Author Topic: Reasons why not to get a PS3  (Read 63967 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons why not to get a PS3
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2006, 06:13:14 am »
Its psychotic.

Its not as if these 'cars' even cost anything to make.

Once youve made the basic model you can just churn out new skins and specs like crazy.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2006, 08:11:35 am »
I havent heard of them (except MGS)

so they cant be THAT great.

You haven't heard of Heavenly Sword? Jesus, Krakow, what rock have you been under? It's been one of the signature games for the PS3 since E3. Has all the graphical bells and whistles, the nifty violence, the hot chick lead character with hair that requires three physics programs to keep track of.

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/700/700186.html

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:16 am »
Ive been under the rock where I'll never be able to afford a PS3 and want to maintain a negative attitude about it so i'm never tortured by desire for one   :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2006, 08:58:35 am »
I think most people say this coming, but the Oblivion upgrades the PS3 is getting, including the visual upgrades, are also coming out for the 360/PC, either as some kind of expansion pack, or downloadable content.  I guess it's still okay for people who want to get a PS3, and don't yet have Oblivion.  But how many people don't have Oblivion?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html

Offline Raptor

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The F-22 Raptor...nuf' said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2006, 08:11:50 pm »
Found a new one. I need to find the link on it, but I'll tell you it as I find it

Grand Turismo HD is a real game. However, 90% of the game you have to buy online. Each thing costs anywhere from $.50 to $5.00.

Meaning if you want everything in the game, it will cost you around $400.

:D

I saw this too!

The game will ship with no cars or tracks!

Then, you have to download each individual car for something like $0.67, and tracks for a few dollars.

Microsoft even made note of it, and at X06 touted that Forza Motorsport 2 will ship with over 300 cars "on disk".

That was a giant "screw you" to Sony. :D
OMG....that gave me a good laugh. I bought this 70 dollar game.....now I have to spend  another 100 DOLLARS to GET SOME CARS AND TRACKS?!?!??! WHY!?!?!
Emergence Day '06: Run like Hell. Yes, hell is very fast.

Offline Raptor

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The F-22 Raptor...nuf' said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2006, 08:28:51 pm »
Why is every one bad mouthing the PS3 for god sake boo hoo that got rid of the rumble big loss ::)

there are Heep's of cool games coming out for the PS3 that i garentie you will looks better than the Xbox360 don't get me wrong the Xbox360 is awesome but the PS3 will be better

Turok
The Darkness
Gears of War
Devil May Cry 4
Bioshock
Unreal Tournament 2007
The Suffering 2
Star Wars:Next Gen
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Resident Evil 5
Mortal Combat 7
Lair
Hellboy
Half Life 2:Episode 2
Haze
Gundam World
Grand Theft Auto 4
Genji
Fear and Respect
Fatel Inertia
F.E.A.R 2
EyeDentify
EXTREME
Demonik
Endless Saga
Elveon
Dark Sector
Beowulf
Avalon
Alone in the Dark

All those games are coming out for the PS3 and look awesome so i don't know why every ones complaining if one game is coming out on the 360 as well and you say the PS3'S graphics are praticly the same i would like you to post a picture from the 360 vesrhion and the PS3 version and we will see.

You DO realize that Gears of War is coming to the 360 alone.....rofl! And I ahven't heard of any of those games so let's see what they look like later on in production. GTA 4 is coming out on the 360, so is FEAR 2, HL2, UT07, Bioshock, The darkness, and SW: Next gen. There are probably more, but you get my point. Don't buy the hype.
Emergence Day '06: Run like Hell. Yes, hell is very fast.

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:52 am »
The Cell Processor is weird... I don't know much about it... I think though, that it does in fact have the processing power of however many cores they say it has. Plus, it is super small. However, I think there was an issue with heat or something like that.

But, for the rest of us, we can get similar results by getting sometime like the Quad-Core that is coming out soon. And then the Quad Video Card set up is nice too...

Yay!

Yes the Cell is a strange one, let me explain.

A core is not allways a 'processor' as you know the term, it is a processing unit to some degree but does not have to perform all the functions of the main core. The cell for example is a 9-core unit with one main core and 8 slave cores which are similar to what used to be called a floating-point-unit, this means they perform specific funcions increasing the speed of the processor (because work is moved away from the main core) but does not mean the system is 8(or 9) times faster.

as a sample of things to come IBM seems to be leading the way here... their Kilocore project uses a whopping 1025 cores!!!!!!

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/19508.wss

note this part:
For example, with the Kilocore1025, a user will be able to view streaming live- and high-definition video on a low-power, mobile device at five to 10 times the speed of existing processors.

This tecnology will eventually come to consoles and mobile devices aswell as pcs, but will probably debut on pc's a year or two before that.

ON TOPIC : I have owned consoles in the past and every time it has not been because of thier performance, but because of the unique titles that they had. There seems to be few unique titles on the PS3, and so I will not be going anywhere near its inflated price!!!

