Author Topic: Flying Creatures  (Read 6724 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Flying Creatures
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 06:16:54 am »
Topic merged with previous topic. Try to be nice, repeat questions are bound to come up.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 09:52:48 am »
Try to be nice
But elitist newbie-bashing is fun!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:05:03 am by gbCerberus »
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:37 pm »
Try to be nice

Exactly. And it is the only thing little kiddies and their suppressed self esteem have that makes them feel important and smart. For a change...

[Image Removed]

This had to be said.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:02:53 pm by Oviraptor »
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 03:05:52 pm »
Try to be nice

Exactly. And it is the only thing little kiddies and their suppressed self esteem have that makes them feel important and smart. For a change...

[Image Removed]

This had to be said.

Please don't use that kind of language in a post, even if it is in an image.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 06:19:55 pm »
*sigh* <enters generic response mode>

Flying creatures will most likely not be cut. GamingSteve himself created a flying creature with the creature editor and he noted that it hovered around. Other people and the figurines have included wings. This points to the fact that flying parts will be included in the game, because the parts or fully functional. It would not be a drastic change from land, as underwater would be.

Flying creatures are in.

Really, in terms of game design flying creatures are almost the same as water creatures. If they don't have the time to do underwater creatures, I can't see how they have the time to do flying creatures. It's the third axis that is the big difference.

I realized that, but GamingSteve said "It just kind of hovered around from place to place" (paraphrased, of course) So if your creature just hovers around at a fixed level, that eliminates the need for a third axis.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 09:48:50 pm »
Movement in water was already figured out and programmed for long ago as we have seen via video. I won't risk adding fuel to the old arguement, but nobody is arguing against the existence and feasability of swimming. Flying is essentially the same thing... just with a few animations and factors tweaked. And all creatures having a rather fast descent if they stop flapping.

My guess is that the hovering is just a filler until other forms of flight are cooked up. Now hovering will still probably be an option for many wingtypes and I suspect that there is a key or mouse command to alter altitude... but thats about as far as logic takes us.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 09:53:42 pm »
It could be a balance issue? A flying creature could attack land creatures but it would be difficult for land creatures to attack air. Could be a factor, then again maybe not
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 10:08:16 pm »
Balance? Nah. A flying predator is going to, by definition, be lightweight and fragile. Basically all birds of prey rely on ambushing prey much smaller than they are and killing it with the first blow. One good knock will break an eagle's wingbones and then the thing may as well be dead.

Spore could probably bend that rule a bit... but you won't have anything in the air carrying off waterbuffalo or anything of the like. Mice, rabbits, small monkeys, fish, carrion. Some extremely rare types, like the giant eagle that we killed off in New Zealand in prehistory, could take small children. Didn't help them very much, did it?

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 11:58:03 pm »
NZ doesnt have any natural predators. If ya talking about the Moa i dont think thats a carnivore.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 02:33:57 am »
it says prehistory...prehistory is the major clue in what was said. A Giant Eagle did exist in New Zealand, it was the top predator in the food chain, but likely became extinct by the 15th Century due to the effects of humans having settled on New Zealand and killing most of it's prey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/3044.shtml

Randomly I have to lol about all this assumed realism in the game considering how unrealistic everything we've been shown about the game is.

"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.