Author Topic: Release date of demo?  (Read 14159 times)

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Release date of demo?
« on: June 11, 2005, 03:08:14 am »
A game as cool as this is going to have a demo. I'm sure of it. I just need to know when. I mean, the GDC build looked fairly well-done (at least, by demo standards). Even if we just had a peek at the custumization tools, and not actual gameplay, I would be overjoyed!

Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: Release date of demo?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 05:45:27 am »
I had been thinking of a possible demo for this game too, but when I reflected on all the other Maxis games of the last few years, such as Simcity 3000, The Sims, Simcity 4 and the Sims 2, none of those games had demos.. Therefore I highly doubt that this game will have a demo.. I think they'll leave it up to the screenshots, the videos and the no doubt overwhelmingly positive reviews to let people decide to buy this game..

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:53:32 am »
Yes, but if this army of rabid fans goes insane, its that many less people to buy the game... We need satitation!  :P

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 08:13:55 am »
It's too early for all of that. Expect a demo (if there is one) next year.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline tywintersuk

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 11:53:18 am »
Sims 2, none of those games had demos

Sims 2 didn't have a demo but you could download their skin creator tool The Bodyshop a few months before the game. Maybe they'll do that with Spore.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 01:54:37 pm »
Sims 2, none of those games had demos

Sims 2 didn't have a demo but you could download their skin creator tool The Bodyshop a few months before the game. Maybe they'll do that with Spore.

Yeap, I didn't get it though because of my dial-up.

Anyways I think Spore might release a creature editor for it's demo(i'll defientaly get that).

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 02:18:35 pm »
I don't think Spore will have a demo.  Every other game maxis has done was without a demo...  Though I do think they'll release the creature editor early. 

Offline Xac

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 02:24:02 pm »
I don't think they will either.  :-[ 
Because Will said that he wanted the editor to be like Kid Pix. Where you do something that you might not like, but it still has neat side effects. If they were to release the editor as a demo, then people would be good at it at release and would not be making neat mistakes.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 03:40:40 pm »
I think Spore has the potential to have a Demo, and if it does have a Demo, it wont be anytime soon

Rather than a Demo, I'm hoping there'll be something similar to the Sims 2 Bodyshop like thing where you can make a creature, and import it into the game at some stage
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 07:42:08 pm »
Well we're talking about if they would release the editor in another topic. But I don't know if they would release the full editor thats with the game. Maybe they would release something like the plant editor because normally in the game you have to edit the plants from the UFO stage so you can't have your own plants going through the other stages so that would be neat if they gave it to us before the game.

Offline apresthus

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Hmm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 11:17:01 pm »
Given the history of Maxis/Will Wright games I'm almost certain that there will be no demo. :(
We will just have to wait...
-Alex

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 07:28:29 am »
Given the history of Maxis/Will Wright games I'm almost certain that there will be no demo. :(

They HAVE released an editor early though, a la Sims 2. As well, if they're filling the vanilla disks with tens of thousnds of creatures, it'd be nice if they let some fans create some of them before hand... eh?

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 07:40:09 am »
Its funny because thousands of creatures is only taking up like 20Mb os space.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 07:42:41 am »
Its funny because thousands of creatures is only taking up like 20Mb os space.

What do you mean? I don't think they'll have 20,000 creatures, although they could. 10,000 seems like enough to me.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 07:46:41 am »
Well I don't think they will ALL be 1kb. Plus, the way clusters work, they might be bigger than they should because of the way your disk is formatted.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 07:48:27 am »
And vanilla buildings, vehicles, and ufo's.

