Author Topic: Draconian Race  (Read 8913 times)

Offline AnnoyedDragon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Draconian Race
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:13:59 pm »
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. All the concept art on here inspired me to give it a go, so here is the creature I intend to make in the game ;D

Race Name: Draconian

Creature name Draconian from 1994 PC strategy game Master of Magic.

Home Planet: Dragoon

Dragoon was once a flourishing Eden with diverse animal and plant life, however when a meteor hit the planet that all changed. Almost all life was wiped out during the catastrophe leaving the planet mainly consisting of endless deserts of ash and stone, very little water and vegetation remains on the surface but is just enough to support life that has adapted itself to this new world.

However when the meteor hit it forced previously unknown minerals to the surface of the planet, since then the strange properties of these minerals has affected all life on the face of Dragoon.

Lifespan: 120-140 years

Height: 6ft - 6ft 4

Diet: Omnivore

Weapons: Teeth, claw, tail claw, tools.

Evolution Path:

(1) Tide pool phase aquatic form, fins allow movement in water while head crest is curved to reduce friction during movement. The creatures eyesight is weak however so it is relent on sonar to navigate its environment.

(2) Entering the creature phase fins have transformed into limbs allowing movement on land, the tails fin has shrank and dorsal fin has particularly detached from the back. Eyes has enlarged for better vision, the antenna on the creatures head has started to lengthen, ears have started to form and its crest has shortened to allow easier head movement.

(3) As the creature continues to adapt to life on land his spine adjusts upright freeing four limbs, this allows the fins to formed into clawed hands and the remaining two into feet. The tail fin has started to harden into a sharp point that can be used to attack prey, the dorsal fin has split and started to form small wings but they are still too weak to be used for flight. The antenna has lengthened even more and is now covered in grey feathers, combined with the developing ears and eyesight the creature is much more adapt to survive on land.

(4) Now walking in a upward digitrade stance the creature has reached the end of its evolutionary path. Wings and antenna have fully developed, senses are as sharp as they will ever be, the spike on the end of the tail has sharpened and curved to allow the tearing of flesh. The creature is ready for the tribal phase.

Description:

Creature Phase:

Draconians are sleek skinned reptilian creatures that rely on group social structures to survive the harsh wastelands of their planet. They are capable of melee combat but prefer flight combined with the spike on their tail when hunting; they achieve this by swooping down on their prey and impaling them with their tail like a spear, once successful they pull the prey into the air and carry them to an area were they can be consumed safely. Larger creatures can also be hunted when moving in packs, even though their diet mainly consists of meat they consume whatever organic materials that can be found.

Tribal Phase:

When a tribe is formed huts are constructed out of pelts and moulded crystal sap, plant life is too precious to destroy for building materials. Because of this many of the materials used for buildings, tools and weapons are constructed out of metallic particles sieved from the soil, bone and crystal mineral sap. What food is not acquired from the wastelands is grown on tribe land; Kreen weeds are harvested for their sap and their seeds for jewellery, the seeds also serve as a food source should hunters become lost while outside of tribe grounds.

Civilisation Phase:

Technologically advanced cities are able to process raw crystal mineral in mass, as one of the plentiful materials on the planet it is purified to be tougher and used for the construction of many buildings, vehicles and devices. When made large enough and combined with other elements they can also be used for air transportation vehicles without the need for liquid fuel. Due to low availability of other resources on Dragoon recycling is mandatory and all technology is built with durability and longevity in mind.

Citizens live in tall towers that sprout into individual living quarters to maximise space usage, this is required as the cities boundaries are limited by giant domes that protect the inhabitants from dust storms. Due to the risks of regular travel through the wastelands each city is connected by underground highways, however travel on the surface is not prohibited to those who wish to risk it. Even though much of Draconian life takes place in these protective domes there are many jobs going to work outside the cities walls; city officials pay well to anyone willing to brave the outside world to work in mines, scavenger groups and water extraction facilities but it is wildly known that this is danger pay.

Space Phase:

Though centuries of advancement has made sustaining civilisations on Dragoon possible its world leaders are not blind that the planet is almost entirely dead. Quickly growing population levels caused by the safety of city life, tightening food rations and the squabbling between cities over available resources is pushing life on the planet to its limits. A joint space program is under development not to explore the vastness of space but instead to locate worlds with liveable ecosystems. Dragoon will always be home, but without access to additional resources a world war may erupt damaging the fragile balance of civilisation on the planet.

Plant Life:

Kreen are a type of weed that feeds off crystal mineral deposits, the plant produces its seeds at the end of fine threads and dangles them to be eaten by animal life. The minerals can be extracted in liquid form from the plants sap and hardened using heat, this allows for the production of the mineral in any desired shape pre industrial age. The seeds of the plant look like large frozen rain drops and are often harvested for jewellery.

