Author Topic: Asimov  (Read 3525 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Asimov
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:03:34 pm »
Imagine my surprise when a search for "Asimov" only turned up four topics, none to do with the man himself (and his books, of course).

Back on topic, what were your favorite books by him, or just the most thought provoking? Feel free to discuss.

To start off with, my favorite little book was a story called "The End of Eternity" It has the best last line of a book ever. **Spoilers**And such was the end of eternity, and the beginning of infinity.**End** I don't know why I like it so much, but it makes much more sense if you read the book.

Of course, I read I, Robot, and Nemesis, which was particularly interesting. Probably the more far-out of his stories, where a [spoilers]rogue space colony goes to a hidden solar system and a special girl communictes through telepathically linked cellular organisms that originally resided on the sole planet.

Offline Tylui

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Asimov
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:04:17 pm »
I really have been meaning to read SOMETHING by him.  But alas, I haven't.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:30:10 pm »
I always enjoyed his Norby the robot series. Of course, I'm all grown up now, and would feel weird picking them up at the library, but hey, happy memories.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:31:55 pm by Behumat »

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:53:27 am »
I really liked the Foundation series, although I don't think I've read all of the books yet. I've been thinking of starting to read some of his other books, like the ones that inspired "I, Robot" (the movie), for example.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 07:51:39 am »
Unfortunately the only series I have read is the Foundation series which was really great but I can't find any of his other books. How that is possible I don't know.

I really hope I can find some of his others, preferably in English but I will take anything I can.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 08:04:34 am »
The only books of his that I've easily enjoyed were the Black Widowers stories. Those are awesome. The rest, even the Foundation series, I found interesting but his writing on them really didn't do anything for me. I've read some of his non-fiction books though and they were very good as well.

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 02:13:26 pm »
I started reading the foundation series some months ago, I'm on the third book now. And I really like them.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 08:48:44 am »
I was rather disappointed by Foundation's Edge but you should probably still read it.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
For someone who hasn't read his stuff before, what would be good to read first?  I wanted to buy "I, Robot" this summer, but the only copies they had at the bookstores I checked had Will Smith on the cover, and I know enough about the book to know the story has next to nothing to do with the movie.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:07:20 am »
For someone who hasn't read his stuff before, what would be good to read first? I wanted to buy "I, Robot" this summer, but the only copies they had at the bookstores I checked had Will Smith on the cover, and I know enough about the book to know the story has next to nothing to do with the movie.

I prefer his mystery stories in The Black Widowers. There's a collection of short stories with those.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 05:22:43 pm »
I'm reading The stars, Like Dust. Started just the other day.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 12:29:09 pm »
Nightfall is really good. The idea itself is so intruiging. Foundation was good as well, and certainly very infulential, but it's too long and old(as in atomic hoovers) for me to manage to re-read.