Offline apresthus

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Hmm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 09:13:13 am »

They HAVE released an editor early though, a la Sims 2. As well, if they're filling the vanilla disks with tens of thousnds of creatures, it'd be nice if they let some fans create some of them before hand... eh?

yes it would! :p
-Alex

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 06:16:19 pm »
I would LOVE to have access to the creature editor before hand. Heck they could even hold a contest for creatures to be included on the disk! ;) Okay sure, if ya have internet it's not a big deal, but it'd still be neat to be the crazy sick mind behind one of the pre-loaded species.  ;D

However, that's probably one of the biggest chunks of disk size in this game, since of course none of the UI is procedural based. Still probably only a couple hundred megs tops, but still.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 10:36:11 pm »
Oh, I have no doubt that if there's going to be an editor, there's inevitably going to be a creation contest. Maybe not official, but there's no doubt that at least one gaming site will host one. Eh? Eh? And maybe the winner wins a copy of Spore when it comes out! Eh? Eh?
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 10:57:07 am »
I would LOVE to have access to the creature editor before hand. Heck they could even hold a contest for creatures to be included on the disk! ;) Okay sure, if ya have internet it's not a big deal, but it'd still be neat to be the crazy sick mind behind one of the pre-loaded species.  ;D

However, that's probably one of the biggest chunks of disk size in this game, since of course none of the UI is procedural based. Still probably only a couple hundred megs tops, but still.

I totally agree. A creature editor would be great ;D The contest idea sounds very nice too. It'd do a great deal by getting alot of publicity. But I doubt it'll happen soon, EA seem quite hush hush about Spore really
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline kthx

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 12:46:25 pm »
I'm not necessarily sure the creature editor can be taken from the game so easily. With Bodyshop all they had to do was package some skins as templates, a couple animations and a whole lot of hype and call it good. For the Spore editor I'd imagine they'd need the underpinnings of the procedural system, which is probably a lot of data.
kthxbye

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 02:22:10 pm »
I'm flip-flopping in my mind if it would be worth getting the creature editor ahead of time if you only got to build them but couldn't see them walk...

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 02:52:15 pm »
The reason I don't think they will have a creature editor demo is because unless they started in microbial, they would have to skip the first part of the game. In the Sim2 that is the first part of the game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:54:21 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 03:06:21 pm »
The reason I don't think they will have a creature editor demo is because unless they started in microbial, they would have to skip the first part of the game. In the Sim2 that is the first part of the game.

Yeah, I wonder what happens to jets and spikes and flagella when they become 3d - how do those parts transfer to the new editor...

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 12:45:10 am »
It's always 3d my friend, just the view is 2d.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 04:43:46 am »
It's always 3d my friend, just the view is 2d.

Yes, but... can you have a giant creature with flagella, or do they become tentacles? If you can have a piercing probiscus as a big critter, does that mean you can still make giant parasites or liquivores?

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 10:48:45 am »
No parasites afaik, you have to either eat plants, animals or both. Also the creature editor's parts changes as you reach diferent stages of evolution, and your design should evolve accordingly. What might have been a spike can turn into a fin, and propulsion could form a tail. etc., etc..

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 08:29:05 pm »
Squid have water jets and I'm pretty sure they have more than one cell.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 02:53:33 pm »
A demo would be so stupid.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 06:26:50 pm »
A demo would be so stupid.

Even a demo of the editor, a la the  early release of sims 2's bodyshop?!  :-\

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2005, 08:44:17 pm »
Yes.

From a marketing stand point it be great, from a design standpoint.. not so much. First there is the problem of the underlying code. With Sims 2 it was easy for the reasons listed already... It was simple, the code was revolutionary, it was the first part of the game. Spore is an ENTIRELY different beast. You have to take into account that alot of the game is designed to be like nothing (and everything) else. The editor is a completely new beast all together (the Sims 2 Editor was an advanced Sims 1 Editor.. nothing completely groundbreaking) and it's also dependant on the underlying code... if you release the underlying code you have the risk of being ripped off... if everything is procedural... What's good for Marketing is not always what's best for the game.

Spore is NOT like Sims 2 because I am actually LOOKING FORWARD to Spore... I loathe the Sim games.. and I own most of them.. so it's my right to loathe them (they are a good way to kill time and mostly my brother and mom played them).
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2005, 09:30:14 pm »
In a way, I hope they don't release a demo unless the demo is fully functional and operational. If they cut down on things like creature part choices, casual gamers trying it out might not realize the full potential of the engine and label it as some far distant sequil to E.V.O or something.

Sinc you don't get a second chance at making first impressions, I'd rather the full game be the first hands-on experiance the world gets.

