Author Topic: Reasons why not to get a PS3  (Read 64014 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Reasons why not to get a PS3
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2006, 03:42:13 pm »
The Cell Processor is weird... I don't know much about it... I think though, that it does in fact have the processing power of however many cores they say it has. Plus, it is super small. However, I think there was an issue with heat or something like that.

But, for the rest of us, we can get similar results by getting sometime like the Quad-Core that is coming out soon. And then the Quad Video Card set up is nice too...

Yay!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2006, 04:27:30 pm »
But they cost a fortune...

c14dude

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2006, 04:30:38 pm »
i need to step in for a moment.

the diffrence is preference.
chairs can be just as comfortable as couch's.

if you can afford a nice big 42" then you ácan get a nice big monitor as well.

same goes for the sound.

the graphics diffrences are bigger then you think. while they lied and said that the 360 is
the same as having a pc thats maxed, it dosnt. using even gamestops comparison you can
see that grass goes out farther and trees look nicer farther away. higher LOD.
and thats without the further tweaking options.
alan wake and bioshock are both gonna look better on pc. its just the way it is.

True, but honestly, would you rather play a game on a 17" screen or a 42" screen? I think you would be in denial if you said the 17".

And no, the graphics difference between the maxed out PC and the 360 is not big at all. The difference is there, but it really is nothing worth mentioning.

You cannot tell that Bioshock and Alan Wake will look better on PC until you play them. For all we know, they could look better on 360. Or they might be the same. We'll just have to wait and see.

and yes its more expensive. but not by that much.

You just said above that your 10-month old setup cost you $1400, and that you don't think you can run games like Bioshock maxed out! I would say that spending $1400, only to spend more money 1-2 years later is much more expensive than a $400 console you keep for 5 years.

damn it, i already said if you can afford a 42" then you can get a big monitor also. yeah i play on a 17CRT but i still enjoy it. playing COH on a 42" would be hell.

yeppers they will look better on pc, with 8Xsaa(SP?) alone.

no i don't think i can max out those games because they use DX10 i believe.
my card is a DX9 API so there for i couldnt max the games out beyond DX9 effects.
but guess what, the 360 dosnt have a full DX10 feature set either, while i have heard it has some of the capabilities. not to mention that the 360 has 512MB of system ram thats shared. the system and the gpu don't have independant ram.

i read in one of my game mags something that made a good amount of sense a quote from a game developer

"A Console is a snap shot of whatever a fast computer can do at the time of its release"

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2006, 04:49:19 pm »
My understanding of the cell processor tells me that it does in fact contain 8 processors. However, these processors are fine-tuned toward one task, by means of hardware or architecture or low-level software, I don't know. For example, one sub-processor handles shadows, while another lighting. The main one may sort everything out and carry out the actual programming. However, I do not believe each processor is as powerful as the next.

c14dude

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2006, 04:51:25 pm »
i hear its hard to program for  :'(

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2006, 04:54:14 pm »
Ah! Yes that was the problem they were talking about!

So what you are saying, Stuckin, is that each processor is only as powerful as it needs to be.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2006, 07:29:45 am »
i hear its hard to program forá :'(

Which was confirmed by Carmack and one of the programmers from Harmonix. Both said that the graphics comparisons would be a wash between 360 and PS3 due to the difficulty of getting the latter to perform at its projected levels.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2006, 05:21:17 pm »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
As the PS3 launch fast approaches I keep asking myself a very simple question ... why would I want to buy a PS3? And if I'm asking this question, a person who has owned every single game console released since the Telstar, the so-called "hardcore" segment that Sony is banking on to buy their $600 monstrosity, I have to wonder who is going to buy the PS3 and why? I keep thinking to myself, why do I need to buy a $600 console which doesn't offer me anything I don't already have?

Blu-Ray? I already have hundreds of DVDs thank you very much.

Online access? I already have the Internet and Xbox Live.

New games? I already have more games than I can play for my Xbox 360/PC/PS2/DS. The last thing I need is more games.

Unique PS3 titles? I will say that Resistance: Fall of Man looks and plays great ... but so does Gears of War. And Gears of War doesn't require me to buy a new console to play.

So why do I need to buy a PS3 exactly? Why should I kill myself looking for a PS3 this holiday season and spend $600 for this system? Why?

I can not think of a single reason that I would want to buy the PS3 right now. Not a single one.

Perhaps in a few months if/when the PS3 gets its legs and finds its place in the console landscape. But right now all I see when I look at the PS3 is a bloated, overpriced console which offers me nothing new. I truly hope that Sony manages to get their act together and releases some awesome unique content in 2007, but right now I just don't see the need.

Now the Wii ... that's a different story.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2006, 01:29:41 pm »
i will settle for The the WII and my P.CII

sorry . . . . . . . .  bad pun their. please don't throw feaces at me!!

the Ps3 is too expensive, i will settle for an awsome P.C
Never mind your own business.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2006, 01:40:50 pm »
the Ps3 is too expensive, i will settle for an awsome P.C

I believe the PS3 is way too expensive too, but an "awsome PC" is going to run you more than $600.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2006, 06:16:09 am »
But an awesome PC can do stuff other than play mediocre HD games.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2006, 10:11:25 am »
But an awesome PC can do stuff other than play mediocre HD games.

That's a touch unfair: White Knight Story, MGS IV, and Heavenly Sword don't strike me as mediocre. But, YMMV.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2006, 06:36:33 pm »
I havent heard of them (except MGS)

so they cant be THAT great.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2006, 07:00:12 pm »
Found a new one. I need to find the link on it, but I'll tell you it as I find it

Grand Turismo HD is a real game. However, 90% of the game you have to buy online. Each thing costs anywhere from $.50 to $5.00.

Meaning if you want everything in the game, it will cost you around $400.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2006, 10:19:13 pm »
Found a new one. I need to find the link on it, but I'll tell you it as I find it

Grand Turismo HD is a real game. However, 90% of the game you have to buy online. Each thing costs anywhere from $.50 to $5.00.

Meaning if you want everything in the game, it will cost you around $400.

:D

I saw this too!

The game will ship with no cars or tracks!

Then, you have to download each individual car for something like $0.67, and tracks for a few dollars.

Microsoft even made note of it, and at X06 touted that Forza Motorsport 2 will ship with over 300 cars "on disk".

That was a giant "screw you" to Sony. :D