Author Topic: The Official Game Creation Topic!  (Read 13473 times)

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
The Official Game Creation Topic!
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:21:05 pm »
This can be the base for all the ideas and communication for the proposed creation of some kind of game by the forum members, even though this wasn't my idea (you have Borogove to thank for that) i felt we needed a seperate post instead of hijacking others!

So anyway, post your ideas, and intrest if you want to help us out or join the team!(that is if theres enough intrest for this to go ahead!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:45:06 pm by Gandysampras »

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Game Creation Topic!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 05:35:47 pm »
Just something I was saying in response to this...

Hmmmmm..... I think that the game idea is actually a great idea. To bad I don't know jack about programming! Well anyhoo The game would need to be similar to Will's games but at the same time new and possibly intriguing. Must think....

Well...

If you want to get noticed, why not pull an idea completely out of left field? Something nobody has thought of, and make it work. History is not made by those that duplicate the greatness of others, but by those that create the original greatness.

That being said, I propose a game nobody's thought of yet, something new and inventive... no, I don't have any ideas.
Since when is being "normal" a requirement for survival? Exactly.
"Is it funny? No? Not interested."

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 05:38:05 pm »
I think it should be a very simple game. Maybe if we find find a programmer, we could make a game using simple procedural generation as a tribute to Will Wright?

Obviously the game would be 2D so its easier to make.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:39:40 pm »
I hope this "game" takes off the ground. I have never been involved with creating a game (except for bard games) and I think it would be fun.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:41:39 pm »
I suppose that we could start with something very very simple (eg flash) and the progress from there, what do you guys think?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 05:43:12 pm »
What kind of game would it be? I think we need an idea of what the game will be about before we can do much else.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 05:44:54 pm »
Thats what this post is here for!If you have a concept then great, post it!

And if not then post which game type (eg platformer) you would most like to see!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:43 pm »
I think it should be a very simple game. Maybe if we find find a programmer, we could make a game using simple procedural generation as a tribute to Will Wright?

I think it would be neat to do it procedurally, if anyone knows how to do that. Maybe we could make our own simple creature creator?

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 05:49:01 pm »
Hmm... brilliant! Start small, then work your way up to something, oh... to say the least, worthwhile. Starting huge for your first attempt is a surefire way to either crash and burn, or rocket to greatness, though the odds for failure increase exponentially as the size of the project increases. Start small, get a basis on what you can do, then overshoot that by a larger amount each time.

That being said, I have a small idea for where to start. If you start with something involving procedural technology, why not just a simple platformer with characters you can customize? Probably a bit much for the first attempt, but it would be good for later.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 05:54:09 pm »
That being said, I have a small idea for where to start. If you start with something involving procedural technology, why not just a simple platformer with characters you can customize? Probably a bit much for the first attempt, but it would be good for later.

We would need to develop a way for the characters to "walk" procedurally, similar to the way Spore figures out how the creatures walk. Then we could add all the option for customizing after.

At least I think I really don't know a thing about programming.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:54:54 pm »
That procedural stuff with non 3D type games would be quite difficult I think.
EDIT: Seeing as it involves a lot of math with the bone structure. It sounds like in Spore, the procedural stuff and the customization go hand in hand.
That is, if you folks are thinking about a 2D game. I think a platformer (hopefully a sidescrolling platformer if possible) would be a good place to begin.

There's Game Maker. I was thinking about getting back into that. I'm not terribly good at it, but I thought I'd give it another shot; since I'm a bit brainier than the last time I tried it (a few years ago), scripting should be a bit easier.
I'll go see soon and get back to you.

And I guess I'm a fair spriter too, though committing myself to a project has always been a difficulty with me. I'm so lazy.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:58:05 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 05:57:12 pm »
That procedural stuff with non 3D type games would be quite difficult I think.
EDIT: Seeing as it involves a lot of math with the bone structure. It sounds like in Spore, the procedural stuff and the customization go hand in hand.
That is, if you folks are thinking about a 2D game. I think a platformer (hopefully a sidescrolling platformer if possible) would be a good place to begin.

It doesn't have to be 2D, if it is easier to do it 3D then why not? Again I don't know anything about programming games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:06:37 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 06:12:06 pm »
And I couldn't program to save my life, so... well, first off, we'll need to figure out who can do what, cook up an idea, then look for somebody that actually knows something about how to program.

Though for the easiest part of this all would be getting ideas. Harder, though, would be getting GOOD ideas. Ideas actually worth putting into production. But, as always, start small and work your way up from there.

Anyhow, 3D sounds good, but trying to make a full 3D game at first may be a bit much, a 3D game that's played across a visibly 2D world (3D graphics all around, but played along a plane... much like Super Smash Bros., if you know the game's system. You play along the X and Y axes of the game, though the Z is visible, it's all but useless aside from for graphics.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 06:23:42 pm »
First of all, I'm not well versed in 3D, so just keep that in mind while I spout of a bunch of stuff that may not make much sense.

For 3D, you'll need some kind of engine to run the game in, you'll need a 3D editing program for building the environments and for character models, you'll need to come up with (probably) hand-made animations for the bones, and you will need textures.
It may not sound like a lot, but that's quite a bit of stuff. And work.

I've got some weird program that I got with SimCity 4 called GMax (or maybe I got it off the SimCity website. It's a content developing thing.). It's pretty much 3D Studio Max except... named differently. It can do animations and stuff.
Too bad that animation course I took at high school was complete crap. That's no help.

But yeah, I'm bound to just go on and make a crappy little 2D game with Game Maker here just so you can get a few visual ideas on the 2D end. If the thing even works properly, I'll post a link. (note that this may take awhile so don't hold your breath)
Just need to find a place to host exe files that doesn't charge money...

EDIT: The game I am making is a simple little thing. A simple top-down thing currently, you control a red ball with a weird smile. I'm going to make it able to shoot some weird projectile (maybe a bottle or something), and I'm going to program a few baddies that walk around aimlessly.
Nothing major so far. I've seen some sweet stuff out of Game Maker, and if someone here has the time, they oughta give it a look.
It has two modes of game creation: there's a click and drag interface (if any of you are familiar with Klik 'n Play, it's like that). There is also an easy to learn scripting thing.
See, if I knew enough, I'd be working on some physics and gravity type stuff.
But not just yet... eventually though.
And sorry if I'm hijacking the thread  :-\. I'm not trying to stop the rest of you folks from coming up with ideas. This isn't THE project we're all doing, but merely a sample, and I do hope you'll all do samples of your own (with the Flash or Visual Basic or whatever stuff you may have available to you).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:45:47 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:28:49 pm »
I will wait patiently.  :)

Just out of curiosity, what are you making? *a game* I don't know what else to ask until I see something.

But I will wait patiently.  :)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 06:34:37 pm »
I got an idea for a procuduraly generated content game. It could basically be these huge random worlds with hills and trees and water where there are procedurally generated tanks, boats and planes which are constantly fighting.

The actual gameplay would have you starting out watching the fight, moving the camera around. Once you find a vehicle you would like to control, you simply click on it. Then it controls like a 3D action vehicle game. When your vehicle dies, the camera could pull back out allowing you to select another vehicle. This could also be used as some kind of screensaver.

One thing we could do is make it open source so people can contribute to it and make the vehicle editors.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 06:48:29 pm »
I don't know much about making games but my cousins in Poland are programmers (I think five know how) and when I go to Poland over the summer I'll ask them about it. My idea is a simple game where you are a jellyfish and you edit that jellyfish like spore and you go around zapping other jellyfish and a point system is set up for how much you have eaten and you spend the points on unlockables. Of couse, it can be 2-D as if it were in an aquarium or 3-D as if it were an ocean. Then again, it can be a simple fish or something.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 07:36:39 pm »
well i have no clue on how to make a game but i have good ideas and stuff like that. How bout a game where you just play a cell like thing like the begging of spore, but all you do is make your creature better and etc.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 07:38:06 pm »
I think it would be neat to do it procedurally, if anyone knows how to do that. Maybe we could make our own simple creature creator?