My rationale behind this is that the more people involved, the richer the online database.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 10:19:31 pm »
Demo of the editor...well that's practically the main reason everybody wants this game so bad.  Plus it would spoil the game.  The concept of the editor is to save points to buy cool parts, it's dependant of the game.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2005, 11:38:08 pm »
Thats what I said before. Some people would just get the demo and say, "I don't even need the game now."

casual gamers trying it out might not realize the full potential of the engine and label it as some far distant sequil to E.V.O or something.

Casual gamers don't know what E.V.O is.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2005, 11:51:49 pm »
Same for Cubivore.

But I believe everyone gets the point by now... as much as we all want a demo... it's not a good idea and isn't very plausible.. however I bet that they'll probably be "open beta testing" in order to populate User Creations and to fully test their servers and it's also possible that the media sections of most game news sites will be filled with info before release... this is one of those games that they have to market through content since the premise is entirely human controlled.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 11:17:56 am »
Same for Cubivore.

But I believe everyone gets the point by now... as much as we all want a demo... it's not a good idea and isn't very plausible.. however I bet that they'll probably be "open beta testing" in order to populate User Creations and to fully test their servers and it's also possible that the media sections of most game news sites will be filled with info before release... this is one of those games that they have to market through content since the premise is entirely human controlled.

Hmm... at the very least.. I would like to see this. :D

Offline ripperrim

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 02:27:27 am »
they might have the game playable at the next E3 because by then the main parts should be done and its just beta testing and minor things left

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 12:35:14 pm »
Yeah by then they should be getting the pre-release limited creature editor ready for the public.

They will probably do that because Will says in another video that he likes giving the public content creation tools before releasing games to have an established community when the games out. In this case it would probably to be to fill out the disks database.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 12:44:53 pm »
Yeah by then they should be getting the pre-release limited creature editor ready for the public.

They will probably do that because Will says in another video that he likes giving the public content creation tools before releasing games to have an established community when the games out. In this case it would probably to be to fill out the disks database.

My guess is, if they do release an editor, and I don't think they will, that they would just either limit you to microscopic and/or limit the number of generations you can do. I doubt there would be an advanced creature editor because that would skip to much of the game. The only way I can see them releasing that is via a beta.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 01:11:53 pm »
Yeah, but Will Wright did say he likes doing that.

I bet it would only allow you to make things people wouldn't normally wan't to make, like little non-meat eaters like the hoppers in the GDC demo or the gelly-fish like things he swims up too. Maybe plants too since I don't think there will be alot of plants initially since you don't get that editor untill later in the game.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 01:28:33 pm »
since all content represents hours of work the smart thing to do would be to release the editor and make the content made pre-release available in the final game.

incidently, i wonder if we will need a maxis account for spore
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2005, 01:39:43 pm »
since all content represents hours of work the smart thing to do would be to release the editor and make the content made pre-release available in the final game.

incidently, i wonder if we will need a maxis account for spore

If you remember correctly, Will himself said that computer created creatures would be very easy to implement, and it wouldn't take any time at all for a computer to create them.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2005, 01:45:23 pm »
I would be the first to say proceduraly evolved/ computer generated creatures would be great but,....
I want to mess around with the editor!

interesting, could the computer generate varisations on your creature?
or generate a preditor for one creature with the prey of that creature as an ancestor?

how would a computer make convincing buildings, tools, etc...

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 01:46:51 pm »
Yeah they would probably look like random things put together.

I think that the computer would be used to slightly modify creatures pulled off the net to make them more suit your planet.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2005, 01:51:35 pm »
if the computer didnt have to display a whole world then it could simulate variations on a proceduraly evolved creature untill it met certain goals.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2005, 01:52:38 pm »
Computer builings would not be as hard as you think. It would just have to follow a set of predetermined rules.

As for the creatures, it would probably be set to make creatures to maximize a certain skill set or mutiple ones. Then it would just make a bunch of things that are better at that then th other ones.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2005, 02:01:55 pm »
Reminds me of the Galapagos islands Darwin went to, he saw a whole ecology with specialized birds descended from the same ancestor.

Since will is focused on balanced ecologies a  mutation generator is a great idea.
Then you can have variations on a species all around your world, that’s more like how the real world works.
I can’t wait to see polar bear and black bear, variations to my pet animal.