Author Topic: The Official Game Creation Topic!  (Read 13479 times)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Game Creation Topic!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 06:34:37 pm »
I got an idea for a procuduraly generated content game. It could basically be these huge random worlds with hills and trees and water where there are procedurally generated tanks, boats and planes which are constantly fighting.

The actual gameplay would have you starting out watching the fight, moving the camera around. Once you find a vehicle you would like to control, you simply click on it. Then it controls like a 3D action vehicle game. When your vehicle dies, the camera could pull back out allowing you to select another vehicle. This could also be used as some kind of screensaver.

One thing we could do is make it open source so people can contribute to it and make the vehicle editors.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 06:48:29 pm »
I don't know much about making games but my cousins in Poland are programmers (I think five know how) and when I go to Poland over the summer I'll ask them about it. My idea is a simple game where you are a jellyfish and you edit that jellyfish like spore and you go around zapping other jellyfish and a point system is set up for how much you have eaten and you spend the points on unlockables. Of couse, it can be 2-D as if it were in an aquarium or 3-D as if it were an ocean. Then again, it can be a simple fish or something.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 07:36:39 pm »
well i have no clue on how to make a game but i have good ideas and stuff like that. How bout a game where you just play a cell like thing like the begging of spore, but all you do is make your creature better and etc.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 07:38:06 pm »
I think it would be neat to do it procedurally, if anyone knows how to do that. Maybe we could make our own simple creature creator?

You mean like an editor?

Offline Dmd

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 07:42:13 pm »
I know enough C++ to make a text based RPG with no sound and no picture, but thats it.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 07:54:33 pm »
I'm making a game!

1 sec...

http://villageoffools.ionichost.com/daskreigmanual.txt

Might be better to download, THEN view, heh. The file's mostly a planning tool for me, hence the incompletion.

I hope this has to do with the topic, I didn't really read it well. (By well I mean at all.)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 03:44:22 am »
Wow!

My internet went out last night shortly after I made the post about potentially starting this project.

Um, I still have to get ready for work this morning so apologies for not reading all of this thread before posting, I'll come back on my lunch break and do that. 

I agree that 2d is usually the the best way to go for folks just starting out making a game, but it is also much harder to make something that will make people think "cool!" in 2d.  I have the beginnings of a game engine that I have been working on, very crude at the moment, but I did write a plugin for 3d Studio to export to my format, and it loads the animations in and plays them, and you can move the camera around.  not impresive, but a start.  My plans, before the idea of making it a forum project, were to make a series of small games that built up to what the "final" one would be.  That is, if I run with my idea of this LAN co-op superhero game I would make a first game out of just flying, then a game out of multiplayer competitive flying(prolly a race to collect floating stuff), then a game with co-op against some enemies...etc.  The advantage is that at any point after the first iteration you have a game to show people, the disadvantage is that you are stopping to get it presentable at each stage before it is anywhere near "done".

This is pretty exciting!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 04:45:17 am »
Yay!   :)

Can't wait until you get home from work.

PS gravball is really fun

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:38:39 am »
http://3das.noeska.com/download.aspx is the best game creator I've seen so far(for 3D point & click adventures), but I just started looking this morning. I actually started a thread hoping to get more suggestions on how to make your own games (no one's posted anything yet, but here it is: http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=692.0;topicseen)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 07:35:41 am »
Thanks, Ovi!  The Gravball game on my website is actually a remake of one of my first games ever.

Glad to see you guys are interested in making games!

I started another thread about brainstoming ideas:
http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=704.0

and while that goes I'll be thinking about how we could make this sort of development work...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 01:29:57 pm »
Not sure how i missed this thread, but I actually make curriculum to teach middle school and high school kids how to make 3d games... I Use DarkBASIC... I was also making my own engine in ActionScript, and I'm now working with a demo team to do more in C++... so if anyone comes up with a coherent game design, I know the programming to flesh out some simple ideas...

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 02:52:26 pm »
Hmm... I dunno if there just isn't the interest to do it or whether people are waiting for me to organize something.  I'll go bump the game ideas thread and see what happens. 

I am using C++ and OpenGL for my current project.  I got my start with DarkBasic.  It's really great if you already know some programming and want to get started in making games, but it becomes a real pain to work with on larger projects.

Not sure how i missed this thread, but I actually make curriculum to teach middle school and high school kids how to make 3d games... I Use DarkBASIC... I was also making my own engine in ActionScript, and I'm now working with a demo team to do more in C++... so if anyone comes up with a coherent game design, I know the programming to flesh out some simple ideas...
That's awesome!  Where do you teach?  Are you hiring?!?!
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 07:49:58 am »
Hmm... I dunno if there just isn't the interest to do it or whether people are waiting for me to organize something. I'll go bump the game ideas thread and see what happens.

I am using C++ and OpenGL for my current project. I got my start with DarkBasic. It's really great if you already know some programming and want to get started in making games, but it becomes a real pain to work with on larger projects.

That's awesome! Where do you teach? Are you hiring?!?!

If you've read anything about I Support Learning and the Video Game Development curriculum that was in the DarkBasic newsletter, that's the curriculum we did. We're working on a bunch of other things like music video production, residential home desing, robots and invention, and tons more. Not really hiring right now - we're a small company. I love squest and was dissapointed I couldn't find it on the site to redownload it later - glad to see it's still out there!

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 07:57:20 am »
I never did sign up for the newsletter...I'm gonna leave myself a note to check that stuff out when I get home from work.

I love squest and was dissapointed I couldn't find it on the site to redownload it later - glad to see it's still out there!

...you can get it from my site: http://www.meyermike.com/viewgame.php?id=7
or were you saying that my site is broken?  I'll go take a look...
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 09:09:31 am »
I've used this program personally, and can honestly say it is a PERFECT 2d game creator. www.clickteam.com (The Games Factory).
And if you want a much more advanced program, that can do everything that TGF does and more- Multimedia Fusion on the same site. I've started lots of games on TGF, but never completed one due to my inherent laziness.
Try it out and tell me what you think.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on