Author Topic: Stephen Baxter  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Tylui

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
Stephen Baxter
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:59:05 am »
So one day back in April...  I was coming home from Italy, and we were in Boston.  I walked into a bookstore at the airport...  And uhh, I went ahead and looked around for awhile.  To be honest, in my lifetime, I think I've only actually finished around 18 books, 15 or so of which being Animorphs from back when I was into that sort of thing.  And the remaining 3 were Harry Potter.  Oh, and I did read that Hobbit, so 19.  Anyway, around this time I was beginning to question my spiritual beliefs that were so fairly forced upon me in my upbringing.  In all honesty, I could have just settled for anything, I didn't care for religion much anyway, but being here onthe Gaming Steve site and reading and wishing for Spore and stuff really made my cogs spin, and the theory of evolution began to take hold in me.  So you can imagine my surprise and excitement when I looked down the rack and saw a book entitled simply: "Evolution"

I knew, however, that if I were to purchase that book, that as soon as I returned home, my mother would've sh*t a brick, so to speak.  So instead, I bought "Vacuum Diagrams" by the same author, Stephen Baxter.  I think it was the right choice; it took me just a week and a half to finish it.  When I was finished, I slowly began to speak to my mom about the other book, and really hid the title of it, so she led me order it, oblivious to what it was called.  Of course, when it had arrived, she was Pretty pissed, but there was nothing she could do about it, and, in fact, to my joy, she has thusfar refused to believe that I believe anything else than what she does. Therefore, she leaves me alone about it.

Anyway, Evolution took me almost 4 months to finish.  But I should probably think that most of that wasn't my fault... My summer was HORRIBLY busy the whole time, so I never really had a chance to read it, no matter how much I wanted to.

Anyway(again), Evolution and Vacuum Diagrams were both VERY good books, and I suggest them to anyone who likes Hard SF...

Now... if anyone could suggest to me an author of similar style... I'd be most appreciative.

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Baxter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:42:50 am »
I really enjoyed the colloboration of Stephen Baxter with Arthur C. Clarke.

First book is called: Time's Eye and the second is called: Sunstorm.

I might have mixed up the order :P

Also Stephen Baxter has a range of books out called the Manifold series.
(i do this from the top of my head so bear with me)
Manifold: Space
Manifold: Time
Manifold: Origin
Manifold: Phase Space (<- this one looked like a recap for me but judge it by yourself :D)

Offline Dartje

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 01:51:09 am »
Stephen Baxter is underrated :(

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:22:24 am »
I have read Evolution my Baxter too. I loved that book and repeated reading some parts over and over again, though I skipped the middle. >.>
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense