Author Topic: Mysteries & Adventures: A DS Success Story  (Read 2042 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Mysteries & Adventures: A DS Success Story
« on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:38 am »
I remember the question "Are adventure games dead or dying?" being asked numerous times in developer roundtables. The failure of Psychonauts was held up as an example of a brilliant game being generally ignored, and Dreamfall failed to impress many people. But with Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, and some upcoming games for the DS, it appears the genre has been provided a savior in Nintendo's Little System That Could.

TOUCH DETECTIVE (Atlus)

Taking up the role as Rina, the player guides her through four odd mysteries that require a hefty amount of thought and attention to detail. The top screen always showcases Rina and allows you access to her thoughts as she ponders over different elements of each case. The touch screen is of course used to gather clues, navigate her about the world, and select dialogue in conversation trees (similar to Phoenix Wright, one suspects). The graphical style used for the game, a mixture of Invader Zim and Tim Burton, is outstanding and it is one of the big adventure games coming to the DS in the near future (Q4 in the US).

Some additional screens:

HOTEL DUSK: ROOM 215 (Nintendo)

"Los Angeles, 1979. Players take the role of Kyle Hyde, an ex-cop turned salesman trying to track down a missing friend. Clues lead to an eerie, old hotel rumored to have one very strange room a room where wishes are granted. Players check in and get ready for a night of surprises as they meet a cast of unusual characters and try to unravel the mystery in Hotel Dusk: Room 215, a gritty graphic adventure for the Nintendo DS." -- IGN.com [because I'm lazy]

This game is a touch [pun unintended but kept due to the funny] unique in that it requires you hold the DS in the vertical position similar to Brain Age (or in Book Style) while you maneuver Kyle through the mystery, searching for clues using the DS's stylus, and trying to unravel the mystery of his friend's disappearance. Whereas Touch Detective has cartoonish brilliance on its side, Hotel Dusk's artstyle is far more realistic despite being sketch-looking. Seeing the pictures in motion is very impressive.

Some screens:

And a video: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/827/827002/vids_1.html

Overall, I'm thrilled to see these sort of games being released in the West, and if either of them can live up to the expectations many have (as the successors to Phoenix Wright's throne) then there's a lot to look forward to.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Mysteries & Adventures: A DS Success Story
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:10:47 am »
Ooooh. Style-tastic.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:42:09 pm »
Gamebrink review of Touch Detectives: http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-ds/1387-Osawari_Tantei_Osawa_Rina-reviews.html

And yeah, Hotel Dusk looks awesome. Also can't wait for Phoenix Wright 2  :)
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:08:01 pm »
Hotel Dusk is from the same people as Another Code, so it should be just as excellent, if not moreso.

I hadn't heard of Touch Detectives before now, but now I really can't wait to get my hands on it.
Not a winner anymore.