Author Topic: Bioshock  (Read 37717 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Bioshock
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:50:46 pm »
Ign has a good 15 minute walk-thru preview. Well worth the download: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/793/793105/vids_1.html

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
Re: Bioshock
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:52 am »
I have been waiting on this game for a while. Now that ive seen it in action I am so stoked its not even funny.

GOD I HAVE TO HAVE THIS. AND IM GETTIGN A 360 FOR IT. ( Cause I dont think my laptop can handle it that well )

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 07:20:11 am »
me too! gottahave!  ;) im gonna buy an xbox360 for it, and for dead rising, and for the rest of the cool games in the future!  ;)
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:03:32 am »
Looks great.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:51:14 pm »
Okay check this. I figured something out. You know how you can get the Agressor Irritant Plasmid? And you have the Security Beacon Plasmid? Well I bet you can try this. You find a splicer and a camera in the same room. You put the agrresor irritant on the camera. And then put the security beacon on the splicer. the agressor will go nuts and destroy the camera for you, while the security bots will come in, ignore you. and attack the crap out of the splicer. Then you can just let things play out until the aggressor is dead and the bots go away...  and then loot the room.

Or you can put an agressor irritant on a Little Sister... have it drop the little sister like a bag of hammers, have the big daddy end up fighting it ( or you can just drop the irritant on the big daddy and distract both of them and do the dirty work yourself ).. and then take Adam from the Little Sister. Its a depraved and evil thing to do to a kid.. but survival of the fittest, know?

I just hope that there are some mighty strong attack plasmids in the game. Because from everything I have read and seen, you are never going to have enough ammo in this game. There are probably going to be a lot of times where you are just going to have to cut and run to save your skin. If you dont continue to be followed across the map by something. You will probably be able to run long enough to find another enemy to distract the enemy after you, and then make your escape.

The only real downside to this game seems to be searching for stuff. At one point in the video it shows the character finding bullets in the water. I would never think to look in water for anything. And even so... I would probably have a hard time spotting it. Especially because half the lights in Rapture dont seem to do more than just flicker.

I am exciited about this game though. I spent an hour and a half last night watching the video over and over again. I noticed that glass bottles can be broken into different pieces, and dont always shatter. One bottle I picked out as braking at the top, then getting shot again and shattering at the bottom. The neon signs seem to have at least some damage function to them. There is a lot of ambient noise everywhere. The lighting is kind of a mix between Fear and Condemned: Criminal Origins. Its not too heavy but it also doesnt have too much contrast. Its just about right. And not everything is shined to a high gloss. Carpet looks like carpet. And there isnt a sheen to everything. There are fewer bloom effects in this game than say , Oblivion.. so things look like they are more naturally lit, and dont seem to glow as much.

And then there is the water. I have never seen water flow down a wall like that before. It looked real. And it looked like it was washing down the grooves of the tile as well. The lighting on the gun also seemed to reflect the lighting in the enviroment well. When your character was in the dark, the gun was dark. It almost works as a stealth meter as to whether or not you are in the dark.

There is a lot going on in that demo. The only snafu with the sound is that the characters repeated noises a lot. Especially the Little Sisters. They seem to have a limited vocabulary and the abiility to cough and have it sound the same every time.

But the animation is really good. Its fluid, and transitions from action to action.

Over all.. this demo shows some extreme potential for this game. It shows that its going to be rewarding for creative gameplay, but its also going to be difficult. Especially if you try and play it like a traditional shooter. It  reminds me very much of a mix of Deus Ex: Invisible War and Oblivion mixed together, with an easy to use menu system.

So here is to the city of Rapture. May there be Adam for all.

Exam

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:54:38 pm »
If the alarm goes off when you destroy a security camera that would work but I don't think there was an example of that in the demo. The guy kept talking about all these choices and how open and non linear it was. Then he says the level he was demoing was one that you had been trapped on by some singer, doesn't sound too open to me.