You mean like an editor?

Offline Dmd

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 07:42:13 pm »
I know enough C++ to make a text based RPG with no sound and no picture, but thats it.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 07:54:33 pm »
I'm making a game!

1 sec...

http://villageoffools.ionichost.com/daskreigmanual.txt

Might be better to download, THEN view, heh. The file's mostly a planning tool for me, hence the incompletion.

I hope this has to do with the topic, I didn't really read it well. (By well I mean at all.)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 03:44:22 am »
Wow!

My internet went out last night shortly after I made the post about potentially starting this project.

Um, I still have to get ready for work this morning so apologies for not reading all of this thread before posting, I'll come back on my lunch break and do that. 

I agree that 2d is usually the the best way to go for folks just starting out making a game, but it is also much harder to make something that will make people think "cool!" in 2d.  I have the beginnings of a game engine that I have been working on, very crude at the moment, but I did write a plugin for 3d Studio to export to my format, and it loads the animations in and plays them, and you can move the camera around.  not impresive, but a start.  My plans, before the idea of making it a forum project, were to make a series of small games that built up to what the "final" one would be.  That is, if I run with my idea of this LAN co-op superhero game I would make a first game out of just flying, then a game out of multiplayer competitive flying(prolly a race to collect floating stuff), then a game with co-op against some enemies...etc.  The advantage is that at any point after the first iteration you have a game to show people, the disadvantage is that you are stopping to get it presentable at each stage before it is anywhere near "done".

This is pretty exciting!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 04:45:17 am »
Yay!   :)

Can't wait until you get home from work.

PS gravball is really fun

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:38:39 am »
http://3das.noeska.com/download.aspx is the best game creator I've seen so far(for 3D point & click adventures), but I just started looking this morning. I actually started a thread hoping to get more suggestions on how to make your own games (no one's posted anything yet, but here it is: http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=692.0;topicseen)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 07:35:41 am »
Thanks, Ovi!  The Gravball game on my website is actually a remake of one of my first games ever.

Glad to see you guys are interested in making games!

I started another thread about brainstoming ideas:
http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=704.0

and while that goes I'll be thinking about how we could make this sort of development work...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 01:29:57 pm »
Not sure how i missed this thread, but I actually make curriculum to teach middle school and high school kids how to make 3d games... I Use DarkBASIC... I was also making my own engine in ActionScript, and I'm now working with a demo team to do more in C++... so if anyone comes up with a coherent game design, I know the programming to flesh out some simple ideas...

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 02:52:26 pm »
Hmm... I dunno if there just isn't the interest to do it or whether people are waiting for me to organize something.  I'll go bump the game ideas thread and see what happens. 

I am using C++ and OpenGL for my current project.  I got my start with DarkBasic.  It's really great if you already know some programming and want to get started in making games, but it becomes a real pain to work with on larger projects.

Not sure how i missed this thread, but I actually make curriculum to teach middle school and high school kids how to make 3d games... I Use DarkBASIC... I was also making my own engine in ActionScript, and I'm now working with a demo team to do more in C++... so if anyone comes up with a coherent game design, I know the programming to flesh out some simple ideas...
That's awesome!  Where do you teach?  Are you hiring?!?!
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 07:49:58 am »
Hmm... I dunno if there just isn't the interest to do it or whether people are waiting for me to organize something. I'll go bump the game ideas thread and see what happens.

I am using C++ and OpenGL for my current project. I got my start with DarkBasic. It's really great if you already know some programming and want to get started in making games, but it becomes a real pain to work with on larger projects.

That's awesome! Where do you teach? Are you hiring?!?!

