Author Topic: If you made an MMO, what would it be like?  (Read 7267 times)

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
Re: If you made an MMO, what would it be like?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 07:25:20 am »
Massive space combat.

It would be a third person or first person game with big starships.  It would require people to work in teams.  The starships would have bridges, corridors, shuttle bays, engineering sections, etc...  You would navigate these to do different things in combat.   Go to a turret to man it for attack/defence.  Go the the bridge to control where the ship goes.  Go the the shuttle bay to take a fighter out.  Go to engineering to repair stuff.  There would have to be a comand structure built in so that everyone would know what to do and who was in charge.  Ships would be dynamically destroyable.  Fire an ion cannon at a ship and eventually it would penetrate, but only in the spot where the ion cannon was fired.  You could call hull breaches where people are sucked out into space.  If the ion cannon continued to fire it would eventaully go out the other side.  You could have marine shuttles that when to the enimies ships, latched on and cut trough the hull to let the maries onboard to try and take over.  These could range from simple one on one ship battles to masive armadas.  To destroy a ship you would have to destroy its core, which would also be where everyone on that ship would respawn after they were killed.

Thats the basics of the combat.  But there could also be planets where you could visit and guilds and other such MMO space stuff.  Maybe planet based combat as well.  Orbatal bonbardment would be fantastic.  A lot of the ideas have to be worked out, but thinking of a game like this gets me very excited.

I suggested something very similar to this just a few days ago so it's good to see I'm not the only person that's thinking of it.  Man, if only there were a game like this...

Yah, I just say your post over in Everything Else.  I think the main sticking point is the engine.  I think it would need something  totally new that current standard computers could not handle.  It would have basic properties programed into all of the materials to determine how they would react to different expositions and weapons.  This would be dumbed down a lot from real world physics, but I still think todays computers could not handle it in a completely dynamic fasion.  Maybe we could get something with just destroyable sections (engines, turrets, bridge, etc...) for now.  It would be a great MUD too.  I think you would need the ability to have a ton of people playing at once.  Several hundred I am thinking.  The chaos would be fantastic.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 12:50:05 pm »
I think a shadowrun MMO would be really cool. The idea of using magic, melee weapons, guns and hacking skills just seems nice 'n' diverse to me. Being a mercenary and attacking one corporation for the sake of another, and hacking an enemies' implants while in the middle of a firefight would sure add a lot of variety to a genre with so much repetition. Each player really could be truly unique, I think. Of course, I also think that if this were to be taken seriously, developers would really have to flesh out the world... a lot. There'd have to be a full city. For a game with a cyber-punk feel, I'd like to see bars, sewers, hidden doors and alleyways... a location as close in complexity to the real world (or a future world) as possible. A static world wouldn't work... at least the way I'd like to play it. ;D

I don't know, it's kind of an idea I've thought of only recently, so I don't have it nearly as fleshed out as some of my other game concepts. I'll just have to be satisfied with what's in my head already, at least until I can sit down and really think it through. :P
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 10:38:21 pm »
For me, the only MMO ive enjoyed so far for more then 2 months (after beta) has been Planetside, COH, and Ragnaok Online (before and after free peroid)

I did realy enjoy Horizons:Empire of Istaria, for the chance to play dragons of course, but they totaly screwed up the way we could play them.

I was looking forward to Tabulsa Rasta before they changed it, now it just looks like a copy of Planetside.

The one game I am REALY looking foward to is Trials of Ascension (http://www.shadowpool.com/index.php), beacause you can play as a dragon, but unlike Horizons, it looks like they have done it right.

If I could make an MMORPG, I would try and incorperate only mythological creatures, and no humans. Humans have been used as a "basis" for almost all MMO's and I would like to see an MMO that takes the myths and ledgens from many cultures in one MMO.
We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 01:23:27 pm »
My friend Zack had an interesting idea for an MMORPG.  Pretty much you would start off as just a person with no skills, powers, equipment and have to find areas where other players had congregated and all the content would be player designed.  Mods would be there to introduce aspects slowly into the game like, "I hear that if you collect enough material and practice you could make something called a 'spear.'"  There would be npc creatures like wolves and bears that you'd have to team up with people to kill by hurling rocks and stuff until better weapons were built.  I was hesitant because it seems that abuse could run rampant but he countered that that would create the conflict.  Instead of fighting npc villains, you'd have to join up against obnoxious power gamers who are trying to break the game and mods could create quests to clear out a bad tribe of players.  The game would just keep running and be slowly built up by players, with technology being slowly dropped in by Mods.  The potential for exploration and discovery would be cool but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.  Thoughts? -leeman

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 06:30:40 am »
My friend Zack had an interesting idea for an MMORPG.  Pretty much you would start off as just a person with no skills, powers, equipment and have to find areas where other players had congregated and all the content would be player designed.  Mods would be there to introduce aspects slowly into the game like, "I hear that if you collect enough material and practice you could make something called a 'spear.'"  There would be npc creatures like wolves and bears that you'd have to team up with people to kill by hurling rocks and stuff until better weapons were built.  I was hesitant because it seems that abuse could run rampant but he countered that that would create the conflict.  Instead of fighting npc villains, you'd have to join up against obnoxious power gamers who are trying to break the game and mods could create quests to clear out a bad tribe of players.  The game would just keep running and be slowly built up by players, with technology being slowly dropped in by Mods.  The potential for exploration and discovery would be cool but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.  Thoughts? -leeman

Sounds kind of like Second Life, which is basically a user created MMO chat room.  There are games and stuff, but most of it is just people hanging out and having a good time.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:39 pm »
I'd take the RPG out of the MMORPG. Take a cue from the non-massives like UT. The thing stopping me from playing MMO's (or even single-player RPGs) is that they demand so much of a time investment to enjoy. I want to be able to boot up the game, find out where my buddies are, and drop in right next to them ready to play.

And get rid of those damn death penalties. Doing s**t that could likely get me killed is fun, and if I have to respawn back somewhere else, it's punishment enough.

Try out Planetside. You, for the most part, can pick up the basic skills you want to use throughout the game in the first hour. Once you find a group of friends or join an organization there's always action somewhere. Its actually an MMOFPS. I've had great fun planning and executing the raid and take over of an enemy base. There's tons of vehicles to pilot and gun for, many of which you don't need any skill or aquired ability to be able to gun for.

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 01:01:06 am »
Back before I heard of Maplestory, I thought my idea of a massively-multiplayer sidescrolling action-rpg was original.

Something like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on a gigantic scale, with multiple players, several playable races and special abilities, three worlds, cartoonish fantasy feel.
If only my programming knowledge extended into the online scale. And if only I had the patience for such a thing.
Though I do have the world pretty well planned out.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.