Also another example he gave was with the security cameras, highlighting the choice between trying to sneak and save ammo or just destroying the security camera. So he tries to sneak and fails, alarms go off and then uses a few shots killing security copters and then a few more destroying the camera and then some more on another security copter. When later in another set piece he destroys a security camera in two shots anyway. Not much of an 'option'.

I was definately intrigued about the 'bigger picture' that he hinted about though, finding out about the little sisters and how you deal with them down the line and the overall story line.

I still have hopes for it, although personally (and probably boringly) I would have just prefered System Shock 3. I just hope this doesn't 'do' a Dues Ex 2.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:54:19 am »
If the alarm goes off when you destroy a security camera that would work but I don't think there was an example of that in the demo. The guy kept talking about all these choices and how open and non linear it was. Then he says the level he was demoing was one that you had been trapped on by some singer, doesn't sound too open to me.

Also another example he gave was with the security cameras, highlighting the choice between trying to sneak and save ammo or just destroying the security camera. So he tries to sneak and fails, alarms go off and then uses a few shots killing security copters and then a few more destroying the camera and then some more on another security copter. When later in another set piece he destroys a security camera in two shots anyway. Not much of an 'option'.

I was definately intrigued about the 'bigger picture' that he hinted about though, finding out about the little sisters and how you deal with them down the line and the overall story line.

I still have hopes for it, although personally (and probably boringly) I would have just prefered System Shock 3. I just hope this doesn't 'do' a Dues Ex 2.

I can't say I know much about this game but that whole singer trapping you thing well there has to be a plot thats not the game being restrictive thats that game having a story. It also sounds like he did have a choice with the camera thing he choose to be sneaky also sounds like he was crap at being sneaky. There are restrictions on the world if enemies come you can't choose to ignore them and dance a merry jig, You can't choose to have them decide not to shoot at you, You are not god and get to influance the decisions of mortals. Stop taking the term Open so literal.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:29:23 am »
System Shock 3!!! Yay!!!

You know, only they couldn't call it that ... but I'm still really happy I own a kickass PC for this game.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 07:46:14 am »
Man this game looks great. I was in the airport and picked up an xbox magazine just too pass the time and it had bioshock on the front cover. I must say the art was amazing, you see a Little Sister hugging big daddy as he has his arms over her protecting her from a hail of bullets. This game just really got too me and its hard too explain why, its almost as if even tho this large city has gone to chaos there is still a sense of order in some ways. The big daddys and little sisters stick together, and im guessing the big daddys are pretty high up on the food chain. As for the other enemies we will see. By the way that water looks amazing.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:07:20 am »
Based on that video, I'm think the commentator gives themselves way too much credit. They've added a money system in a shooter, yay wow. Other than that, there are basically nothing new, unless 40's environs and underwater is new. Maybe the little sister and big daddy thing will go further, but for now, it seems pretty generic. Cool graphics and water effects though.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:08 pm »
Based on that video, I'm think the commentator gives themselves way too much credit. They've added a money system in a shooter, yay wow. Other than that, there are basically nothing new, unless 40's environs and underwater is new. Maybe the little sister and big daddy thing will go further, but for now, it seems pretty generic. Cool graphics and water effects though.

I wouldnt call it generic. That is like calling Deus Ex (I liked both Deus Ex games... begin boo'ing at me ) or System Shock 2 generic. Very few Shooters slow down their pace and have potentially but not always aggressive enemies. Many shooters dont feature rpg elements. This game is more of a hybrid of System Shock 2 and games like Thief and Oblivion. It breaks convention by enforcing ammo conservation and thought in how you deal with every situation. You arent going to have the ammo to shoot out every camera you come by. You arent going to have enough Adam to turn off every security system. You arent even going to have enough energy for using your plasmids all the time. From everything I have read about this game over the past year... it really slows everything down.

