Author Topic: Game Ideas? Brainstorming.  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
Game Ideas? Brainstorming.
« on: June 10, 2005, 07:20:07 am »
I mentioned sort of jokingly in another thread that the forumers could get noticed by the Spore team (or other potential game-industry employers) by getting together to make a game and some of you seemed to get very interested in the idea. 

Game-programming is a hobby I would like to get back into anyway, so I'm thinking we could give it a shot, and even if nothing comes of it, it should be kinda fun.

So I'm starting this topic for brainstorming game ideas, where we can just get a bunch of ideas on the table and worry about which ones are good or bad later.  After this thread has gone awhile, perhaps we can appoint someone to select a few of the best-sounding ones and then set up a poll.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with ;)  (I'll probably chime in later with a few of mine)

Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
Re: Game Ideas? Brainstorming.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:44:26 am »
How about a game where you start out as bacteria and evolve procedurally all the way up to a galactic god? hehe... I don't know,  I really can't think of anything original, and it's boring to make something that's already been done a thousand times. I think eventually I'll get around to making a 2D point & click adventure, if I ever find software friendly enough to do that. I want to be able to draw all my own animations and everything, I think it would be really fun. I'mma see what other people come up with here... So I can steal their idea   :D

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 08:51:42 am »
I've always thought space trading games were possibly the best genre. I can play those things for days at a time. Of course, Spore may have just beaten that...

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:17:36 pm »
We could do a Drug Wars clone, make it a bit more advanced, and set it in outer space. Of course, clones don't sell well, but I don't think we're trying to sell this.

Or we could do a fighter game I always wanted to try, where it's a mixture of RPG and fighter, and you get to design your fighter and their moves, but it doesn't suck like that Mortal Kombat RPG.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 02:31:06 am »
  I've always wanted a wanted a game that takes part on a large space ship.  Sort of a small guild based deal where each member has specific task to do.  Such as one person would be the pilot, another few gunners, maybe a ship commander and there would probably be a damage control/energy control officer.  Plus you could launch fighters with their own player pilots to accomplish missions within the battle like knocking the enemy ships sensors offline for a period of time or something of that nature.  It'd be awesome over teamspeak.
  I don't think it would be to hard to impliment either, there are games with much worse ideas that get made.  As far as being an MMORPG, I'm not sure.  It could work well as a Star Trek standalone title or maybe a Star Wars Galaxy Expansion.
  What does everyone think?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 02:52:33 am »
It sounds like it would definitely be fun, but maybe too much for a bunch of guys (and girls) (ha!) on a board. Then again, only 2 people made CounterStrike, but that was only a mod for Half-Life, not a full game.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 02:59:32 am »
  I've always wanted a wanted a game that takes part on a large space ship.  Sort of a small guild based deal where each member has specific task to do.  Such as one person would be the pilot, another few gunners, maybe a ship commander and there would probably be a damage control/energy control officer.  Plus you could launch fighters with their own player pilots to accomplish missions within the battle like knocking the enemy ships sensors offline for a period of time or something of that nature.  It'd be awesome over teamspeak.
  I don't think it would be to hard to impliment either, there are games with much worse ideas that get made.  As far as being an MMORPG, I'm not sure.  It could work well as a Star Trek standalone title or maybe a Star Wars Galaxy Expansion.

I really like this idea. Maybe if it were scaled down: I have this vision of a 'large' space ship as like something from Alien. Maybe if there were like a couple of rooms, like the bridge, englineering, fighter bays etc. This game could well rock supremely.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 02:14:27 pm »
I had an idea for a game where you play as a caveman. You would wander around looking for other cavemen and, if they were riding a horse, came,l bull or whatever you would get to 'jack' the mount and bring it back to your base for money. Get enough money and you could upgrade to the next age, and now your cave looks more like an Athenian temple and you can get better weapons and upgrades for your mounts and you can even hire NPCs to gather money from trees and rocks. Upgrade your temple to a castle and then the NPCs can ride mounts and go with you on raiding/jacking runs and they can build buildings near wood and rocks to increase output. Make your castle a cathederal and melee weapons will be able to kill in one hit but only you would be able to use them, and you can build ships in addition to horses(boats can be jacked just like mounts so make sure you're packin a 40). You can then upgrade your cathederal to a government building which means you can build airplanes(these can also be jacked) and mounts turn into cars with guns on them so you don't need to use hand weapons. Later you can upgrade you government building to a futuristic techno thing that lets planes fly above the clouds, where gravity is no longer a problem(spacecraft can be jacked, too). You can then place orbital 'defense' cannons above your enemy's capital and you can research a very expensive and slow technology that when finished wipes out that player and you win the game. There. The ultimate combination of RoN and GTA has been written down.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 03:57:32 pm »
Cool ideas!

