode when they destroy them.

Obviously we don't want creature exploding all over the place but we do like to see nice visual effects of our destruction.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 11:06:06 pm »

Hehe, reminds me of a couple of Simpsons episodes where they take the mickey out of how in movies things always seem to explode even when they don't need to. Homer making cereal and that bursting into flames when he added milk was funny (after all his other cooking attempts ended in flames).

Back to the subject at hand, Star Wars Galaxies has a similar problem where you destroy these creature lairs and they explode but 9 times out of 10 they are just made up of piles of leaves and don't have anything explosive in them. When the devs were confronted the reason given for it was that most players like to see things explode when they destroy them.

Obviously we don't want creature exploding all over the place but we do like to see nice visual effects of our destruction.

Even though people like to see things explode. If 1 creature attacks another with a scythe and kills the creature then it's going to get a limp or head slices off at max, not explode.

The tanks I got designed on paper looks like a spider, but when it gets destroyed, I can see it exploding, but what if the parts on it just collapased, or a leg blows up and the rest of it tumbles down in a pile.

The exploding of the spider creature on the planet did look pretty real to a creature like that exploding.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 11:07:46 pm »
I can imagine creatures ragdolling in some fashion, it looked like that's what happened to the little critter to me. As for vehicles, maybe the editor is designed in such a way that as you edit the thing, the game figures out which parts will fall off when the thing is wrecked and does it that way.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 11:17:42 pm »
So procedural destruction! HorAh!  three cheers for the greatest toy of all time
remember all the times pushing over blocks as a kid? well now destroy anything your mind can create with realistic accuracy.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 11:20:44 pm »

Even though people like to see things explode. If 1 creature attacks another with a scythe and kills the creature then it's going to get a limp or head slices off at max, not explode.

The tanks I got designed on paper looks like a spider, but when it gets destroyed, I can see it exploding, but what if the parts on it just collapased, or a leg blows up and the rest of it tumbles down in a pile.

The exploding of the spider creature on the planet did look pretty real to a creature like that exploding.

Oh I realise that, I was just pointing out that sometimes due to player demand silly things get put into games. I am confident Will won't have exploding creatures redargless of how they meet their untimely end.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 11:42:24 pm »
Well, the creature placed on the airless moon 'exploded'. ;)

But, yeah, I guess it would anyway in space. So for those who like to see creatures explode, that would be the place to do it. I wouldn't want to see exploding creatures when they're eaten though -- just doesn't look natural.

It would appear that when the Willosaurus ate the creature, there was still some left. So, I guess any creature that eats it would be like a scavanger. Exploding creatures means no scavangers. :)