Author Topic: Like The Beatles said, just let it be (Discussion about Darwin Pond)  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Credendo

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Ok first of all I want to point those of you who haven't checked out Darwin Pond to http://www.ventrella.com/Darwin/darwin.html Similar in style to gene pool, as it was written by the same guy, but has more game features rather than just pure sim. For instance the conditions of the world, and genetic makeup of the biots is all modifiable.

Now the real fun part of Darwin pond as others have observed with gene pool is that you can sit the sim to run for days on end and watch the changes the creatures, however an added feature in Darwin Pond is the addition of a "movie" where you can playback a time elapsed video of everything that's happened. Getting to come back to the game 2 days later and see how that species that was solid red for the first day, suddenly became a green species.

Will has said that they would like to "try" procedural evolution in Spore, and I think he should look at these two games as a general concept for his evolution system in Spore. Neural nets and fuzzy logic systems used in Darwin Pond and gene pool are common place and would seem to be easy to implement in a system like spore where everythin is procedural. I would love to be able to leave spore running for a weekend and comeback to see what kind of creature has survived, how my creatures are handling them, what changes have been made to my creatures as they have evolved.

I personally love having a time elapsed movie to review and really watch how things grow. A few people have commented that they would like to be able to document their stories, one cool way would be to do a time elapsed video like you see on tv, with maybe the ability to "slow time" to capture a few key moments...

I dunno I just want to be able to go back and watch my creatures actually go from goo to god

<tag0y> A UNIX saleslady, Lenore,
<tag0y> Enjoys work, but she likes the beach more.
<tag0y> She found a good way
<tag0y> To combine work and play:
<tag0y> She sells C shells by the seashore.

taken from bash.org because I can

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Re: Like The Beatles said, just let it be (Discussion about Darwin Pond)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:39:13 am »
nice thing about darwin pond is that you can modify the creatures.

i like to make fast creatures by modifing the pond to give less energy over larger ammounts of time forcing survival of the fittest.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Credendo

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 12:24:48 pm »
Yeah I have been running a sim for about a week now, I've narrowed about ten different sims that I kept running on multiple machines to two of my favorites, one looks like a swimming nazi symbol, and the other has a weird forward swimming thing. I keep looking for a place to run my biots against others to see how they fair but there doesn't seem to be any sort of community site for the game :-(

On that note I can run a tornament for anyone who wants to post there biots and post the resulting videos (I have a screen cap video maker I use)
<tag0y> A UNIX saleslady, Lenore,
<tag0y> Enjoys work, but she likes the beach more.
<tag0y> She found a good way
<tag0y> To combine work and play:
<tag0y> She sells C shells by the seashore.

taken from bash.org because I can

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 12:32:06 pm »
Post pictures! I don't really care about competing, I like the customizabilty of Darwin Pond, but the creatures just aren't as cool (in my opinion).

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 12:40:02 pm »
if the best parts of gene pool and darwin pond were combined, it would be a great game
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.