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2006, 03:34:07 am »
A core is not allways a 'processor' as you know the term, it is a processing unit to some degree but does not have to perform all the functions of the main core. The cell for example is a 9-core unit with one main core and 8 slave cores which are similar to what used to be called a floating-point-unit, this means they perform specific funcions increasing the speed of the processor (because work is moved away from the main core) but does not mean the system is 8(or 9) times faster.

The PS3 only uses seven of the SPUs, one is redundant. It's too difficult for Sony to ensure that all eight are working correctly and so they don't allow all of them to be used.

Its psychotic.

Its not as if these 'cars' even cost anything to make.

Once youve made the basic model you can just churn out new skins and specs like crazy.

I don't think that's quite true. I remember reading that it takes one guy one month to make one model for GT4. They are also fiercely pedantic over handling models and so forth. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is ridiculous though. What DOES come on the disk by way of assets?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:44:25 am by El Stevo »
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline jb7

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2006, 05:29:48 am »
Why is every one bad mouthing the PS3 for god sake boo hoo that got rid of the rumble big loss ::)

there are Heep's of cool games coming out for the PS3 that i garentie you will looks better than the Xbox360 don't get me wrong the Xbox360 is awesome but the PS3 will be better

Turok
The Darkness
Gears of War
Devil May Cry 4
Bioshock
Unreal Tournament 2007
The Suffering 2
Star Wars:Next Gen
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Resident Evil 5
Mortal Combat 7
Lair
Hellboy
Half Life 2:Episode 2
Haze
Gundam World
Grand Theft Auto 4
Genji
Fear and Respect
Fatel Inertia
F.E.A.R 2
EyeDentify
EXTREME
Demonik
Endless Saga
Elveon
Dark Sector
Beowulf
Avalon
Alone in the Dark

All those games are coming out for the PS3 and look awesome so i don't know why every ones complaining if one game is coming out on the 360 as well and you say the PS3'S graphics are praticly the same i would like you to post a picture from the 360 vesrhion and the PS3 version and we will see.

I've seen comparisons of 360 v. PS3, and they look the same. And like another poster said, you can scratch the next best FPS "Gears of War" off that list.

Tiger Woods 07 for 360

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/826/826459/img_3994139.html

PS3 Version

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826461/img_3743457.html

Call of Duty 3 for 360

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/737/737755/call-of-duty-3-20061006042032668.jpg

CoD 3 for PS3

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/801/801848/img_4008211.html

They look the same to me. The PS3 on paper is better than the 360, but how many developers do you think will go the extra mile to use that extra potential?  Obviously the PS3 will be a good system, but I still have some doubts about how good.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2006, 12:11:59 pm »
I've seen comparisons of 360 v. PS3, and they look the same. And like another poster said, you can scratch the next best FPS "Gears of War" off that list.

They look the same to me as well, but one correction: GoW isn't a FPS. It's a TPS, or Third-Person Shooter.

They look the same to me. The PS3 on paper is better than the 360, but how many developers do you think will go the extra mile to use that extra potential? Obviously the PS3 will be a good system, but I still have some doubts about how good.

Bolded for emphasis, as you're exactly right. That said, when a developer does harness its potential significantly, it will be pretty to behold.

Offline jb7

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:08 pm »

They look the same to me as well, but one correction: GoW isn't a FPS. It's a TPS, or Third-Person Shooter.

Hehe my mistake.

And yes, I am sure there will be some great looking exclusive games for the PS3. In fact, I hope so since I will be purchasing one in the future. However, don't be fooled by all this hype that makes the PS3 look like a supercomputer compared to the 360.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2006, 01:39:23 pm »

Hehe my mistake.

And yes, I am sure there will be some great looking exclusive games for the PS3. In fact, I hope so since I will be purchasing one in the future. However, don't be fooled by all this hype that makes the PS3 look like a supercomputer compared to the 360.

Sony is slowly but surely pushing me into boycotting their company. I was going to pick up a PS3 when Ueda's next game finally rolled around, but I'm so frustrated with them these days that I'm honestly considering not even bothering with them this generation at all. Of course, that could change over time and I might end up getting one when his new game comes out anyway, but for now ... I question it.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2006, 04:12:33 pm »
I don't think it has been pointed out but the most powerfull systems are never the most popular. Just look at last gen.

(wait have I said this before?)
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2006, 04:15:45 pm »
Sony is slowly but surely pushing me into boycotting their company. I was going to pick up a PS3 when Ueda's next game finally rolled around, but I'm so frustrated with them these days that I'm honestly considering not even bothering with them this generation at all. Of course, that could change over time and I might end up getting one when his new game comes out anyway, but for now ... I question it.

I understand you like this Ueda guy and all, buy buying a console just for one game? That just seems a bit silly to me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2006, 04:16:41 pm »
Man this thing got long!

There is probably enough hot air in here to inflate a balloon...

*Climbs into a basket*

UP! UP!

:D

Oh also FFVII Remake = I buy a PS3.

Dur.