Technology:

Sword: Primitive weapon made using a crystal shard cut to be sharp, the swords hilt is in two pieces locking the shard in place and uses leather straps to hold it all together. (I messed up this pic)

Flying vehicle: It was discovered that placing the crystals in contact with a energy source caused it to float and when combined with different frequency levels can provide directional force. A trait that was exploited in the creation of flying vehicles.

UFO: First generation space fairing vehicle.

Machine - Repair Bot: These small arachnid like devices climbs the side of buildings to repair erosion damage. A tube running out of its back provides a constant supply of the elements Draconian structures are composed of, once repaired the liquid mixture hardens quickly.

Buildings:

Living Quarters: Land restrictions force Draconian structures to be space efficient, it is not uncommon for rooms to be held suspended from the ground in pod like structures. Each pod contains a living area for one family, single person pods are often split into smaller rooms to maximise available accommodation. Should individuals desire open social environments the roof contains an artificial park housing genetically engineered vegetation.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:45:39 am by AnnoyedDragon »

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: Draconian Race
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:17:37 pm »
oooh, i like  :)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:18:28 pm »
Woah, Its like some sort furrie, that actually DOESINT suck!

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 06:29:08 pm »
Too much dragon, not enough action.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:49:48 pm »
Not another ... *gets beat up before finishing speaking*

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:06:58 pm »
I suggest modification of the name, and that is all I suggest.

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:14:53 pm »
Woah, Its like some sort furrie, that actually DOESINT suck!
You mean dragon. I really don't mind them being dragons, but I don't think that 5 numbers and 91 words really is enough. Unlike most people I'm not that wavered by pictures alone, whether they be 2D or 3D. If you would like to put more details about them at least, like more on culture,  stuff on their solar system, how they evolved and such then that would be nice. Also the name could be a little more original, but original. is really hard so I understand that.
Unless you just wanted to tell people about it and decide on letting the experience of your playing decide all that, but in that case you might not want to try to guide their bodies in the first place. Now if you are still reading, then the point summed up is that I would like to hear more about them. However you can afford to ignore me because the vast majority of people only care about pretty pictures. So you can still have them liked, anyway if you can't be bothered to go through that then just take the below.

Nice pic's!

What will you do?

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 08:43:44 pm »
you are suck

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 08:44:03 pm »
Nice Drawings man, keep up the good work!
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »
love the drawlings! Make as many dragons as you want because the people that are speaking above me dont know anything and like to keep the noobs out. I was criticized when i got here, just lift your chin up and go right on through!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:38:20 pm by Netherflare »
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 09:15:16 pm »
your going to get alot for stealing ideas. i personly like it how ever
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline Genesis

• Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 09:28:05 pm »
love the drawlings! Make as many dragons as you want because the ppl that are speaking above me dont know anything and like to keep the noobs out. I was critized when i got here, just lift your chin up and go right on through
Spellcheck is your friend. ;)

You see that, that was an example of keeping noobs out, (Which is a good thing actually, as opposed to keeping newbs out. But I won't go into that.) and being critical. I was trying to get AD to put more backstory into it and etc, read the entire post to get a good idea of it. Anyway I am not trying to keep AD out, I'm trying to help and welcome AD in.

What will you do?

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 09:39:13 pm »
im sorry that i misspelt 1 word

Offline Genesis

• Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 09:46:34 pm »
I wasn't really being critical of you, that was just an example. You did read my post the entire way through right? I couldn't care less about spelling really, as long as I can understand it its fine.

What will you do?

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 10:01:44 pm »
yeah, i always read everyone post from begining to end because you could possibly give your reason at the end of the statement. If you just read someone first sentence that says something like "I hate you" then people are all going to become beserk and start getting mad and stuff, but if you read till the end, it could say "because they took your wife/husband away" and you would never know!

Offline Genesis

• Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 10:05:15 pm »
Good, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said sorry, natural pessimist habit. On the bright side our hijacking brought the thread up to page 2!  :DMaybe we should stop the hijacking.

What will you do?

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 12:13:06 am »
I think the good drawings balance it out.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 12:59:41 am »
nice nice nice! nice art!!!  :D :D i love it!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 07:22:00 am »

Good drawings should never balance it out, but they always will.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 07:37:07 am »
I am all for new races... when they are CREATIVE. ORIGINAL. NEW.

If this guy is here and wants to do his own thing and isn't expecting or wanting opinions on his work, all the better too him. I can respect that.

But if he is here and wants praise for his unoriginal dragons we've seen a billion times, he will not get it from me. I spit at thee good sir. And if I see these abhorations in Spore, I will slaughter them ruthlessly without hesitation.

how original are the Peski's?

Offline AnnoyedDragon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 04:42:34 pm »
I agree that there isn't that much information so I have updated the first post.

If anyone has any ideas feel free to mention them :)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 04:54:50 pm »

Good drawings should never balance it out, but they always will.

