Author Topic: What if the DS didn't catch on?  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
What if the DS didn't catch on?
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:40:34 pm »
Well?  What if the DS didn't catch on and the PSP won the handheld war?  Would we be looking at a handheld market filled with console ports?  Would the Wii have the new control scheme?  It's not impossible to imagine this situation, before the release of both, everyone predicted that the PSP would indeed win.

Discuss.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: What if the DS didn't catch on?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:09:21 am »
Why would it be filled with ports? The DS has a lot of ports to, but most of them are god awful so they are ignored.

I don't really think the PSP would have sold a hole lot more then it has now. Obviously it would have sold a little more, since there wouldn't be any "direct" competition left. The reason the PSP hasn't overtaken the DS yet, at least in my opinion, is that the DS has a had a really solid year while the PSP has had a lot of dry periodes where no good games have come out. This seems to be changing but, probably is to late because the DS owns Japan, and I doubt the PSP can ever the first place, in Japan anyway.

Nintendo would probably sell a lot more units of Gameboy Micros to.

Also, I need a spellchecker.

Edit: Added and deleted some things that weren't right or I forgot.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 10:12:35 am by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 07:23:33 am »
Regain the first? It never had the first. DS has been reaming it from day one - PSP just can't catch up.

But if the DS didn't catch on, we'd all be playing Gameboy Micros.  Nintendo don't give up half of the videogames industry so easily.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 10:13:33 am »
Regain the first? It never had the first. DS has been reaming it from day one - PSP just can't catch up.

But if the DS didn't catch on, we'd all be playing Gameboy Micros.  Nintendo don't give up half of the videogames industry so easily.

That was me being stupid, yet again. I have deleted it.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 01:57:15 pm »
Why would it be filled with ports? The DS has a lot of ports to, but most of them are god awful so they are ignored.

I'll let IGN answer that question:

"My biggest issue with the PSP is that, really, it's just a shrunk down current-generation console. In theory this sounds great, since you can take PS2-quality games on the go. But the problem here is going to be simply one thing: expectations. Budgets for PlayStation 2 game development encroaches and many times exceeds the million-dollar pricetag. And the GBA market has proven that US consumers aren't willing to pay a premium for portable games over console titles. But with the system's capabilities being so darn close to a PlayStation 2, gamers will expect a similar experience. So, Sony will have to set a MSRP at less than what an average PS2 game goes for. And that will cut into the profit structure of the publishers and developers, which means budgets to make these games will have to be sliced as well. It's a sticky situation that's currently a big question mark…will developers and publishers embrace the system even if it's not nearly as profitable to support as the Nintendo DS…or even the Game Boy Advance.

Which boils down to the real problem: because the budgets will most likely be reduced on the PSP developments, developers may resort to the logical conclusion: porting is the cheapest way to get games on the platform. And while it's great to get your favorite console games on the handheld (Nintendo's made a bundle on SNES and NES ports and emulations), originality is a lot more appealing, and it's currently unclear how many original IPs the PlayStation Portable will have. And that will affect just how large its following will be."

Keep in mind this was written before both systems were released, but it still holds true.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:40:29 am »
I'm with Cool AN. If the DS had failed, or simply never existed at all, the GBA would still have ripped PSP apart.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:50:47 pm »
I'm with Cool AN. If the DS had failed, or simply never existed at all, the GBA would still have ripped PSP apart.

Very true. Nintendo was pushing away at their E3 2004 press conference that before the PSP sells one unit, over 24 milion people will already own a GBA.

I know I would take GBA over PSP anyday.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:34 am »

Very true. Nintendo was pushing away at their E3 2004 press conference that before the PSP sells one unit, over 24 milion people will already own a GBA.

I need to look at the latest figures, but I think I recall that GBA is still outselling the PSP in Japan.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 09:01:04 pm »

I need to look at the latest figures, but I think I recall that GBA is still outselling the PSP in Japan.

I know that the PSP is selling faster than the GBA right now, but the GBA has sold more total units so far.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 09:56:22 am »

I know that the PSP is selling faster than the GBA right now, but the GBA has sold more total units so far.

Yeah but it has also been out a lot more years and is a lot cheaper, so that is only natural.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:19 am »

The PSP will never sell more than the GBA did. It's questionable whether the DS will even catch up to it. What is remarkable though is that the DS, if it continues selling at the pace that it is, will have sold more units than the PS2 within another year. THAT ... is insane.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:00:25 pm »

The PSP will never sell more than the GBA did. It's questionable whether the DS will even catch up to it. What is remarkable though is that the DS, if it continues selling at the pace that it is, will have sold more units than the PS2 within another year. THAT ... is insane.

I didn't say it was gonna sell more then the GBA.

But yeah that is crazy, there aren't gonna be any more Japanese people to sell it to.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »

I didn't say it was gonna sell more then the GBA.

But yeah that is crazy, there aren't gonna be any more Japanese people to sell it to.

All Nintendo has to do once everyone in Japan ones a DS is release a new color of it. Seriously: They will buy a new color of it without hesitation. I personally think the DS has a strong chance of beating out the GBA line in unit sales, but I'm hesitating to say that outright since the GBA was just insanely popular.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 04:40:01 pm »
Quote from: PHI-1618

I think that the DS could beat the GBA total sales eventually. It hasn't yet, and it wouldn't for a while, but the DS is flying off of shelves everywhere, and the PSP is really having no effect on the unit's success. Given the proper amount of time, and that Nintendo doesn't release the successor to the DS anytime soon, it is possible, though it is quite a battle, considering the GBA sold about 75 million units.

Also, the DS won't have sold nearly as many units as the PS2 within a year. The DS so far has sold a little more than 22 million units so far, while the PS2 has sold over 103 million units.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:38:57 pm »
Quote from: PHI-1618

I think that the DS could beat the GBA total sales eventually. It hasn't yet, and it wouldn't for a while, but the DS is flying off of shelves everywhere, and the PSP is really having no effect on the unit's success. Given the proper amount of time, and that Nintendo doesn't release the successor to the DS anytime soon, it is possible, though it is quite a battle, considering the GBA sold about 75 million units.

Also, the DS won't have sold nearly as many units as the PS2 within a year. The DS so far has sold a little more than 22 million units so far, while the PS2 has sold over 103 million units.

Oh, apologies: I should have specified. I meant in Japan. The DS is paced to outsell the PS2 in total Japanese sales within the next year. Sony has shipped -- I hate how they measure it like that -- 23.5 million PS2s in Japan from its launch to June 30th of this year. The biggest deficit in the system outselling the PS2 worldwide in a short time is that it's still getting its legs under it overseas. But it's pulling away from the PSP in the States since the DS Lite launched, and 3rd parties like EA are shifting the majority of their handheld production for 2007 to the DS. 2007 is going to be a huge year for the DS in terms of 3rd party support, at which time I could see its sales average in the States and Europe get a healthy bump.