Author Topic: The Official Game Creation Topic!  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
Re: The Official Game Creation Topic!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:07 pm »
...you can get it from my site: http://www.meyermike.com/viewgame.php?id=7
or were you saying that my site is broken? I'll go take a look...

No it used to be on the sidebars on DarkBasic's site - i think for one of the competitions maybe... but it isn't in their game gallery any more. I found it on your site again :)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2005, 02:13:17 pm »
I know Java, and can create simple applet or application based games.  Check my website (xanga) for some of the stuff I did so far.

Here's an interesting page I found about terrain generation: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/27recursion/

It also shows how to recursively draw plasma clouds and other goodies.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 11:35:49 am »
whatever it is, please give some kind of nod off to this fourm! lol.

(and it would be nice if the game were sci-fi themed. just a suggestion.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 10:51:38 am »
I would really LOVE a good space trader game. Trade Wars is probably the best currently IMO. I remember one from a long time ago that was pretty good as well but I can't find it. Something Pirates.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 02:14:16 pm »
Did anyone ever play Diaspora? It's some old space game that died a long time ago. I last played it about seven years ago when I first got my computer (nice old Windows 95 that ran slow as hell). It was more like a graphical MUD than anything else.
Your two options were to either be a pirate and blow weaklings up (because you certainly couldn't take on stronger players), or go around and trade stuff between planets. I thought it was pretty good.
Then there's Freelancer. I've got a server for that. I wish it was a little better, but it's still pretty fun.

It'd be nice if we could come up with some kind of basic trading model, and work from there.
I've been screwing around in Game Maker for a while. Made some really simple platformers. As for programming some kind of fluctuating market with supply and demand and all that... no idea where to start.
I'd love to though. This is why Uncharted Waters 2 is my favorite game of all time.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 07:42:24 pm »
I like the economic model in trade wars because you always buy cheap and sell high. You get to be the middleman and make the big $$$bling$$$.

Offline DarkLordofChaosX

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2005, 04:20:39 pm »
hey guys,
If you need a programmer in Java, I could help you out there. And of possible relevance, I already have sort of a 2d physics engine, with collisions, gravity, forces and such. But right now the whole thing only works with balls. Hope I can help out a bit. I just finished taking AP Comp Sci in high school, and I do some coding on my own.
-Dark
Monkeys with guns? :-D

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2005, 05:04:48 pm »
I wish my high school offered AP comp sci. They have EVERYTHING else, but not that. I was going to take the exam anyways but then I found out that it's all in Java.

Offline DarkLordofChaosX

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2005, 05:10:38 pm »
yeah, thats rough. A suprisingly large amount of schools dont offer AP CS, its a shame. Really one of my favorite courses i ever took. Java is somewhat easy to learn on your own however.
Monkeys with guns? :-D

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2005, 05:52:18 pm »
Yeah, I've seen (and heard) enough Java code from my friends to know that it's enough like C++ that I could learn it quickly.