It's not the drawings that do the balancing, its the effort.

Why Necro thinks that effort is only in the originality is beyond me. Many original races have lived, but they didn't have anything to back it up.

You, however, get a B for effort, which is pretty good considering its your first post. The drawings are carefully and well done, however, as time progresses, be sure to maintain drawing quality and create a very interesting backstory. Creature designs are terribly
difficult to innovate in, while history is much easier. As long as you have a thorough history, you're fine. I only wish my thread got this much attention. (It's not discontinued, BTW, just don't have much time) And I'd say I had unique everythin.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 07:07:12 pm »
I am all for new races... when they are CREATIVE. ORIGINAL. NEW.

If this guy is here and wants to do his own thing and isn't expecting or wanting opinions on his work, all the better too him. I can respect that.

But if he is here and wants praise for his unoriginal dragons we've seen a billion times, he will not get it from me. I spit at thee good sir. And if I see these abhorations in Spore, I will slaughter them ruthlessly without hesitation.

how original are the Peski's?

Original enough. Closest thing to Triffids we have so far, thus they are a-ok.

ok, i just looked up what the Triffids are, and the picture was a tree growing out of a piece of crap?

thanks for the encouragement...

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 07:46:19 pm »
Necro's just being cool so ignore him haha. I havent been on the forum in like 3 months so i dont know much about the young races but I'll take a look at your Peski's and rate em.
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 08:11:34 pm »
Firstly, Necro, your using the wrong word, hes a newb, not a n00b, refere to this comic http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060823

Secondly, hey, he's doing preety good for his very first post in the Spore forum, its not like some of these Great, and awesome creatures are so original

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 08:22:38 pm »
Necro's just being cool so ignore him haha. I havent been on the forum in like 3 months so i dont know much about the young races but I'll take a look at your Peski's and rate em.

well, right before you left then i posted by Peski's

Offline AnnoyedDragon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 01:12:59 pm »
If someone is interested in creating a certain type of creature does it really matter if it is considered original or not? It is all in good fun after all.

Anyway a description has been added, the flying vehicle has been updated with weaponry and a machine has been added.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 02:29:45 pm »
Lol, I love you guys completely misinterpret what I'm saying.

1. He is a n00b, not a newb. A newb would have posted something original and interesting, neither of which I personally find in this creature. To me, he is n00bish, and trying to push the limits of my patience.

2. I meant Peski's were like Triffids because they have "feathers" that look like leaves comming out of them, making them seem like living trees. Triffids are cool, as are Peski.
So basically if you don't like someone's creature they're stupid.

You're a ****ing nubsauce.

Well they ARE incredibly generic and uninspired.....

And don't call Necro nubsauce, he's 10x more the sauce you'll ever be.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 02:45:33 pm »
Necro you need to get a life. Everyone comes on here to share ideas (and if this one is made so what? I personally like it), not to be criticized. If you don't like it you can say so, but you don't need to be a totall jackass on the comment. Go away, nobody likes you. I don't even know how you haven't gotten banned...

You're the scum of society Necro, sitting in the trash heap. You're just angry at other people for creating something better than you ever could. Oh wait you created the Necromonicon. Forgot about that... That wasn't n00bish at all, because they were the "strongest" creatures after growing up on a lava world. They were designed only to kill. That was creative...
Any halfwit could have come up with that and while dragons aren't the most orginal design they are way better than your creature/s could ever dream of becoming.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:59:33 pm by josasa »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 03:02:45 pm »
1.  To Jo: I asked to be banned and they couldn't even get that right.

2. To Xar: It's not my fault I just have better taste than you.

3. I said my peice, so let's stop spamming this topic, because the very first post already qualified it as spam in my opinion, and spam times spam cannot equal anything good.

If you asked to be banned why don't you just stop posting? Or are you just too stupid to figure it out. Why would you care whether we spam or not on a thread you don't like? We're not spamming were saying that we like the creature and then you're flaming us for that. What're you trying to prove? That you're bi-polar and have no brain?

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 03:05:16 pm »
Necro: I request that you delete your posts from this topic. In return, I will also delete mine. AD does not need this kind of drama on his first board, and I apologize for it, AD.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 03:14:18 pm »
Necro stop being a jerk and let this guy post about his creature. I dont see why people wanted you back in the first place :-\

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 03:23:56 pm »
Look If this guy wants a 4 armed dragon then let him have It, I think It's great, It's quite original, at least It Isn't dragony colours and It doesn't breath fire and stuff like that, even If you don't think It's original It doesn't matter, as long as he likes his creature and It makes him happy then let him have It. I'd quite like to meet this race of carnivorous dragons...even though my race are 4-6 foot long herbivores which are almost Invincible.

Offline AnnoyedDragon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 07:43:37 am »
Glad to see everything has calmed down :)

Only one item in this update since it took a while to make, living quarters building has been added.