Author Topic: Doctor Who - The Regeneration Game  (Read 123666 times)

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who - The case of the sonic glasses
« Reply #1020 on: December 06, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

Oh boy! New merchandise just in time for Christmas!

I saw on Reddit a suggestion the parts on Gallifrey was merely setting up for the future - at the ends of the universe, possibly ruled by the military and the Sisterhood of Karn, with Rassilon (a much cheaper Rassilon, I'll bet) and the High Council brooding in their TARDIS.

They're back, but the Doctor only used them to get to Clara this time around. Who knows what they have in store for him in the future?

Since Moffat taking over, every time there's been underwhelming dumb**** there's always some people suggesting that it's alright because it's only set up for some Super Cool story arc later.
Then the story arc will be underwhelming dumb**** that has hardly anything to do with the dumb**** that was an alleged set up for it.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:33 pm »
I like the new screwdriver.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:41 am »
A year later...

I'm enjoying this new series so far.

The Pilot introduced a Doctor/Companion relationship that we haven't seen in a while. I was worried when it was announced that Bill was gay that it was the only way Moffat could make sure his female characters don't fall in love with his main characters is to turn them off the entire sex. But it's actually pretty fun, in a way we haven't seen since Donna, I don't think. I think Bill and Heather's relationship (and Heather's character all-around) could have been more developed, but a strong start to the season.

Smile was good up until another human being appeared. The Doctor and Bill walking around a ghost town, trying to figure out what happened while being chased by slow robots, then a ticking clock because the colonists are about to wake up and it will be a massacre. Instead, the Doctor went "Ah, f' it, let's leave the humans at the mercy of a bunch of robots they can't communicate with". Still a million times better than In The Forest Of The Night.

Thin Ice did something to fix a problem that was really bad in Matt Smith's last season in particular. It breathed. We saw Bill and the Doctor have fun instead of running straight into the plot. The fun continued through the rest of the episode, with a lot of echos of The Unquiet Dead, Rose's introduction to the past. Bill asked the right questions and I think we got the right answers. We saw the Doctor's own brand of kindness, and I like it when we're reminded that the Doctor isn't human.

Knock, Knock was a creepy, creepy episode. David Suchet is a wonderful actor, and the design on the house was great. It subverted the horror trope of the victims being arseholes and deserving their fate. They were just normal students, none of them being the stereotype (which I know exist), with their weird interests. Though again, they could be more developed. Dunno why any freshers party would be allowed near fireworks.

Oxygen looks like something my players should be worried about if/when we start that Traveller campaign. And the three episodes after that apparently form a mini-trilogy which will be fun.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:59 am »
Yeah this is looking like the strongest season for Capaldi which is sad since he's leaving. I don't know if it's due to the fact he' stepping back and relinquishing more creative control but these new episodes just don't feel like Moffat (in a good way). If Bill turns out to not be a normo and has some sort of special destiny or her mum was an alien or something I'm going to hulk out and punch Moffat in the dick.

Also: It's definitely the Master in that vault
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:05 am »
No its definitely Clara inside the vault 

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2017, 03:08:43 am »
There's something about this show. I was feeling terrible all day yesterday, to the point where I had to go back to my parent's for the night because it was all too much. But watching last night's episode made me feel a little bit better.

I'll say it again, I'm loving this series so far. I hope Mathieson is regular staple of Chibnall's run.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2017, 11:47:52 am »
Yeah it was a pretty dope episode. Nice and simple. Back to basics.

Man that moffat metaplot stuff got old fast.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:18 am »
Bumping the latest  is bonkers

The doctor's companion is now a cyberman!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 25, 2017, 02:14:27 pm »
Good ep if a bit heavy on the usual Moffat fanwank but I think we can forgive it as it's his last bow.

I'm pretty sure this episode contained the creepiest **** I've ever seen in Doctor Who and the scifi setup with the mega-ship reversing away from the black hole is ****ing great.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 25, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »
You know what's really amazing?

No weeping angels at all this season.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 25, 2017, 02:50:26 pm »
Uh, except they were, at the beginning of The Lie of the Land :Y

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
Not seen that one,I  assumed they were absent

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #1032 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:25 pm »
I was like 'how do these spacefaring aliens not know what general relativity is?' before the Doctor brought it up, but thankfully they addressed it by pointing out he was talking to a janitor, exposition, and comic relief.

Also what the hell is that ship made of? That kind of gravity differential could shred stuff at a microscopic level.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:01:58 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 25, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »
It's made of Janitorium.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:37 am »
Good ep if a bit heavy on the usual Moffat fanwank but I think we can forgive it as it's his last bow.

I can forgive it because I really ****ing like the sockhead design. It's the only Cyberman that's really creepy in how it seems more like there's a mutilated human under a thin shell rather than it just being a humanoid robot.
They did a good job getting the Cybermen away from being a space-zombie/Borg ripoff and capturing the real horror of people choosing to turn themselves into emotionless cyborgs as a desperate survival strategy.

It was good stuff. I expect the next episode to be extra disappointing.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."