Author Topic: The Official Game Creation Topic!  (Read 13471 times)

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
The Official Game Creation Topic!
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:21:05 pm »
This can be the base for all the ideas and communication for the proposed creation of some kind of game by the forum members, even though this wasn't my idea (you have Borogove to thank for that) i felt we needed a seperate post instead of hijacking others!

So anyway, post your ideas, and intrest if you want to help us out or join the team!(that is if theres enough intrest for this to go ahead!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:45:06 pm by Gandysampras »

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Game Creation Topic!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 05:35:47 pm »
Just something I was saying in response to this...

Hmmmmm..... I think that the game idea is actually a great idea. To bad I don't know jack about programming! Well anyhoo The game would need to be similar to Will's games but at the same time new and possibly intriguing. Must think....

Well...

If you want to get noticed, why not pull an idea completely out of left field? Something nobody has thought of, and make it work. History is not made by those that duplicate the greatness of others, but by those that create the original greatness.

That being said, I propose a game nobody's thought of yet, something new and inventive... no, I don't have any ideas.
Since when is being "normal" a requirement for survival? Exactly.
"Is it funny? No? Not interested."

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 05:38:05 pm »
I think it should be a very simple game. Maybe if we find find a programmer, we could make a game using simple procedural generation as a tribute to Will Wright?

Obviously the game would be 2D so its easier to make.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:39:40 pm »
I hope this "game" takes off the ground. I have never been involved with creating a game (except for bard games) and I think it would be fun.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:41:39 pm »
I suppose that we could start with something very very simple (eg flash) and the progress from there, what do you guys think?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 05:43:12 pm »
What kind of game would it be? I think we need an idea of what the game will be about before we can do much else.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 05:44:54 pm »
Thats what this post is here for!If you have a concept then great, post it!

And if not then post which game type (eg platformer) you would most like to see!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:43 pm »
I think it should be a very simple game. Maybe if we find find a programmer, we could make a game using simple procedural generation as a tribute to Will Wright?

I think it would be neat to do it procedurally, if anyone knows how to do that. Maybe we could make our own simple creature creator?

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 05:49:01 pm »
Hmm... brilliant! Start small, then work your way up to something, oh... to say the least, worthwhile. Starting huge for your first attempt is a surefire way to either crash and burn, or rocket to greatness, though the odds for failure increase exponentially as the size of the project increases. Start small, get a basis on what you can do, then overshoot that by a larger amount each time.

That being said, I have a small idea for where to start. If you start with something involving procedural technology, why not just a simple platformer with characters you can customize? Probably a bit much for the first attempt, but it would be good for later.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 05:54:09 pm »
That being said, I have a small idea for where to start. If you start with something involving procedural technology, why not just a simple platformer with characters you can customize? Probably a bit much for the first attempt, but it would be good for later.

We would need to develop a way for the characters to "walk" procedurally, similar to the way Spore figures out how the creatures walk. Then we could add all the option for customizing after.

At least I think I really don't know a thing about programming.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:54:54 pm »
That procedural stuff with non 3D type games would be quite difficult I think.
EDIT: Seeing as it involves a lot of math with the bone structure. It sounds like in Spore, the procedural stuff and the customization go hand in hand.
That is, if you folks are thinking about a 2D game. I think a platformer (hopefully a sidescrolling platformer if possible) would be a good place to begin.

There's Game Maker. I was thinking about getting back into that. I'm not terribly good at it, but I thought I'd give it another shot; since I'm a bit brainier than the last time I tried it (a few years ago), scripting should be a bit easier.
I'll go see soon and get back to you.

And I guess I'm a fair spriter too, though committing myself to a project has always been a difficulty with me. I'm so lazy.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:58:05 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 05:57:12 pm »
That procedural stuff with non 3D type games would be quite difficult I think.
EDIT: Seeing as it involves a lot of math with the bone structure. It sounds like in Spore, the procedural stuff and the customization go hand in hand.
That is, if you folks are thinking about a 2D game. I think a platformer (hopefully a sidescrolling platformer if possible) would be a good place to begin.

It doesn't have to be 2D, if it is easier to do it 3D then why not? Again I don't know anything about programming games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:06:37 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline D_Malachi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 06:12:06 pm »
And I couldn't program to save my life, so... well, first off, we'll need to figure out who can do what, cook up an idea, then look for somebody that actually knows something about how to program.

Though for the easiest part of this all would be getting ideas. Harder, though, would be getting GOOD ideas. Ideas actually worth putting into production. But, as always, start small and work your way up from there.

Anyhow, 3D sounds good, but trying to make a full 3D game at first may be a bit much, a 3D game that's played across a visibly 2D world (3D graphics all around, but played along a plane... much like Super Smash Bros., if you know the game's system. You play along the X and Y axes of the game, though the Z is visible, it's all but useless aside from for graphics.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 06:23:42 pm »
First of all, I'm not well versed in 3D, so just keep that in mind while I spout of a bunch of stuff that may not make much sense.

For 3D, you'll need some kind of engine to run the game in, you'll need a 3D editing program for building the environments and for character models, you'll need to come up with (probably) hand-made animations for the bones, and you will need textures.
It may not sound like a lot, but that's quite a bit of stuff. And work.

I've got some weird program that I got with SimCity 4 called GMax (or maybe I got it off the SimCity website. It's a content developing thing.). It's pretty much 3D Studio Max except... named differently. It can do animations and stuff.
Too bad that animation course I took at high school was complete crap. That's no help.

But yeah, I'm bound to just go on and make a crappy little 2D game with Game Maker here just so you can get a few visual ideas on the 2D end. If the thing even works properly, I'll post a link. (note that this may take awhile so don't hold your breath)
Just need to find a place to host exe files that doesn't charge money...

EDIT: The game I am making is a simple little thing. A simple top-down thing currently, you control a red ball with a weird smile. I'm going to make it able to shoot some weird projectile (maybe a bottle or something), and I'm going to program a few baddies that walk around aimlessly.
Nothing major so far. I've seen some sweet stuff out of Game Maker, and if someone here has the time, they oughta give it a look.
It has two modes of game creation: there's a click and drag interface (if any of you are familiar with Klik 'n Play, it's like that). There is also an easy to learn scripting thing.
See, if I knew enough, I'd be working on some physics and gravity type stuff.
But not just yet... eventually though.
And sorry if I'm hijacking the thread  :-\. I'm not trying to stop the rest of you folks from coming up with ideas. This isn't THE project we're all doing, but merely a sample, and I do hope you'll all do samples of your own (with the Flash or Visual Basic or whatever stuff you may have available to you).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:45:47 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:28:49 pm »
I will wait patiently.  :)

Just out of curiosity, what are you making? *a game* I don't know what else to ask until I see something.

But I will wait patiently.  :)