Author Topic: Greatest Videogame Music  (Read 46608 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest Videogame Music
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 12:57:08 am »
i like the advanced wars music....it kicks ass. i also like the metroid music and the zelda....and the mario...and...eeeh golden sun music lol i could go on for a while (has anyone ever just did nothing in a game just to hear the music before you go to the next level?)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 12:00:09 pm »
I love the way Chibi-Robo makes its own music. A note for every step you take, in a different timbre for every surface. Spanish guitar for cleaning the floor, a piano chord for digging with the spoon, a riff for picking things up. It's special.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles has a neat soundtrack, and Beyond Good and Evil has great ambience. Nintendo games always have really memorable themes, too.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 12:15:19 pm »
Also, I'm surprised someone hasn't yet brought up Final Fantasy VII's One-Winged Angel as their all time favorite.
'cause really... at any given point in time, someone is raving about this damn track.

I kind of did.

In the other music topic...
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=599.msg28761#msg28761

It is a great song though. I actually made a note to not say it... for your very reason. :P

Wanna merge this into that topic, then? No sense having two.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 12:43:05 pm »
Half Life 2 actually has some very cool music, you don't really notice it though.

Civilizations 4 has a lot of good music to, as does Europa Universalis 2 if you like that kind of thing.

But there are alot of games with great soundtracts, so it is hard to list them all.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:11 pm »
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII & IX
Homeworld
Chrono Trigger

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:31 pm »
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis had an amasing soundtrack in my opinion.

is that the side scroller one?

It's actually a park-builder type game.
Turns out that after my CD broke and a virus rampaged through my system, the music is the only thing of the game I have left. :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:01:30 pm by Darth Grievi »

c14dude

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 01:04:42 pm »
ok i was thinking of the one for the sega and snes. that game was harder then michael jackson at chuckecheese....

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:08 am »
Civilizations 4 has a lot of good music to, as does Europa Universalis 2 if you like that kind of thing.

Yeah, EU2 has some nice period-specific tracks, but aren't they all pre-existing (aka "not original for the game")?

Some of my favorites:
GUN soundtrack - lots of really good songs here.
Max Payne 2 - "Theme" and "Choice" - Choice always mentally brings me back to the AWESOME final level...I could listen to this song 30x in a row.
Xenosaga series - some great pumping, chanting, epic tracks. The soundtracks are well worth buying.
Beyond Good & Evil - has a few very nice songs, but I can't think of their names right now.
Rome: Total War - lots of adrenaline pumping battle music.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Phenomenal title track!
Ikaruga - simply because the music is synced so perfectly to the action.
ReZ - same as Ikaruga...plus you can add to it!
Descent: Freespace & Freespace 2: Dan Wentz composed some very nice "fight" music for these!
DooM - e1m1 - Anybody who played DooM 1 in its time would be hard pressed to forget this track.
Shadow of the Colossus - for simply being epic.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - more adrenaline tracks here :)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 08:23:34 am »

Yeah, EU2 has some nice period-specific tracks, but aren't they all pre-existing (aka "not original for the game")?

Some of my favorites:
GUN soundtrack - lots of really good songs here.
Max Payne 2 - "Theme" and "Choice" - Choice always mentally brings me back to the AWESOME final level...I could listen to this song 30x in a row.
Xenosaga series - some great pumping, chanting, epic tracks. The soundtracks are well worth buying.
Beyond Good & Evil - has a few very nice songs, but I can't think of their names right now.
Rome: Total War - lots of adrenaline pumping battle music.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Phenomenal title track!
Ikaruga - simply because the music is synced so perfectly to the action.
ReZ - same as Ikaruga...plus you can add to it!
Descent: Freespace & Freespace 2: Dan Wentz composed some very nice "fight" music for these!
DooM - e1m1 - Anybody who played DooM 1 in its time would be hard pressed to forget this track.
Shadow of the Colossus - for simply being epic.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - more adrenaline tracks here :)

I agree with alot of you're choices, but some of them I haven't heard.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 09:20:43 am »
I've recently been playing Tomb Raider Legend, I was a little disapointed when I heard it didn't have the classic Tomb Raider theme, but I have to say, the new one is really cool.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 12:44:57 pm »
Best music? Well someone already mentioned Donkey Kong Country ( My fave is from DKC2 its called Stickerbrush Symphony... it almiost brings a tear to my eye. You can find it Here Right click and save  ).

But my absolute fave is from the Kirby games. Specifically Kirby's Adventure. I can even tell you which song it is. It is the second wolrd theme for Orange Ocean ( World #6 ). Its the slow and calm theme that makes me relaxed. You can find the track Here ( riight click and save ) .
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:53:05 pm by Talkc »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 01:13:37 pm »
Don't forget OverClocked Remix. It is awesome.

http://www.ocremix.org/

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 01:16:08 pm »
Don't forget OverClocked Remix. It is awesome.

http://www.ocremix.org/

They have a great Stickerbrush Symphony remix there. And some great Doom remixes...

Which brings me to DOOM. I forgot about it. It has some great music too... although I like the OCremixes of Doom 2 ( from Mazedude ) the best. Check out Gothic Sandy by him.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:20:26 pm by Talkc »

c14dude

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 01:24:16 pm »
Metroids music is amazing

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 04:23:13 pm »
Though the score is not from the video games but rather from the Movies, most any of the Movie-based (not the old book-based) Lord of the Rings games (also includes The Battle for Middle-Earth 1&2), the first one (Battle for Middle Earth) had my favorite song (wholely) of the Lord of the rings soundtrack, but the second one cuts out the good part (of the song). I just really like the music, classical music is good, to me.
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.