My current favorite idea is a superhero game. 
I'm envisioning 3rd person perspective camera and controls, similar to Max Payne and Oni.  There would be a set of characters to choose from, each which very different powers.  I'm going for interesting new gameplay so there will probably be only one character whose powers include "shoot stuff".  Current ideas are:  one guy who can grow/shrink at will(prolly by mousewheel).  one who can change into various animals.  one of the flying-shooting type superheroes.  a telekinetic.  I would try to make balance less of an issue by moving the focus off combat somewhat.

It would be multiplayer only(or at least the focus would be multiplayer).  With emphasis on co-op and/or team vs team.  Soon as the game pops up you see the server browser(think Unreal Tournament), with display options, host game button, etc. on the same screen but not in the way of hopping into a game really quick.  Once you pick the game to join, you take your pick of which super-powered character to use, pick a team, and drop into the game.  Multiple game types will be available, but most likely and perhaps the best example for know would be capture the flag, but with the flags' locations somewhat randomized so that sometimes it favors one character and sometimes another.  And there wouldn't be killing...you'd just knock the person disoriented enough for a second that you could steal the flag.  I can also see game-modes based on these supers playing sports.

My original idea was that these'd be story-based co-op scenarios that people played through with more of a single-player-game-made-co-op mentality.   Missions could be things like:
Prevent Giant Monster from destroying the Orphanage!
An army of robotic super-soldiers is kidnapping innocent civilians, save as many as you can before the robots get away!
Sneak into Dr. McBaddy's lair without being spotted!
You've fallen into a trap!  Survive the onslaught of Dr. McBaddy's Mutated Minions!
Find the secret treasure of Erops III before the villains do!
You and another superhero begin a friendly contest to see who is fastest/strongest.  What's the worst that could happen?
Deliver all these pizzas in three minutes or your fired! (ok prolly not)

Both sound like fun and could certainly just be different game modes of the same game I guess.
I would especially like to make a mission/map editor built into the game in a very easy to use way, but this seems like a difficult task.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 08:07:58 pm »
Wow, all of our ideas are so different... now to make them into ONE GAME...

We can take Borogove's base idea of a superhero game, make missions about selling drugs in outer space to make money, and you use the money to get money and upgrade through history and get better weapons and so on to power up your space ship that is cooperatively controlled.

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 08:30:30 pm »
Star Trek online.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 07:04:53 am »

Thats exactly the game I want, but the ships must be dynamically destroyable.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 03:16:04 pm »
I keep getting good feedback on Squest.  So I've been thinking maybe a sequel would be worthwhile.  Not necessarily an actual Squest 2 but some game that uses the same/similar swinging mechanic.

You can check it out here:
http://www.meyermike.com/viewgame.php?id=7/

BTW, should we set up another thread to discuss which idea to make into a game or wait till there are more?  Or should we leave it at coming up with cool ideas instead of trying to make a game out of it?  Hehe, I get alternately really excited ;D and pessimistic  :-[ about a project by random  fans of a game that wont be out for over a year.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 03:34:54 pm »
Squest is awesome!!! :D I hadn't played before you put that post up.

A more complex Squest would be great!

Going to play more...

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 02:08:52 pm »

I've never played a nice space RTS.  I would love to command a fleet of ships and go blast the hell out of space pirates.  I'm thinking of a 2D side-scrolling freeform game.  Something you could spend hours on, or just five minutes.  Kind of like GTA in space.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 10:54:48 am »
I like the idea of more GTA-style superhero games like Spiderman 2.  Imagine a Batman game where you fight criminals, go on missions and have to run away from the cops.  You could have the same wanted stars.  I think that could be particularly fun although if you made a generic superhero game with the customization of GTA-SA, that would also rule.  -leeman

ps: We also need more SCUMM games like Monkey Island.

pps: seriously.