Author Topic: New Feature: Scale  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
New Feature: Scale
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:05:45 am »
Everyone has something that could make or break the game for them. This won't break it for me, but trying to be "create content" in spore will put me in serious hurt if nothing's done about it...

Someone mentioned we don't know the size of a willowsaurus and that got me thinking. It's going to be awfully hard to make a small, squirrel-sized creature or giant elephant-sized one, if we have no idea what scale we're working in the editor. And not just the creature editor. How can we make doors and windows on our buildings, cockpits for our vehicles, the right size for our creature, if we take a shot in the dark in the editor each time, and then have to hope when a creature in our city walks up to it it doesn't look wonky?

I think all the editors should have a size scale, list dimenions (even if its in pixels, I don't care, I just need some frame of reference.) Another helpful feature would be to be able to pan back in the editor. If you're all the way zoomed-in and make a creature that fills the screen, it would be the size of a mouse, if you're all the way zoomed-out and make a creature that fills the screen, it would be the size of a T-rex. Bonus points for the option to add a human silhouette to get a better idea of size, but I'd rather see my creature's relative size.

(I really hope the devs read this, or I'm going to go bat$$it when I find my superpredator is mouse-sized, and try to make statues of my creatures in the building editor and robot-sized things in the vehicle editor!)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: New Feature: Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:38:35 am »
Hmm. This sounds familiar. Oh yea, I went completely bat**** crazy thinking about this months ago.

I love this post.

I've been thinking about the need for a police-line-up style tool for the creature editor for sometime now.
It would be awful to make your creature look just the way you want it to and later find out it's only one foot tall.
It should give vertical and horizontal measurements so you only had to rotate the creature pad to find width and length.
Also, some sort of total volume and mass readings should be given.

Excuse me while I go put this on the wish list.  Keep up the good work.

I've been thinking about the need for a police-line-up style tool for the creature editor for sometime now.
It would be awful to make your creature look just the way you want it to and later find out it's only one foot tall.
It should give vertical and horizontal measurements so you only had to rotate the creature pad to find width and length.
Also, some sort of total volume and mass readings should be given.

The problem is what scale to use.  English, Metric, neither fit the bill for a international game of interstellar lets pretend.
Assuming that WW's guess is right that the smallest creature will be hamster sized and the largest will be elephant sized an arbitrary scale would look something like this.  Notice the use of ratios and an abundance of rounding.  Edit: Weight Units are now Mass Units.

Height                    Weight                Volume              New Height                New Mass                                      average Hamster        2 in./5cm         4 ounces/ 120 g               ?              1 DU (Distance Unit)        1 MU (Mass Unit)

LARGE Elephant       13 ft./ 4m        15400 lbs./ 7000kg             ?                     80 DU                      60000 MU     

Let's try it out:

Human     6 ft. tall        180 lbs.         now  36 DU tall        720 MU
Naucean  10ft. long      300 lbs.         now  60 DU long    1200 MU
Torpal      8 ft. tall        450 lbs.         now  48 DU tall      1800 MU
Quillaran   9.5 ft. tall     550 lbs.         now   57 DU tall      2200 MU

I like the distinct in game ratio this would give creatures.  I know this needs refinement but I hope you see what I'm going for here.

Oh, here's the "math" ratios if you haven't already figured it out and need them.

1 DU = .16 (1/6) ft. = .05 m (5 cm)

1 MU = .25 lbs. = .11 kg

Edit:  Adding some formulas for simplicity.

Distance Units:
6 X (Creature Height/Length in Feet)= Creature Height/Length In DU

0.5 X (Creature Height/Length in Inches) = Creature Height/Length In DU

20 X (Creature Height/Length in Meters) = Creature Height/Length In DU

.2 X (Creature Height/Length in Centimeters) = Creature Height/Length In DU

Mass Units:

4X (Creature Mass in Pounds) = Creature Mass in MU               [I know the English unit of mass is the slug. The conversion is implicit.]

0.25 X (Creature Mass in Ounces) = Creature Mass in MU

9.1 X (Creature Mass in Kilograms) = Creature Mass in MU

0.009 X (Creature Mass in Grams) = Creature Mass in MU

Luckily, I've calmed down; but we still need a "How Big is This" button.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:23:29 am »
I think we can use the platform that we build on as a reference point, as the size of it does not change. But I do agree there should be some reference to our creature when were making buildings and vehicles.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:28:33 am »
Someone mentioned we don't know the size of a willowsaurus and that got me thinking. It's going to be awfully hard to make a small, squirrel-sized creature or giant elephant-sized one, if we have no idea what scale we're working in the editor. And not just the creature editor. How can we make doors and windows on our buildings, cockpits for our vehicles, the right size for our creature, if we take a shot in the dark in the editor each time, and then have to hope when a creature in our city walks up to it it doesn't look wonky?

Good point, but there's a minimal amount of trial and error involved... Even if there's not any hint of the actual size in the game, I assume you can enter those editor whenever, it's just a matter of "woops, it looks bad, I'll tweak the door to make it slightly smaller". Can we even zoom in the editors?

Offline benjaminge

• Galaxian Guru
  • He said it, not me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:40:30 am »
wouldnt you be able to get a rough (or exact....) idea of size when u test the creature out in the editor? the landscape wont change, so i hope it will be pretty obvious how big the creature is.
Apparently the warning "do not try this at home" really means "do not try this at all"... no one told ME!!!!

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 03:26:56 am »
The building editor in GDC05 had a little willosaur in it so show the scale of the building. Something like that would be cool for the editor as well.

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: New Feature: Scale
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 03:38:32 am »
or you could make you creature first.... eat something lay an egg and in the next evolutionary step you can make your creature smaller than it was before :P

Offline dafool

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 11:37:45 am »
wouldnt you be able to get a rough (or exact....) idea of size when u test the creature out in the editor? the landscape wont change, so i hope it will be pretty obvious how big the creature is.

Solution.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 02:52:25 pm »
The building editor in GDC05 had a little willosaur in it so show the scale of the building. Something like that would be cool for the editor as well.

yeah, i remember that. Most likely you'll be able to produce one of our own creatures during other editors
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.