Now fine... if you want to call it generic than do so. But try comparing it to other shooters and see how generic it is. Its more than a game with a money system tacked on. And a lot of the game is the enemies and how their AI works. Between the Protectors ( Big Daddies ) and Gatherers ( Little Sisters ) , and then the Aggressors ( the different kind of Splicers they have shown... there is apparently more than one type according to screenshots ) and Security Systems.

The game takes some stuff that isnt new necesarrily, but that doesnt mean it is generic necesarrily.  Thats like calling Oblivion generic because it builds upon Morrowind. using elements from rather unconventional shooters ( the few there have been ) and using them in certain new ways puts the game into a minority of shooters.

Maybe im just defensive... but honestly... generic shooters dont make you think half as much as they make you run and shoot. Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter is a generic shooter. Area 51 is a generic shooter. Prey is a generic shooter. They all have the same thing in common. Corridor levels and linear paths. They all have a set of semi-generic weaponry. Hell! Even Half-lfe 2 is a generic shooter! it has vehicles ( Halo and other games before it ), your basic selection of weapons ( EVERY SHOOTER ), a rather linear path ( MOST SHOOTERS ).The main character had armor and health ( that goes back to DOOM ).  It even the old staple of shooters! ZOMBIES!!! The only thing that sets it apart is one weapon and one wapon only. And that is the gravity gun. And that wasnt even new. Object manipulation was in games like Psi-Ops before it was in Half-Life 2.

There is hardly a game that isnt generic unless its the first game to do something. Even System Shock 2 was generic. The original System Shock did everything System Shock 2 did back in 94. Quake took from Doom which took from Wolfenstein 3d. Unreal took from Quake.

So do you consider most shooters generic just for being shooters? What makes any shooter different than Wolfenstein 3d? The enemies? The enemies are sure to have been done before somewhere. The item system? Been done somewhere else before. The guns? Think of every type of gun in every shooter. There is maybe one new gun for every 30 new shooters. Powers? Been done too. Rpg elements? Been done a long time ago. Dark and light enviroments? Been done in Doom. Destructible objects and enviroments? Been done many ways. Reactive AI? Been done.

Seriously. Now I am trying very hard to find a shooter that isnt generic. So many of them are so derivative of each other. I just wonder if its the combination of elements that makes it unique. Who knows. I will let you decide for yourself. But its very easy to call ANY shooter Generic.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 03:41:02 pm »
I wasn't impressed, they just talked about the story and walked around. The graphics were good, but not revolutionary. I can't believe this game won a ton of "BEST OF E3" awards...

Keep in mind I've never been a fan of the original.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 04:54:35 pm »
I never played Messiah, from Shiney, but it sounds very similar to that.
Your normal stock first person shooter always looks pretty, nearly always boasts some groundbreaking gimmick, and ends up just being a rehashed clone with a different slant on an old theme. True, its hard to be original, but I dont really see anything that is -that- promising here. Upgrading the self-mods on the run? Power slotting/switching. Been done to death. Enemy AI that doesnt automatically treat you as hostile on sight, but considers certain other NPCs as enemies? Been done a lot. "Non-linear free-roaming play as you wish" promises? Heh, thats been done a lot too.

Sure, it could turn out to be entertaining, and it shows potential, but I dont really see anything that will be overwhelming here. For an obviously pre-scripted demo for show, those splicers really started to look repetetive in their movements. My opinion is that this wont be a generic stock FPS, but will join rank with the new generation of stock FPS, with whatever layer of gimmick it gives us. It would be nice to be proven wrong though.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 05:42:38 pm »
Looks nice, but don't get your hype too high up. Hype might be the thing that ruins the experience for you.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 04:27:55 pm »
I wouldnt call it generic. That is like calling Deus Ex (I liked both Deus Ex games... begin boo'ing at me )

Yay Deus Ex! I only played the 2nd one, but boy was that fun

Especially this gun I found that shot needle. When the needles hit a guy he would catch on fire. Rock on!

/off topic

Anyway, from what I've seen (didn't look at the movie yet) System Shock 3 seams rather cool