Author Topic: Randomness.  (Read 5597 times)

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Randomness.
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »
Okay now, we all know we get to create EVERYTHING on Spore.
But there is one thing that bothers me a bit. The whole "strange pinky planet" thing. Obviously, when you emerge out of the primordial soup, it basically means that either your planet is created randomly (through scripts) or chosen randomly from pre-created planets.

Which means that when you get to the creature stage, you can end up on a pinky psychedelic planet, or a grey rocky planet.
But how much of a chance would that be, out of the about 2 million planets that you planet is weird ?

This is for me very exciting and a bit disturbing. You never know what you home planet initially will look like, but it also means that your planet is absolutely not something you want it to look.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Millsy111

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Randomness.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 01:21:45 pm »
I won't mind personally. I think not knowing what the planet is going to look like adds to the fun. I know some people (reading articles in the CC) would prefer a to choose a planet, or at least get some say in the matter so that it matches their creature's history.

But, meh.  ???

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:24:55 pm »
I won't mind personally. I think not knowing what the planet is going to look like adds to the fun. I know some people (reading articles in the CC) would prefer a to choose a planet, or at least get some say in the matter so that it matches their creature's history.

But, meh.  ???

I think the choosing a planet should be an option however that linakage to history is only an issue if you've already created a creature. If you however feel the need to evolve a creature from scratch a random planet would be freaking great! i for one would like to see both options in the game.

Offline Khornel

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:28:05 pm »
That makes up for an awesome planet hunt later in the game, finding a more cool planet and adjusting to it or the other way around. Or it would give inspiration to make a creature that fits the design of the planet.
Though, it would kinda bother me to look at a pink screen through the first stages.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:39:48 pm »
For some reason, I'm under the impression that other planets besides your home planet will be strange, funky ones. Your home planet will be basically what was shown in the demo. Since nearly everyone is okay starting out on a planet that is similar to Earth, its features will be purposely familiar. The kooky ones will become available once you most likely leave your own solar system.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:04 pm »
i acctually dont mind having an unknown world of different creatures that i have never seen before on a weird planet is ok

i hope that they made it out of pure randomness

now the only complaint is after awhile my eyes will hurt from all that purple!
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »
From what ive heard (and god knows that they've changed things around so many times who knows what in the game for sure) is that the planet is tailored to your creature.Especially since the selling point is how open ended the editing is it would be a shame that you have the same planet each time you start. How they do this i have no idea but i like the idea of having a new planet style each time i start a new creature.

Offline LlamaMan

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 01:51:35 pm »
From what ive heard (and god knows that they've changed things around so many times who knows what in the game for sure) is that the planet is tailored to your creature.Especially since the selling point is how open ended the editing is it would be a shame that you have the same planet each time you start. How they do this i have no idea but i like the idea of having a new planet style each time i start a new creature.

This would also be my guess.  How you develop you creature shapes your world.  Though is not realistic, as it is thought that life adapts to the environment and not vice-versa, I think it is the best way to go.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »
Hmmm, what kind of world does a "kind-of-a-Slug" need?

In the light of the recent demos it is clear that this is not the case, the world doesn't adapt to your creature since you make the cearture only after it has crawled onto land.
<<<< Click to enter.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 02:06:58 pm »
From what ive heard (and god knows that they've changed things around so many times who knows what in the game for sure) is that the planet is tailored to your creature. Especially since the selling point is how open ended the editing is it would be a shame that you have the same planet each time you start. How they do this i have no idea but i like the idea of having a new planet style each time i start a new creature.

This would also be my guess. How you develop you creature shapes your world.  Though is not realistic, as it is thought that life adapts to the environment and not vice-versa, I think it is the best way to go.

This is confirmed. Humans are the only creatures that adapt their environment to suit their life, because our evolution/advancement left us without the nessessary natural defences and weapons an animal in the jungle requires to survive.

I think that your planet adapting to your creature is a great idea though. If you create a fluffy cute creature, your planet should, as you progess through the creature and tribal stages, turn out vibrant and bizzare with lots of trees and crazy colors. If you create a menacing dark predatory  creature like I plan to, my world should slowly become darker and more jagged and pointy in land formations and give off a harsh and spooky feeling, by darkening the soil and decreasing the foliage (or increasing it into a dense dark jungle-type world). I would find something like that facinating. It might promote people to create more herbivors just to keep their world bright, because a planet ruled by feirce predators seems like it would be gloomier.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 03:20:36 pm »
This is confirmed.
I don't think SpaceOddity was confused about the theory of evolution...

And no, it hasn't been confirmed / considered scientific law like Newton's universal gravity. Bacteria micro-evolve by trading plasmids and by reproducing in numbers and frequency magnitudes larger than what we're used to, but that's a whole other story than evolution in higher organisms.

Humans are the only creatures that adapt their environment to suit their life...
+ =

But for the most part you're correct. Did the evolution of the camel's hump decimate ancient African forests, turning them into deserts?  ::)

I'd rather my planet's environment changed and I had to adapt to it by, in an ice age, adding fur and changing to a mouth that could scrape nutrients from the tundra in the case of a herbivore; or, as the poles bagan to melt, becoming able to swim and changing my mouth to a long fish-catcher in the case of a carnivore (in the expansion  ;) ); etc.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem starting on a wierd planet and not "just another" Earth. After a while it would grow on me and become mine as I added to it, which is the whole point.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:09:34 am by gbCerberus »
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Drakkelian

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:44:29 am »
I think they said that where you start the Creature Game is determined by your actions in the Cell Game, so maybe there has to be a certain set of statistics you have to meet to have your creature start on the crazy pink planet.

Also, when they've shown the game just entering the creature phase, the planets look exactly same as they do later on. So the planet you start on is determined before you've even made your creature (the guy at Leipzig said that you'll start the creature game as a kind of amorphous slug thing, which you then sculpt into your creature).

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:38 am »
I think they said that where you start the Creature Game is determined by your actions in the Cell Game, so maybe there has to be a certain set of statistics you have to meet to have your creature start on the crazy pink planet.
That's actually perfectly reasonable, to a degree. Cyanobacteria radically altered Earth's atmosphere more than 3 billion years ago (some souces say as much as 3.8 billion years ago) by producing Oxygen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_atmosphere#The_evolution_of_the_Earth.27s_atmosphere

Its kind of funny, that. Alien astrobiologists would have overlooked early Earth if they were just looking for Oxygen and water oceans...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:19:23 am by gbCerberus »
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 12:37:31 pm »
if you dont like your home planet from the start just start over....you do have to do the cell stage over again...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 10:32:41 pm »
I don't think I could restart if I didn't like the home planet...  part of it is discovery, not just discovery of the outer world/worlds but discovery of your own world.  If I was to start on a crazy pink planet it would probably have a drastic effect on my creatures, what they look like and how I play them.  It's as much self discovery as it is exploration.

Actually, I know that it would have a serious effect on the appearances of everything I make, since I plan to consider camouflage in all my creations...  and also, think how cool a crazy spikey scary world would be if you had spent all time previous evolving on a cute pink world  :p