If you've read anything about I Support Learning and the Video Game Development curriculum that was in the DarkBasic newsletter, that's the curriculum we did. We're working on a bunch of other things like music video production, residential home desing, robots and invention, and tons more. Not really hiring right now - we're a small company. I love squest and was dissapointed I couldn't find it on the site to redownload it later - glad to see it's still out there!

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 07:57:20 am »
I never did sign up for the newsletter...I'm gonna leave myself a note to check that stuff out when I get home from work.

I love squest and was dissapointed I couldn't find it on the site to redownload it later - glad to see it's still out there!

...you can get it from my site: http://www.meyermike.com/viewgame.php?id=7
or were you saying that my site is broken?  I'll go take a look...
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 09:09:31 am »
I've used this program personally, and can honestly say it is a PERFECT 2d game creator. www.clickteam.com (The Games Factory).
And if you want a much more advanced program, that can do everything that TGF does and more- Multimedia Fusion on the same site. I've started lots of games on TGF, but never completed one due to my inherent laziness.
Try it out and tell me what you think.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:07 pm »
...you can get it from my site: http://www.meyermike.com/viewgame.php?id=7
or were you saying that my site is broken? I'll go take a look...

No it used to be on the sidebars on DarkBasic's site - i think for one of the competitions maybe... but it isn't in their game gallery any more. I found it on your site again :)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2005, 02:13:17 pm »
I know Java, and can create simple applet or application based games.  Check my website (xanga) for some of the stuff I did so far.

Here's an interesting page I found about terrain generation: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/27recursion/

It also shows how to recursively draw plasma clouds and other goodies.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 11:35:49 am »
whatever it is, please give some kind of nod off to this fourm! lol.

(and it would be nice if the game were sci-fi themed. just a suggestion.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 10:51:38 am »
I would really LOVE a good space trader game. Trade Wars is probably the best currently IMO. I remember one from a long time ago that was pretty good as well but I can't find it. Something Pirates.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 02:14:16 pm »
Did anyone ever play Diaspora? It's some old space game that died a long time ago. I last played it about seven years ago when I first got my computer (nice old Windows 95 that ran slow as hell). It was more like a graphical MUD than anything else.
Your two options were to either be a pirate and blow weaklings up (because you certainly couldn't take on stronger players), or go around and trade stuff between planets. I thought it was pretty good.
Then there's Freelancer. I've got a server for that. I wish it was a little better, but it's still pretty fun.

It'd be nice if we could come up with some kind of basic trading model, and work from there.
I've been screwing around in Game Maker for a while. Made some really simple platformers. As for programming some kind of fluctuating market with supply and demand and all that... no idea where to start.
I'd love to though. This is why Uncharted Waters 2 is my favorite game of all time.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 07:42:24 pm »
I like the economic model in trade wars because you always buy cheap and sell high. You get to be the middleman and make the big $$$bling$$$.

Offline DarkLordofChaosX

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2005, 04:20:39 pm »
hey guys,
If you need a programmer in Java, I could help you out there. And of possible relevance, I already have sort of a 2d physics engine, with collisions, gravity, forces and such. But right now the whole thing only works with balls. Hope I can help out a bit. I just finished taking AP Comp Sci in high school, and I do some coding on my own.
-Dark
Monkeys with guns? :-D

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2005, 05:04:48 pm »
I wish my high school offered AP comp sci. They have EVERYTHING else, but not that. I was going to take the exam anyways but then I found out that it's all in Java.

Offline DarkLordofChaosX

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2005, 05:10:38 pm »
yeah, thats rough. A suprisingly large amount of schools dont offer AP CS, its a shame. Really one of my favorite courses i ever took. Java is somewhat easy to learn on your own however.
Monkeys with guns? :-D

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2005, 05:52:18 pm »
Yeah, I've seen (and heard) enough Java code from my friends to know that it's enough like C++ that I could learn it quickly.